Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Handblades
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fygg Nuuton
Okay so hand razors are like claws, spurs are for wolverine wanna-be's. What's a handblade look like? anyone have a good description or maybe a drawing, even if it's crude?
Stahlseele
as far as i remember there was a picture of them once i think in man and machine or something like that . . they are more or less supposed to look like a usual knife that comes out of the edge of your hand, parallel to your pinky i thinky ^^
no, don't ask me how that is supposed to work, i have no idea either . . basically it is one spur single big spur (allthough obviously not as big as the single big SPUR) that simply comes out of the side of your hand instead of below/above from the forearm . .
JBlades
Check out the guy on the cover of SR4. The bald human in the middle(-ish) of the frame.
Critias
I thought his was supposed to be a (lame) spur, actually (given the length of it, and their descriptions of how spurs can be mounted).

On handblades -- Hold a knife in a combat ready poster. Now, pretend the grip is built into your knuckles. In a blade up position, you've now got a blade sticking up from your knuckles and past your thumb, for some stabby-stabby. If you prefer a blade down position, you've got a knife sticking out from your knuckles and down past your pinky, for some stabby-stabby. When the handblade retracts, I guess it just sort of switchblade-pops back into your knuckles. How you can still bend your hand, etc, with a knife blade stuck in there is anyone's guess.

I think, all in all, handblades are just a shame. They should be cooler than they are (and probably should be able to be used with a regular edged weapons/knives skill, given how they're supposedly designed), but it seems like gals always go for cat-scratch hand razors, and guys always go for Logan-wannabe spurs (leaving handblades seldom chosen).
ShadowDragon8685
Perhaps it's a kind of katar-like blade that snaps out of your forearm, though your hand, and mounts to the knuckles on it's way out to punch someone with a big-ass blade as wide as your hand?
Kagetenshi
My guess is it's a blade that lies along the fifth metacarpal bone with a projection to anchor it that slides out and forward, with the result being a blade projecting from the side of the hand along the little finger (or past that knuckle, with the hand closed).

Edit: and it turns out that, apart from the precise description, I mostly got that from SR3 p301. The other possibility I could see is it popping out straight or angled (with straight probably requiring more of a chopping motion with the hand to deal damage).

~J
Snow_Fox
A lot of the older published works from 1st and 2nd ed have pics but, at the risk of sounding like a fan girl-think Wolverine!
Fygg Nuuton
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
A lot of the older published works from 1st and 2nd ed have pics but, at the risk of sounding like a fan girl-think Wolverine!

I thought thats what spurs were?
Stahlseele
Edit: and it turns out that, apart from the precise description, I mostly got that from SR3 p301.

that's the picture i meant, i just can't find it somehow x.x . .

(Snow_Fox)

I thought thats what spurs were?

exactly!
FlakJacket
Here's the illustration for hand blades that was in Second Edition's Cybertechnology sourcebook - it's the upper one. The blurb that went with it said,

QUOTE ("Cybertechnology")
The hand blade slips out of the side of the hand opposite the thumb parallel to the hand. This dandy little weapons can make a punch pretty fragging nasty. The side of the blade closest to you own hand has no sharp edge, so you can't cut yourself by accident. You can also get the hand blade implanted in a normal hand, but the hand-side edge tends to bruise flesh if you strike out sideways and hit something too hard. That's no problem for hand blades in a cyberarm, of course.

Hopefully this falls under fair usage policy rather than 'Smithers, release the lawyers' one. smile.gif
Snow_Fox
Ok my bad, confusing terms, sorry.
martindv
The terms aren't even remotely confusing, especially if you read the other posts before reaching for the Add Reply button.
Moon-Hawk
Handblades, Just what DO they look like?
Blades. In your hand. My point is, we have a set of stats, damage, essence, price, etc that provides game balance and all the important crunchy bits. As for the fluff description of what it looks like? Whatever the GM/PCs want. Just like a single vehicle stat block can represent several similar cars by several manufacturers, the stats for a hand blade, or a spur, can describe any number of sharp things at the ends of limbs, however you want them to look, and it'll be fine. Maybe it's wolverine claws, maybe it's two claws, or one claw, maybe it's a bowie knife, maybe it's a spike in their palm, or sharp ridges on their knuckles, whatever, it won't change the stats.
Not all "hand blades" have to be identical in appearance, nor should they be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012