Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scanning for Matrix Fluff
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Gelare
I was considering typing up a little Matrix resource for myself to make hacking more than just throwing dice at each other. Nothing new mechanically, just fluff stuff, like what walking through a server looks like, how a Renraku host differs from an MCT host, what an AresSpace login page might look like, etc. The AR stuff isn't as important - PCs will be less impressed by a pretty user interface than they will by the full virtual reality experience.

I was imagining, like, you go to the AresSpace login page and you're in the seat of a space shuttle, and you input your login info into the terminal in front of you and then it takes off and does whatever other cool stuff. In a Renraku server you're walking around, stabbing stuff with swords. And then there will, of course, be people who customized their own reality filters to cool stuff. Anyway, I was wondering if you all could recommend some SR books for me with examples of Matrix fluff, and if you have any other advice, it's appreciated as always. Thanks everybody.

EDIT: Also, one more question. To find other people in the same node as you, is it automatic or do you have to analyze something or what? Say you're sneaking through the Aztechnology Pyramid server in VR, you botch something up and sirens and klaxons go off, IC in the form of giant monsters come to eat you. While you're busy doing that, a security hacker logs into the node. Do you automatically know he's there? What if he's running a stealth program?
Kyoto Kid
...I've done a lot with sculpting descriptions in the Matrix.

For example, one time, for a corporation in the UK, it appeared like a medieval setting with castles, knights & all that requiring all commands be made in rhyme. Once someone got into the central node however, it changed into a version of London ala Max Headroom (20 minutes into the future).

In a recent campaign I had a matrix which was very Film Noir in it's appearance (really freaked the PC decker out too) complete with old 1930s style trappings like smoky nightclubs, jazz, flashing neon, nifty shadow effects, appropriately "attired" IC constructs, and all in scintillating Black & White. For example, at one point there was a Trace IC on his tail which appeared like the headlights of a car following him when he was "on the road" between datastores, or appeared like this shadowy figure in a wide brimmed hat with a trenchcoat when he was "on foot" in a node.
Gelare
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Actually, that's all very awesome and I'll probably accidentally steal it for my own purposes. I gotta get me some more of that.
Dashifen
It's not all that hard to do, either. Think of what the purpose of a node is and then design toward it. Area or locale doesn't always need to work.

For example, one of my favorite metaphors was that of an overlarge tree. Within it, there were all sorts of animals (squirrels, birds, etc.) all representing different programs and behaviors of the node. Traversing the tree corresponded to finding different areas of the system. And, of course, within it was a protected, hidden portion represented by an old, forgotten tree house.

The hard part is to come up with one on the fly when someone hacks a stuffer shack for no apparent reason.
Karaden
You could set up a generic theme that all stuffer shacks follow.
Cthulhudreams
This just makes me want a reality filter thats a flat tabletop where the hacker throws d4s at the oncoming IC, which are like orcs, but with pies, and encrypted data is in chests with locks, while unencrypted data is in pots, and chests with databombs have traps, and it all takes place in a 10 x 10 room.

Karaden
That sounds vaugly familar... Oh yeah, isn't that what the node at WOTC looks like?
Fortune
Hell, that's what my best friend from twenty-five years ago's bedroom looked like (and probably still does!). biggrin.gif
Method
Lately I've been gravitating toward surrealist imagery for Matrix ideas. You can do a quick google search and find all kinds of thought-provoking pieces to model a Matrix host after.

If you're looking for creepy, weird or alien environments, I particularly like some of the work by Jeffery Scott and Robert Parkeharrison or
any
number of
TOOL
videos.
Kyoto Kid
...works by Salvador Dali and Pablo Picasso are also a wonderful influence.

I also have been thinking of working up a totally Art Deco sculpted system.
Gelare
Well that's all certainly neat stuff, but is there anything in the SR books that I could draw inspiration - or, y'know, examples - from? I remember there was one thing that described the unmodified Renraku (I think) sculpted system, in the context of being used right out of the box by some random company. Surely some of the books have something to say on the topic.
Method
Well I've always imagined that most of the Megas use archetypical iconography that represents the dominant culture of their origins. Ares would have Greco-Roman themed systems, Renraku would use medieval Japan (samurai and whatnot) and Aztechnology would have... well, Aztechs. And so on and so forth...

As far as canon goes I probably got these ideas from reading fluff over the years (since I'm not that creative grinbig.gif) but I don't know any specific references off hand.

One source book that had an extensive section describing Matrix iconography was the original Virtual Realities from SR1. Haven't read that in years tho. Also you might find some cool ideas in Target: Matrix if you can find a copy of that.
Magus
Wasn't it in Brainscan that descriped the Renraku motif with Dodger in exquisite detail?
You know with the peasants planting and pruning the landscape?
Or was that the Shutdown! Renraku Arcology SB?
Kyoto Kid
...I believe that was Brainscan, with the tree & all.
apollo124
And if you want to go waaay back, the Secrets of Power trilogy of novels, Dodger hacks into the Renraku system and it gets some pretty decent description. Or maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
Momijizukamori
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...I believe that was Brainscan, with the tree & all.

Brainscan does have a lot of description (including the peasants in the field) - it's all the UV host, though. Starts on page 112 of the book.
apollo124
Like someone said earlier, just figure out what the people/company involved are involved with and design towards that. Here's an example I thought of while at work, driving a forklift. I have a lot of time to think there.

The Lone Star local office
You approach the large silver 5 pointed star and walk into it. A room rez's into being. It has what looks like institutional gray walls, the wood door behind you, a bulletin board on one wall, and a grizzled-looking desk sergeant who says "Welcome to Lone Star. How can I help you?"

(Sarge is a routing program to send your signal to the appropriate server). Passcodes are represented as badges (for cops, bounty hunters, lawyers, and other persons with official business) or as visitor badges for civilians and those reporting a crime. The bulletin board has a most wanted poster on it, with continuously changing pictures on it of wanted criminals.

I get bored at work.
cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012