Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: here comes the archologies...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Red Menace
whoa...thats pretty wild
Moon-Hawk
All that in one building? The logistics of managing all that are staggering! Why, they might even need some kind of expert program to assist in the administration of an arcology that size. cool.gif
ludomastro
I remember watching something about a similar building in Japan on the Science channel but now I can't find it. If I am remembering it correctly, the Japan building is still in early, early planning but would be bigger than this. It looks like this one is ready to get started though.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Alex)
I remember watching something about a similar building in Japan on the Science channel but now I can't find it. If I am remembering it correctly, the Japan building is still in early, early planning but would be bigger than this. It looks like this one is ready to get started though.

if we are thinking about the same one (a pyramid of some sort?), the one in japan appeared more like a architects wet dream then a true building...
ludomastro
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
if we are thinking about the same one (a pyramid of some sort?), the one in japan appeared more like a architects wet dream then a true building...

That's the one - it was pyramid-esque. Think a stack of nesting bowls in a large tower. Each "bowl" was basically a football (american or "soccer") stadium full of apartments and/or businesses with a park where the field/pitch would be.
DTFarstar
The outside mimicked Mt. Fugi if I recall.

Chris
ElFenrir
Heh, i have the thought of some rogue AI going insane here to the tune of ''КоробеÌ?йники''(Korobeiniki, or varied spellings). AKA: the main theme to Tetris. grinbig.gif
TW
QUOTE (Alex)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 31 2007, 04:18 PM)

That's the one - it was pyramid-esque. Think a stack of nesting bowls in a large tower. Each "bowl" was basically a football (american or "soccer") stadium full of apartments and/or businesses with a park where the field/pitch would be.

This the one you were thinking of? There also was a BBC documentary on it two or three years ago.
Grinder
That's still far away in the future.
ludomastro
QUOTE (TW)
This the one you were thinking of?

No - but that one is awesome.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (TW)
QUOTE (Alex)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 31 2007, 04:18 PM)

This the one you were thinking of? There also was a BBC documentary on it two or three years ago.

that was the one i had in mind...
Fortune
QUOTE (TW)
This the one you were thinking of?

I love this bit ...

QUOTE (Wiki)
The proposed structure is so large that it cannot be built with currently available materials, due to their weight. The design relies on the future availability of super-strong lightweight materials based on carbon nanotubes.
Jaid
yeah, it's got nothing on my superbuilding made out of solid unobtanium built using handwavium robots =P

*my* superbuilding is the size of a planet and can instantly transport across the universe at will! =S

(i mean, if you're just gonna make stuff up, why settle for reasonable goals?)
Kingmaker
It's easier to fleece the investors.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Jaid)
yeah, it's got nothing on my superbuilding made out of solid unobtanium built using handwavium robots =P

*my* superbuilding is the size of a planet and can instantly transport across the universe at will! =S

(i mean, if you're just gonna make stuff up, why settle for reasonable goals?)

Of course, before it can do that you need an Italian plumber to collect 6 big power stars.
Kayos Frawg
What about iSky City. There was a bit on it in extreme engineering, and I remember something about it being given a more serious look more recently.
ludomastro
QUOTE (Kayos Frawg)
What about iSky City. There was a bit on it in extreme engineering, and I remember something about it being given a more serious look more recently.

That's the one that I was thinking of.
hobgoblin
ah, had more or less forgotten about that one.
Mr. Unpronounceable
So Russia wants to build an archology on that swampy island in the middle of the river?

Heh - why not demolish the Cathedral of Christ the Savior again, since that's where Stalin was going to build his?
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
So Russia wants to build an archology on that swampy island in the middle of the river?

Of course, the first one will sink into the swamp. So they'll build a second one. That one will sink into the swamp. So they'll build a third one, which will burn down, fall over, then sink into the swamp. But the fourth one will stay up!
Jaid
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jan 2 2008, 03:55 PM)

Of course, the first one will sink into the swamp. So they'll build a second one. That one will sink into the swamp. So they'll build a third one, which will burn down, fall over, then sink into the swamp. But the fourth one will stay up!

they better build the first 3 cheap then, or they'll go bankrupt first =P
Jhaiisiin

And that's what they'll get! The strongest arcology in the land!
Slump
I don't think natural selection is the best idea for making buildings.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin)

And that's what they'll get! The strongest arcology in the land!

biggrin.gif
Spike
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

In Mother Russia the Buildings Swamp YOU!
Demerzel
QUOTE (Slump)

It makes me feel antiquated that not everyone on this forum immediately recognizes that dialogue, let alone completing the rest of the scene in their head...
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

No, the fourth one will mysteriously disappear into a time loop and will reappear again to help mankind in it's greatest need smile.gif

The name of the place is... bjorstovika 5!
ludomastro
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
The name of the place is... bjorstovika 5!

Babylon 5 reference?

I got lost about halfway through Season 3 and never picked it back up.
FrankTrollman
I think the key is that this will be the pace that Vladimir Putin puts his giant laser to fire at the moon. It can be a much bigger and better laser than the one that the Ba'hai keep in the Lotus Temple.

-Frank
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Demerzel)
QUOTE (Slump @ Jan 2 2008, 08:55 PM)

It makes me feel antiquated that not everyone on this forum immediately recognizes that dialog, let alone completing the rest of the scene in their head...

So will the arcology be patrolled by a fluffy white rabbit? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012