Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone Signal Loss
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Exodus
What does a drone do when it has lost the signal from the drone Rigger?

Lets say that the drone rigger is waiting in a vehicle and he sends in his recon drone to investigate a corp? The drone rigger is almost at the threshold of what his drone can communicate at (hypothetically,) and the drone enters a building with wi-fi inhibiting walls and looses communication with the rigger.. What does it do? Does it go back until it can get a connection again?

What would you do as a GM?
Jack Kain
Depends on the programing of the drone but it would be down to two possibilities with out special protocols.

A: The Drone would continue to execute its last order to the best of the dog brain's capability. This could result in the drone bumping into walls and getting no where.
B: The Drone would cease all functions and go into stand by mode. Much like what would happen to a remote control car if it suddenly went out of range of the controller.

It would be quite possible to have a drone programed to try and reestablish a connection when ever it is lost. Such as going back the way it came to restore contact.
Ravor
Personally I would rule that the Drone does whatever the Rigger has programmed it to do, so if the Rigger had ordered the Drone to scout the building it would continue to do so at whatever level it's Pilot would allow.

If the Drone was being ridden by the Rigger then I imagine that it falls back to whatever the default "AI Mode" the drone was last in, which might cause it to do anything from sending a "SOS" and powering down to recalling back to it's "base" to scouting the area anyways.
Spike
As I recall, Drones can have a number of 'scripted' commands in them. Obviously a SMART rigger tells the drone what to do in case of signal loss BEFORE sending it out.

A NOT SO SMART Rigger's drone (and we have lots and lots of not so smart riggers...) would probably just stop once it stopped recieving signals until one of the pre-scripted conditions came into effect...
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Spike)
As I recall, Drones can have a number of 'scripted' commands in them. Obviously a SMART rigger tells the drone what to do in case of signal loss BEFORE sending it out.

A NOT SO SMART Rigger's drone (and we have lots and lots of not so smart riggers...) would probably just stop once it stopped recieving signals until one of the pre-scripted conditions came into effect...

Of course, if I demand that all my riggers create pages of detailed contingency instructions every time they want to use a drone, just in case they loose contact, no one will play one.

I would say, in the case that the drone looses contact the AI takes over. At that time, a test is rolled. It should be the drone's pilot rating, + some stat from the rigger representing his ability to give it clever instructions. Software, maybe? Could be Logic+Software+Pilot, it doesn't matter if we use two or three things, since it's not opposed anyway. This represents the myriad instructions the rigger would've given the drone previously. If the test goes well, the drone AI follows a course of action which the rigger finds desirable. (which may or may not work, but at least it's what the rigger wants it to try) If the test goes poorly, the drone defaults to a less-than-optimal solution. Failure indicates shutdown.
Thoughts?
Exodus
Is this a problem that has ever come up for any of you guys in the course of a session?
Pendaric
I would go for last given order.
If you feel nice do as Moon hawk surggests and give the pilot a chance for pre programed reactions. You know your group and player best, hash out a good solution between you, then use that as your standarded. That way you do not get pages of notes on what the drone standing orders are.
Pendaric
QUOTE (Exodus)
Is this a problem that has ever come up for any of you guys in the course of a session?

Yes, signal jamming mostly though the occasional geek the rigger by spell and ASIST backlash in SR3
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Exodus)

...yes, Violet (#92) had one of her Stormclouds go out of range of her commlink. Fortunately she told it to follow a specific car and then report back when the vehicle reached it's destination. With a Pilot 4 + Command test, it managed to carry out the instructions.
Stahlseele
i'd think with the whole wireless matrix and the hacker/rigger being able to use anything in between himself and the drone as a line of command there's be no more such problems . . otherwise all drones get the Return to base/last starting point/last point of signal received and wait for new orders i'd say . .
Kyoto Kid
...the thing is we were in the barrens so signal strength was an issue.
DireRadiant
p. 214

"In game terms, the
Pilot attribute stands in for
Computer, Cybercombat,
Data Search, and Hacking
skills, as called for. It may
also represent an agent,
IC, or drone’s “Mental
attributes� when called
for (usually Intuition and
Logic, and sometimes
Willpower). A gamemaster
may also make a Pilot +
Response Test as a “common
sense� test whenever
the drone or agent has to
make a decision."
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
p. 214

"In game terms, the
Pilot attribute stands in for
Computer, Cybercombat,
Data Search, and Hacking
skills, as called for. It may
also represent an agent,
IC, or drone’s “Mental
attributes� when called
for (usually Intuition and
Logic, and sometimes
Willpower). A gamemaster
may also make a Pilot +
Response Test as a “common
sense� test whenever
the drone or agent has to
make a decision."

Yeah! There you go.

I still think it might be cool to give the commanding rigger a teamwork test to represent how well he gave it instructions. Logic+Software (or something better than software?), hits add dice on the Drone's test.

Ultimately, the drone has to make a decision, but it seems like if the rigger knows what he's doing and gives it good instructions it should be a little bit better off that the rigger who simply uses the factory defaults.
Spike
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

Of course, if I demand that all my riggers create pages of detailed contingency instructions every time they want to use a drone, just in case they loose contact, no one will play one.

Actually: I would suggest that under normal conditions a single 'created once, used repetively' set of instructions is a much more elegant solution.

Then limit it to a set number of 'if/than' instructions, with the implied complexity being represented by the 'pilot program' or the rigger's skill check one way or another.

I find it odd that the writers put the pre-scripted commands into the book but then failed to follow up with any real mechanics for employing them, leading to questions like this.

Part of the problem is 'what was the drone doing when it lost signal'? Seriously.

'Go forth and find the widget and report back to me' is a pre-scripted command line. Lost signal? Doesn't matter, the drone was autopiloting anyway.

Rigger riding the drone or controlling it actively? Drone has no instructions to follow as it was essentially getting its commands in real time up until the signal was lost.

Despite funcitoning LIKE mental attributes, a Drone does not have an AI, it won't create it's own motivation. We could assume that Drones come pre-programed with 'lost signal commands', like returning to point of last signal recieved instructions, but what Shadowrunner uses anything stock anyway?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Spike)
Rigger riding the drone or controlling it actively? Drone has no instructions to follow as it was essentially getting its commands in real time up until the signal was lost.

Despite funcitoning LIKE mental attributes, a Drone does not have an AI, it won't create it's own motivation. We could assume that Drones come pre-programed with 'lost signal commands', like returning to point of last signal recieved instructions, but what Shadowrunner uses anything stock anyway?

P. 213

"Pilot programs represent a special type of OS—a system
with specialized functions featuring semi-autonomous decision-
making algorithms. Pilot is for devices that must be able
to assess situations, make decisions, adapt, and ultimately func
tion independently of a (meta)human operator for extended
periods. Th e higher the Pilot rating, the “smarter� it is."

I don't find it too difficult to believe the Pilot program has a chance of figuring out what the Jumped In Rigger was attempting to do when contact is lost and proceeding accordingly.

Jumped In rigger was shooting at someone? Keep shooting.

Jumped In Rigger was following someone? Keep following.

Jumped In Rigger was going somewhere? Keep going there.

Obviously as it gets more complex and extended the less likely the Pilot will be handle it. And in the end, unless there's a glitch or critical glitch on the roll, the Drone will simply attempt to get back into signal range.
Stahlseele
semi-autonomous decision-making algorithms

sounds suspiciously like semi autonomous knowbots from the SR3 Matrix O.o
And weren't those rumored to be the most likely source for one or two AI's ?
Riley37
QUOTE (Exodus)

Yes. My PC snuck a Fly-Spy onto the target's vehicle, but didn't give it good commands, so after the target vehicle moves 400 meters, its signal can't reach the PC's comlink, unless the PC keeps moving to Shadow the vehicle. PC lost the target, then sent a host of other Fly-Spies with orders to spread out and search for Fly-Spy #1 (fortunately, programming these ones a bit more carefully.)

I'd say it also depends on the drone. A Fly-Spy and a Stormcloud have the same Pilot rating, but the Fly-Spy's hardware is so miniturized that it may get full Pilot rating only for things within its usual type of mission, and penalties when doing anything non-standard.

Sure, there are lots of devices in the area which *can* act as wireless relays, but there's no reason for them to do so, since their owners probably would not have them on the "rebroadcast any encrypted signals that you may happen to receive regardless of source" setting. Is your comlink on that setting, and if so, were you within 400m of my fly-spy and within your comlink's broadcast radius of my PC? If so, let me know! (West Oakland, October 6th, 2066)

kzt
QUOTE (Riley37)
Yes. My PC snuck a Fly-Spy onto the target's vehicle, but didn't give it good commands, so after the target vehicle moves 400 meters, its signal can't reach the PC's comlink, unless the PC keeps moving to Shadow the vehicle.

How would that work? How could it not find a matrix connection within 400 meters? All devices form mesh networks automatically, you can't stop that, it's part of how they are. If nothing else, the vehicle it is on would have a better transmitter.
Ravor
Of course I've always disagreed with the idea that Matrix 2.0 really is a free-for-all self forming MESH consisted of everyone's devices linking together. (ALso my understanding of the rules is that even acting as a router would require the use of two subscribtion slots.) Unless something was mentioned in Corp Enclaves the one place in Fourth Edition that talks about how the Matrix is actually built still talks about infrastructure in a way that simply doesn't sound like a global MESH network.

However, with that said, in the sprawl itself I do think it would be very rare to be out of wireless service.

Stahlseele
i'd say an educated guess is the coexistance of both . . the physical infrastructure network like hotspots/Access-Points and then the Mesh between them and the mesh between them and their clients and if the clients accept the mesh between the clients directly . . and between clients and infrastructure . . would be the best weay to get a high availability in my eyes O.o
Riley37
QUOTE (kzt)
How could it not find a matrix connection within 400 meters? All devices form mesh networks automatically, you can't stop that, it's part of how they are.

BBB p206 refers to a "wireless mesh network", which is robust in major urban areas, not so much in the open ocean, and not so much underground, so a boat that goes to sea or anyone in a tunnel can leave the network, also possibly anyone in thick hilly forest, depending on where there's devices that auto-repeat. BBB does not distinguish between wireless signals that are designed to be relayed - presumably they have an advanced version of packet header info - and signals that are not coded that way, eg if for some reason you're using an analog-signal walkie-talkie, or a simple beacon.

BBB in a few other places is clear that old-school technology still exists here and there. There are reasons not to drive a 1999 Beetle around 20X6 Seattle but it's still *possible* (until someone responds to the GridGuide complaint and stops you).

BBB in several parts of the subsequent fluff is fairly clear that the practices of ordinary civilians and the practices of shadowrunners tend to diverge, and that there are several ways of opting out of the mesh, such as turning your device's antenna off, or putting it in hidden mode so it receives but does not automatically transmit. There's a bit more on that under "Turning It Off" on p.304.

The driver operating the vehicle in question was definitely the kind of person who would set their vehicle's electronics to not automatically relay signals.

The fly-spy was set to AOD (activate on demand) and burst transmission so that the driver would not notice it if she, or her comlink's agent, or her vehicle's autopilot happened to run a Scan for nearby broadcasters. Finding the fly-spy involves broadcasting the activation signal, reaching the fly-spy with that signal, and hearing its response.
Ravor
Actually I'd even disagree with that, until Unwired comes out at least I think it's a perfectly reasonable reading of the Core Book that the Matrix 2.0 is really just Matrix 1.0 with a few wireless repeaters bolted onto the old Jackpoints.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012