Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You're Under Arrest
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheMadDutchman
We've all discussed in the past about how effective Lonestar is but that was usually confined to the runners v mook scenarios.

I was watching Police Story 1 and 2 today and it got me thinking about the law from a different angle: detective work.

In movies like the Police Story series, Hard Boiled, Bullitt, the Lethal Weapon Series, and more others than I could possibly list the cops will spend days if not weeks tracking down the criminals before that final showdown.

My question for you is: Do any of you ever develop Prime Runner detectives to be used as antagonists in your games? Are the cops (or corporate security departments) actively pursuing shadowrunners or are the only cops you ever concern yourself w/ the flat foot mooks found in the antagonist section of the main book?

I personally have decided that I will be developing a detective antagonist to try and bring my Pcs to justice.
ludomastro
Personally, I have never thought about it in those terms; however, consider this most excellent idea YOINKED™.
Signal
QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)
We've all discussed in the past about how effective Lonestar is but that was usually confined to the runners v mook scenarios.

I was watching Police Story 1 and 2 today and it got me thinking about the law from a different angle: detective work.

In movies like the Police Story series, Hard Boiled, Bullitt, the Lethal Weapon Series, and more others than I could possibly list the cops will spend days if not weeks tracking down the criminals before that final showdown.

My question for you is: Do any of you ever develop Prime Runner detectives to be used as antagonists in your games? Are the cops (or corporate security departments) actively pursuing shadowrunners or are the only cops you ever concern yourself w/ the flat foot mooks found in the antagonist section of the main book?

I personally have decided that I will be developing a detective antagonist to try and bring my Pcs to justice.

I'm taking a completely different tack and trying to start a campaign where the players ARE the cops chasing after Shadowrunners, as well as the usual plethora of criminal scumbags. There will also be X-Files moments where I throw in scary magical mayhem and vast corporate/government conspiracies as well.
kzt
We aggressively avoided doing things that would lead to the police chasing us. If nobody ever reports a crime the whole crime scene, detective cycle doesn't start. As most of our targets really didn't want the swat and k9 teams to thoroughly search every inch of the complex and have an evidence team crawling up their butt, they typically wouldn't make that call. To assist them in this, we tried really hard not to kill or maim people - since that pretty much has to be reported, plus did the whole mask & Glove/invisible stuff.
ludomastro
QUOTE (kzt)
We aggressively avoided doing things that would lead to the police chasing us. If nobody ever reports a crime the whole crime scene, detective cycle doesn't start. As most of our targets really didn't want the swat and k9 teams to thoroughly search every inch of the complex and have an evidence team crawling up their butt, they typically wouldn't make that call. To assist them in this, we tried really hard not to kill or maim people - since that pretty much has to be reported, plus did the whole mask & Glove/invisible stuff.

I don't doubt that the Azzies wouldn't want extra scrutiny; however, wouldn't they have their own detectives?
knasser
QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)

Interesting idea. Practical experience with certain types of player warns me that the first response a lot of groups would have to finding Sherlock Holmes on their tail, would be to shoot Mr. Holmes rather a lot with automatic weapons.

Something to watch out for.
Karaden
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (TheMadDutchman @ Dec 27 2007, 01:07 AM)

Interesting idea. Practical experience with certain types of player warns me that the first response a lot of groups would have to finding Sherlock Holmes on their tail, would be to shoot Mr. Holmes rather a lot with automatic weapons.

Sure, if they ever figure out Mr. Homes is on to them, but knowing that someone is on your trail in this manner is actually kind of hard, especially if they are careful and don't do anything really stupid like: *holds up picture of PC* "Anyone seen this guy?! I'm trying to track down and bring this man to justice, can any of you help me?" In the middle of a seedy bar the PCs are known to hang out at.
knasser
QUOTE (Karaden)
QUOTE (knasser @ Dec 26 2007, 08:58 PM)

Sure, if they ever figure out Mr. Homes is on to them, but knowing that someone is on your trail in this manner is actually kind of hard, especially if they are careful and don't do anything really stupid like: *holds up picture of PC* "Anyone seen this guy?! I'm trying to track down and bring this man to justice, can any of you help me?" In the middle of a seedy bar the PCs are known to hang out at.

Oh certainly, but you have a conflict with the need to scare the PCs by informing them that they're being hunted. The more you seek to bring out the dramatic in the character, the more reason (and information) you give them to hunt down their pursuer.

PC's, I have learnt, are not by nature the passively accepting types. Even when the cows start falling, you can be certain at least one of them will be pointing an automatic weapon at the sky and letting rip with manic abandon.
toturi
QUOTE (Karaden)

How is Mr Holmes going about finding the PCs? For me, since I am the GM and I'm running this NPC, I am going to boil the whole self masturbatory RP thing down to a Knowledge skill dice roll or a series of opposed skill checks, probably the appropriate Street Knowledge skill and Intuition or something similar to the skill/s used in Legwork. So unless I have been allowing my PCs to skate through with "roleplay" during their Legwork segment, I think that finding out Mr Holmes is on their trail would be quite easy, at least no harder than finding out Mr Johnson is actually working for Lowfyr.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Karaden @ Dec 26 2007, 09:33 PM)

Am I the only one who has this picture in his head of a traditionally dressed Sherlock Holmes played by Robert Pactrick holding up a picture of a PC and asking "Have you seen this boy" in a mechanical manner?

That would make shooting him with automatic weapons a far less effective tactic than it would otherwise be.
Clyde
An investigation would leak back to them from their contacts. Law enforcement would be the most likely, with organized crime and perhaps fixers further down the list.

Those contacts might not give them the full dossier on the lead investigator.

Smart investigators have written investigative plans on file. They take detailed notes after every witness interview, as well. Even if they use a confidential informant, that info is somewhere within the organization as well. So capping the lead detective may not do as much good as you'd like in stopping the investigation.

Detectives in major police departments usually carry a low caseload as well - no more than a dozen or so at a time. That means that you are automatically a suspect in your detective's murder and the list of suspects is fairly small. Even if you've left no trace evidence the 'Star will start looking.

Finally, the cops hate to be messed with. As a player, I'd be more likely to lie low and pay out large sums of nuyen to have one of my known SINs take an extended holiday outside their jurisdiction - such as in New Zealand. The cops might drop a case that goes cold or gets stale. They'll be out for revenge if the lead investigator gets murdered.
kzt
Big time. It makes it personal, gets huge high level attention and the best people assigned. And this isn't the modern kinder and gentler police. They have authority and force and are not afraid to use it.

For example Texas Ranger Captain Frank A. Hamer and FBI agent Melvin Purvis. For example "It was only after the FBI mistakenly gunned down a local resident and two innocent Civilian Conservation Corps workers (as they were about to drive away in a car) that the Dillinger gang were alerted to the presence of the FBI" and "As Major Clawson, the wounded guard lay dying, Lee Simmons, the head of the Texas Department of Corrections, reportedly promised him that every person involved in the breakout would be hunted down and killed. He kept his word except in the case of Henry Methvin, whose life was exchanged in return for betraying Bonnie and Clyde." Not to mention "Dillinger was shot dead by FBI agents, supposedly going for his gun, though some dispute this since Dillinger did not have a gun and was shot three times in the back as he ran. If true, this would be consistent with the story that Purvis ordered Pretty Boy Floyd shot as he lay wounded. The sniper Chester Smith, who shot Floyd claimed in a 1984 interview that he only wounded Pretty Boy and that Melvin Purvis ordered him shot point blank after questioning him about the Kansas City Massacre."
deek
I do have antagonists for my PCs, but usually not the "law". Mafia, Ancients, Halloweeners, Triads and occaisionally a powerful figure that has been affected by one of the runners' jobs. I suppose one time I did have a Detective Murtog and Riggs arrive and a player's door, but it was more in conjunction with a Mafia connection than his own sloppy trail on a run.

I usually use Lone Star or Knight Errant as a time limit to the job, meaning that I keep the pressure on by having any alarm triggered give them a much shorter time before they arrive...but I normally don't have any detectives building a case on the team...but its a good idea if you don't have a bunch of other antagonists, IMO.
stormcrow
In our game set in Occupation Era San Francisco, the initial run placed the runners on scene at a clusterfuck of a fight that wiped out most of two ghoul gangs and a Ares Knight-Errant FireWatch assault team and resulted in the players running off with the goods that the FireWatch team was trying to retrieve. One of the FireWatch team members escaped (with Krieger strain HMHVV and now she's hiding from Ares) and several drones made it out. A Special Investigation Team from Ares is looking into the matter. One of the NPC's on that run secretly worked for Ares, so they have pics of the team from his cybereyes and know a runner bar they have frequented. That NPC was killed by the forces manipulating one of the ghoul gangs (while he had the bulk of the party's money in his account) and the party has drone footage of two Men in Black (part of the Ares Special Investigation Team) entering his doss to get evidence. The footage revealed familiarity with the local law enforcement corp's response time and hostility between the two MIB's. The rigger on that Special Investigation Team set three flyspies on the party's rigger's van when the rigger met someone at the bar again. That compromised the team's best streetdoc/cyber/biodoc contact, blew off an adept/face's hands (for a minute, 'til the medic/mage healed her) and let the team know they were being watched. They got surveillance footage from a passive drone they left at a crash scene of a mage flying down from a chopper to investigate a fight scene they'd fled. They'd left behind their main vehicle (they did firebomb it) and Astral traces of spirits and spells. Their footage caught some tense jurisdictional disputes between the Ares SIT, Lone Eagle (the local law enforcement corp) and the Park Service.
One PC mage has been contacted by the mage on that Ares SIT via spirit and Astral message drop. The mage on the SIT was an old Resistance buddy who is now an unwilling investigator for Ares, compelled by carcerands and ritual samples and their possession of his daughter. He's contacted the PC to get his daughter out and promised to fuck up the investigation in exchange.
The Ares SIT mage's partner is a straight-up Ares man. He wants the party in Ares lockdown for interrogation and wants the package back. They don't have it anymore and the people who do kindly sent Ares footage of the party that showed them clearly in possession of it.

Ares probably wouldn't send them to prison, but would certainly use them as its warbitches until dead. All this while they also deal with the ire of General Saito (whose oldest son they killed two session ago and took his 600 y.o. heirloom katana) and the Emperor (whose favorite niece they crippled and put into a coma at the same time.)

I highly recommend making runners victims of their own success. Builds up a good stable of antagonists and keeps it fun and interesting all around.
toturi
Unless you are running a game set in the future of the SR4, the Emperor of Japan is a little too young to have a niece and the last I heard his Imperial family(other than his new wife) were afflicted with a bad case of the deads. But given that this is the 6th world, hey, dead people having children... isn't that strange.
Ryu
The police as antagonist works, one special police man doesn´t (see knassers posts). I implement that by having the contacts of the PCs tell them that officers are asking around, or by offering money for contact information to the PCs that did not mess up. It also helps to create paranoia if you habitually spell out what evidence the chars left behind on the run.

What you can do is a chief of security that is out for revenge. The runners tend to think that "the corp" is sending strike teams after them, and need to figure out that the whole thing is personal before they can fix it.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (knasser)
PC's, I have learnt, are not by nature the passively accepting types. Even when the cows start falling, you can be certain at least one of them will be pointing an automatic weapon at the sky and letting rip with manic abandon.

biggrin.gif
Welcome back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012