Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Null Adepts and Negamages
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Asheron
This website here has rules for these two types of mages, Null Adepts and Negamages. The negamage is basically a specialized Counterspeller, but the Null Adept has the aura of an inanimate object and is pretty much invisible to spirits.

What kind of BP are we talking about, and what abilities would they have, if they're even allowed?
Siege
Being unique in a world of mega-corporations spending millions, if not billions on the next "competitive advantage" could be a really, really bad thing.

That said, there is nothing inherently unplayable about the concept - they are nigh untouchable by spells, but if they attempt to cyber up, the advantage is lost.

As a role-playing aspect, it's interesting - the long-term viability of such a character is limited at best and ultimately isn't especially unbalancing, in my humble opinion.

-Siege
Fortune
Not in my game!

I've hated the whole concept since I first saw it back during the 1st/2nd edition days.
Siege
QUOTE (Fortune)
Not in my game!

I've hated the whole concept since I first saw it back during the 1st/2nd edition days.

You hate the concept, but from a mechanical viewpoint, do you see anything inherently unbalancing or overpowered?

From what I can tell, besides being an interesting role-playing piece, they're pretty well under-powered for anything but magic-intensive games.

-Siege
Fortune
No, I don't see them as an 'uberclass' or anything. I just don't agree with the way it is presented. Besides which, you can do pretty much the same thing (especially with Adepts), if not better using the core rules.
Siege
QUOTE (Fortune)
No, I don't see them as an 'uberclass' or anything. I just don't agree with the way it is presented. Besides which, you can do pretty much the same thing (especially with Adepts), if not better using the core rules.

Granted, which is why I can't see any real appeal except for a certain role-playing angst factor.

But if someone wants a giant "I'm unique! Kidnap me, erase my SIN and dissect me in a hidden lab!" tattoo, more power to them. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Cardul
QUOTE (Asheron)
This website here has rules for these two types of mages, Null Adepts and Negamages. The negamage is basically a specialized Counterspeller, but the Null Adept has the aura of an inanimate object and is pretty much invisible to spirits.

What kind of BP are we talking about, and what abilities would they have, if they're even allowed?

OK, back to the original post, the answer is simple:

Is that source published by FASA, Fanpro, or Catalyst Games? No, it is not. Therefore, it is not Canon. Therefore, unless Catalyst publishes something with them in it, they are not part of the Shadowrun World. There is not even anything similar to them in Earthdawn, the 4th World. So, why would they exist now?
Ryu
Negamages 10 BP, Counterspelling = Essence, may initiate, only available power is Shielding. Why one would want to play one is beyond me.

Null Adepts -20 BP. Every mage on astral perception will immediatly know. Akin to a maxxed hunted flaw in SR3, both player and GM should agree that the char is basically already dead.

My game? Negamages are out because I do not houserule things canon handles well, Null Adepts are out because there are much more interesting options to play "basically dead" chars.

---
Cardul: Your answer is "the awakening continues, the number of oddities increases".
Abbandon
Eh....I dont like them. Your either living or your not living, there is no third option. You want to be invisable and immune to mana and yet use it?? No dice. You could have some anti magic ability if you were NOT an adept or mage but you would also not be allowed to have cyber or else reduce the ability's effect. In essense your playing the magically immune dwarf.

I thought this would be about using characters who specialize in reducing the stats of enemies hehehehe.
deek
I like both concepts...I've often used a uber-counterspelling mage against my players...dispelling buffs on the players, rendering spells ineffective and the like...it really throws a curve to the players when they expect the mage to handle xyz and he comes back saying he has nothing.

And the null adept...everyone is saying that the concept is already dead. I disagree...I think its playable. I have had a couple players that didn't have their shooting skills as good as the rest, but contributed to combat. I think to make the concept work in game, you just have to build some other useful skills around the character.

Some people like to play characters. Ones that give a challenge to incorporate into a group. Granted, this normally only occurs after a group has gone through several iterations of characters and finds they want something "different" to run with...so I don't see someone that is making their first character ever choosing one of these concepts...but, its not worthless!
Aaron
Er ... can't you just do a "negamage" with Aptitude (Counterspelling), Magic Resistance, a high Counterspelling rating, and Shielding and Absorption and/or Reflecting?
Siege
Absolutely - which is why I can't figure out why the attraction, except for the inevitable <drumroll>I'm a Nega Mage!.

There are little or no mechanical advantages and the character becomes a walking bullseye for just about everyone. From a quick skim of mechanics, the character isn't even immune to magic, just inherently more resistant. And loses resistance when augmented with cyber.

Now the contention is the flavor of the concept and how well it fits with the canon concepts, which is a decision inherently left to the individual GM.

-Siege
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012