Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seattle sites
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Snow_Fox
My husband and I will be visiting Seattle this spring. Any suggestions for what I can see?
Fortune
Starbucks. wink.gif

You might like to take a day trip down to Oregon and visit Crater Lake.
Snow_Fox
we've got resevations at the hotel accross the street from the marketwhere they throw fish, one hotel's selling point was that they were on the same block as the first Starbucks.
Fortune
Which hotel? I stayed at the Warwick (which was highly over-rated, and in no way worth its then 4-star rating) last time I was in Seattle, which wasn't too far fro those very markets.
Momijizukamori
If you like clam chowder (the New England kind), there's a place called Ivar's which has hands down the best clam chowder I've ever had.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
we've got resevations at the hotel accross the street from the market where they throw fish, one hotel's selling point was that they were on the same block as the first Starbucks.

...I actually tried to figure out what the damage from a 5 kilo Sockeye Salmon would be thrown by one of these guys. I think it was something like (3rd ed terms) Str+1M (S). The +1 was for the weight of the fish.

..of course it could differ depending upon whether the fish was fresh of frozen. Maybe STR +1S when frozen.

...and no, you can't Dikote a Sockeye Salmon, it'd just burn to a crisp from the extreme temperatures used in the process and not be very tasty afterwards. grinbig.gif

...Seriously though. check out the U-Dub and U-District (north of DT), the Arboretum (south & East of the U dub), and the Waterfront with old Streetcars that came from either Melbourne or Sydney Australia. JUst to the north is Gasworks Park, wiith the old refining apparatus still intact (thoug no longer operational). On a nice day (which you may not get in spring) It is a good place to watch the sailboats on Lake Union and kite fliers in the park.

Capitol Hill Just to the east of DT across I-5 is a chic district with shops, pubs, and nightclubs and home the the city's counterculture. It is compared by some to San Francisco's Haight Ashbury district. At the north end is imposing St Marks Cathedral (which is actually unfinished believe it or not) that houses one of the largest mechanical actions organs in the country (a huge 4 keyboard Flentrop built in 1965 the case of which is nearly 60' tall with 32' copper bass pipes in the façade).

South of DT there is the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field on S Marginal Way. They have the first 707 (the one Tex Johnson did a barrel roll with at the Seafair boat races in 1957) and a Concorde on permanent display among other noteworthy aircraft there.

Alas (thankfully) the Kingdome is no more but Safeco Field is a very interesting facility in that it has a retractable roof but is still an "open air" stadium. Yeah the Mariners kind of suck but a game at the Safe is still a pretty cool event.

Of course there is the obvious, The Seattle Centre. Though always stunning, the Space Needle now plays second fiddle to a large black glass tower (Don't remember which bank owns it now as there have be so many mergers), but the 360° view is still most impressive. The aforementioned skyscraper has a crappy observation deck that faces only to the southeast I believe.

[was getting ready to submit this when the power went out in the neighbourhood knocking all the wireless nodes offline.

...OK Violet (#93) time to put that heavy duty laser torch away. You''re grounded for the next month. Now go to your room (thank the Great Mother it's coated with WiFi blocking paint).] grinbig.gif
Snow_Fox
Thanks. My husband wants to see the Experience Music museum-whatever it's called.
Is the Seattle Underground worth a look?
I'm guessing I can look at the air over Pioneer Square and imagine the arcology.

I so cannot just lounge around the pool on a vacation so I'm looking for stuff to do.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
I so cannot just lounge around the pool on a vacation so I'm looking for stuff to do.

Hahahahahahaha.... Ah, I needed that laugh. Just the idea of lounging around pools in Seattle in the Spring...

I'd recommend taking a ferry on a day trip to one of the San Juan Islands. Orca is nice and you can rent bikes if you want to bike around the island. You'd have to have a car, though, to get to the ferry.

The official ferry site is: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

Or if you'll have a car, you can drive north and do a day trip to Victoria, BC - you take a ferry there too, and that's a great trip. About the same driving time to the south is Portland, Oregon.

(And sorry, Crater Lake isn't a day trip from Seattle.)
Fortune
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)
And sorry, Crater Lake isn't a day trip from Seattle.

Funny. It took much less than a day for me to get there from Seattle. I'll admit that I didn't go back the same way though, and was not on any kind of schedule.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Fortune)
Funny. It took much less than a day for me to get there from Seattle. I'll admit that I didn't go back the same way though, and was not on any kind of schedule.

At 422 miles, one way, from Seattle, that's one heck of a day trip! (about 7 hrs each way, 14 hrs of driving round trip, and that's assuming you stick to I-5 the whole way) So, yes, I guess it is a day trip, if you really like your car. wink.gif

Or perhaps you drive without small children in the backseat who start playing the "I'm not touching you" game about 15 minutes into any trip... sarcastic.gif
Fortune
Yeah well, like I said, it wasn't like a trip down and back in one day (as I didn't go back that way). But I had no problems getting there and seeing stuff, and continuing the trip south toward Mt. Shasta all in one day.

Maybe I just drive a tad over the speed limit or something. biggrin.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Thanks. My husband wants to see the Experience Music museum-whatever it's called.
Is the Seattle Underground worth a look?
I'm guessing I can look at the air over Pioneer Square and imagine the arcology.

It's called the Experience Music Project, or EMP for short. It's worth visiting, but it's kinda pricey to get into.

The Seattle Underground is worth it if you're a history buff. Or if you're a die-hard Shadowrun nerd, (cool.gif)who wants to see the inspiration for the ork underground.

Pike Place Market, where you're rooming next to, is also an amazing place to wander around in. There's a lot more than flying fish biggrin.gif. I've got friends who sell ocarinas there. In particular, the Magic Shop on the second level is well worth seeing.

If you want to go to Victoria BC, it's worth taking the Clipper, the hydrofoil.

And if you're going to the Arboretum, then also take the time to visit the Japanese gardens there. They even have occasional tea ceremonies, which I've never managed to see.
Kyoto Kid
...I was also thinking of suggesting a ferry trip to the islands but not sure how much time y'all had.

Forgot about the EMP, embarrassed.gif though I tend to be more into the real oldies (like a century or three old).

Tiger Eyes is correct, Crater Lake is quite an out of the way trip. I'd suggest maybe a day trip to Portland (about 160 mi - 3.5 hrs) but beware, a lot of the city's centre is a DMZ right now because of various construction projects, most noteworthy of which is the Mall Max (light rail) project. Also there are a lot (and I mean a lot) of One Way streets in the city centre. I'd suggest either parking after you get here or taking one of the Cascade trains and use local transit. There is a surface streetcar line (the first new streetcar line built in the US in some 70 years) that runs through the heart of the city from the University to NW 23rd.

However if you like books (& who on this forum doesn't) a sojurn to Powell's City Of Books on 10th & West Burnside in Portland is still worth it. The largest bookstore on the west coast (in the country perhaps? takes up an entire city block 4 floors worth) The best thing, it is independently owned and operated. Northwest 23rd in Portland is also an area of trendy shops, bistros, and restaruants. There is also OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) on the near SE side to DT, and the famous Rose Gardens up on the West Hills (near SW to DT).

Cain
I haven't been to OMSI in over a decade, but if you like that sort of thing, the Pacific Science Center at Seattle Center is worth the trip. The exhibits are a bit dated now, but I used to work there in the 80's, so I have a sentimental fondness for the place.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
Crater Lake is quite an out of the way trip.

Then don't go. It was merely a suggestion.

In my opinion, when someone travels across the country (or even around the world as I did) then 400 miles is not really all that big of a deal. I guess it depends on your priorities, and when I last visited the Seattle area, Crater Lake was higher on my list than the Space Needle.
Snow_Fox
EMP is the one thing my husband said he wants to do, so we're doing it. He's been to Seattle once, so this is more of a shared thing, like we had both been to Salem Mass before we met but went back on our honey moon.. He has said to avoid the Salmon ladders at all costs.

I'm a serious history geek so I like the idea of the underground. Yeah, i know the market is not just flying fish but we've both worked for companys that made us see that dumb corp attitude training film but it sounds like Philly's Reading market-which is mainly food, but has all sorts of stuff too. "Magic shop?"

I also want to try the food. My husband likes Salmon so I know he'll be happy. I love oysters and get Atlantic ones fairly easily at a near by market-how many of you own a real oyster knife? but I want to see if there really is a difference in West Coast ones.

Any word of Pioneer square or the Aquarium? my boss, who is a big guy was out there for a convention a few months back and he said the neighborhood around the needle made him feed glad he was there in day light. I thought they were cleaning that up.
adamu
I just want to chime in my agreement with Cain that the Seattle Underground is a good thing.
Again, though, you gotta like history - the guides are mostly professional actors and the like trying to make a buck, and they know jazillions of really cool historical anecdotes regarding the underground and other 19th century Seattle lore.
But in terms of visuals, it is really unremarkable.

The area around the needle isn't really dangerous, but there are lots of seedy types floating around, as it is slightly removed from the more upscale downtown core. Same situation on the waterfront. But both are still heavily patrolled, with enough "citizen" traffic it is not a big deal.

The aquarium is nice enough, if not grandiose. They do a good job with the larger marine mammals like seals and so forth. They also have an actual salmon ladder that salmon climb to spawn, but my biology being non-existent, I have no idea what time of year that happens.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (adamu @ Jan 13 2008, 10:23 PM)
The aquarium is nice enough, if not grandiose.  They do a good job with the larger marine mammals like seals and so forth. They also have an actual salmon ladder that salmon climb to spawn, but my biology being non-existent, I have no idea what time of year that happens.

...unfortunately Pacific salmon spawning is in autumn, but it is pretty cool to watch them jump the ladders.
Cain
I'm a serious history geek so I like the idea of the underground. Yeah, i know the market is not just flying fish but we've both worked for companys that made us see that dumb corp attitude training film but it sounds like Philly's Reading market-which is mainly food, but has all sorts of stuff too. "Magic shop?"

The Pike Place Magic shop has been one of my favorite attractions for a very long time. They sell mostly magic tricks, with a lot of books thrown in for good measure and some occult items. The owners are professional magicians. In Shadowrun time, you can easily picture the place as the first talismonger shop.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 12 2008, 11:16 PM)

Hahahahahahaha.... Ah, I needed that laugh. Just the idea of lounging around pools in Seattle in the Spring...

You may just have encouraged her to take a swim suit. She can be, contrary.
Roadspike
I rather enjoy the Aquarium/IMAX theater down on the waterfront, but it's not spectacular. The EMP and Sci-Fi museum (admission covers both museums) are fun to go to once. Pike's Place can be fun to wander... definitely go to the Spice Shop (I forget what it's actually called) right next to the flying fish place, it's phenominal. Seattle Center and the Pacific Science Center aren't bad. There's also an interesting sculpture park between the Seattle Center and Pike's Place, although I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. Pioneer Square is a little meh. There are some nice little places around, but they're mostly overshadowed by bars and nightclubs, and the area definitely isn't the nicest late at night. As several other posters have mentioned, the Seattle Underground is fun to visit every decade or so.

If you have time for day trips, I'd suggest Wouth Whidbey Island (what can I say, I grew up there...) or just driving somewhat at random through the Snohomish Valley--there's some nice farm country up there, and some great mountain views.

If you do decide to go to Portland, OMSI is pretty cool, and Powell's is fantastic. I went to The Strand in New York City (supposed to be the longest shelf distance of any bookstore in the US, or some bogus statistic like that) and it absolutely paled in comparison to Powell's.
Kyoto Kid
...also here is a cool site in the Fremont District

Fremont Bridge Troll

He resides under the north end of the Aurora Bridge on N. 36th Street at Troll Avenue N. In my Seattle setting, the statue is still there and there is a neighbourhood gang (of trolls, natch) by the same name.
Eldritch
It's been years since I visited, but I went to the Space needle twice, once during the day, and once at night. Very cool both times. I'm not sure about the restaurant, I didn't have the finances to dine there.

I did like the Zoo, and the Aquarium, IIRC, the zoo had some beluga whales at the time.

Cain
The Space needle restaurant has (reportedly) gotten better over the years. The last time I ate there, it was nothing spectacular, but that was over ten years ago.

Pike's Place can be fun to wander... definitely go to the Spice Shop (I forget what it's actually called)...

Marketspice. They make some of the best tea in the world.
Roadspike
QUOTE (Eldritch)
I did like the Zoo, and the Aquarium, IIRC, the zoo had some beluga whales at the time.

I believe that that would be the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium down in Tacoma. The Zoo in Seattle is the Woodland Park Zoo. Both are quite nice, but the Woodland Park Zoo definitely doesn't have belugas.

Also, I've never eaten at the Space Needle Restaurant, but I've heard the portions are tiny, not particularly appetizing, and exceptionally expensive.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Cain)
Pike's Place can be fun to wander... definitely go to the Spice Shop (I forget what it's actually called)...

Marketspice. They make some of the best tea in the world.

...yes, the tea is simply wonderful although for some reason a bit tricky to find here in Portland only 160 mi away. Used to go there a lot when I lived in Seattle many moons ago...when you could still see the Smith Tower & the Needle was the tallest structure in the city.

[edit]

...think I got the tags fixed right.
Fortune
QUOTE (Roadspike @ Jan 17 2008, 02:49 AM)
I've never eaten at the Space Needle Restaurant, but I've heard the portions are tiny, not particularly appetizing, and exceptionally expensive.

All certainly true when I was there. I have heard that it has improved in the past couple of years though, but have no proof of that.
Snow_Fox
It would be nice to know. when I was in college I twice did "Top of the Hub" the big sky restaurant in Boston and felt it was over priced and the few was too damn cloudy. During the day the observation deck was cute but by night it was like a cloaking device- occassionally pulled back as clouds cleared, then shut down again.Maybe cocktails and lunch?
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Maybe cocktails and lunch?

I've heard the way to do it is to just have dessert there. You get the view and the experience, and it's hard to mess up dessert.

But, then again, I consider eating dessert a high priority, so maybe that's just me... biggrin.gif
Roadspike
I've also heard that dessert isn't too bad up at what will become the Eye of the Needle come Shadowrun times. Again, not first hand experience, but it might be worth the trouble. You could also go up, order an appetizer and drinks, and look around. If the portions on other people's plates are tiny, go straight from appetizer to dessert. Otherwise, order dinner.

Think of it as legwork.
Snow_Fox
Actually I was thinking of this as leg work, you know, chatting to people who've got experience and know the area before I go in.
Roadspike
Well yes, but as any Shadowrunner will tell you (or any forum poster will tell you to prevent looking like a fool), you have to do legwork on your legwork, to make sure that your contacts aren't being fed false information.
Stahlseele
for example i COULD be an evil germanazi guy . . you don't know . .
maybe i'm an patriotic american? O.o
Method
Definitely check out Pike's Place- like Cain said there are tons of weird little shops in the catacombs below the fish store. Its also right up the street from the waterfront and the Aquarium.

If you go to the University District they have lots of cool little shops, and there is the Burke Museum of Natural History located at the north end of the U campus.

The Freemont troll is cool to see, but only takes a minute or two. Not much to it really. But there are lots of cool bars and restaurants in Freemont, just up the street from the troll. I personally like Brauer's which is a cool modern industrial / Belgium brewery place. They have more imported beer on tap than you can imagine (print new beer lists daily).

For seafood, Ivar's has great fish and chips and clam chowder, but they also has a very nice upscale restaurant decorated like a traditional Salish indian lodge. It is recognized as a historical building because it is so full of character.
Method
Also- I too have heard the Space Needle restaurant is a little hit or miss. For your money there are A LOT better places to eat in the city.

I must be hungry with all this talk of food.... lick.gif

I always check out aikido dojos when I travel to a new city. Do you guys have any particular interests?
Daddy's Little Ninja
SF's husband tells horror stories about how boring the salmon ladders were when he went years ago.
Adarael
I guess it depends on how interested you are in salmon jumping. Personally, I'm betting I'd be bored out of my skull. But if it turns your crank...
Snow_Fox
It's the in joke with my in laws. My father in law was all excited and dragged them off to see them. typical 'dad' move and even he now admits it was boring as sin.
Cain
Well, the salmon ladders are at the Ballard Locks, which is good if you're really, really into local history. Otherwise, you get to spend a lot of time watching boats go up and down twenty feet. Oh, and they brag that they have the best fish n' chips there. I'm dubious of that claim, but YMMV.
Snow_Fox
Ymmv?
Fortune
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Ymmv?

Your mileage may vary. wink.gif
Snow_Fox
This is really helping guys, thanks.
I was checking my original Seattle SB and that says there are two restaurants and 2 bars at the space needle. "Eye of the Needle" is just one of those. I think that would be a bit much BUT does anyone know if there's a seperate bar there?
I've also realized we'll be there when it's my husband's birthday. I can asusme there are good places to celebrate? Soemoen siad there are clubs in pioneer square, any good?
the_dunner
As another SR geek who made the pilgrimage to Seattle (probably 4 years ago, now) --

Definitely hit the Underground tour. The guides were entertaining, in a campy sort of way, and the history and the visuals were well worth the time and cost.

Skip the meal at the Space Needle. It was a neat view, but the food was crap, and over priced.

This sounds blasphemous, but consider skipping the Sci-Fi museum. If you're a serious sci-fi buff, there's VERY little there that you aren't already familiar with. The museum was very small and way too mainstream. A trip to Planet Hollywood would expose you to about the same number of movie props.

The restaurants and shops around the Frontier district were very nice.

Pike's Place market was OK, but hardly up to the hype. If you're from Boston, then the Faneuil Hall market was pretty comparable.

The zoo and the aquarium were both worth the time and the trip.

If you can, take some time to hit some of the park areas. To me, that was one of the most striking things about Seattle. Hiking through the parks was absolutely fantastic. It also gives you a first hand feel for the type of rainforest that your SR characters are subjected to regularly.

Definitely spend some time walking along the docks/piers. The view of the sound was beautiful. While there were quite a few tourist traps along there, it was a great place to walk and see the water.

I remember looking in to taking a trip to Tillicum Village, but it didn't fit with our schedule. You might want to investigate that.

Also, depending upon when you're going, it might be during a Whale migration. You might want to consider a whale watching trip.
Cain
I've also realized we'll be there when it's my husband's birthday. I can asusme there are good places to celebrate? Soemoen siad there are clubs in pioneer square, any good?

Oh, dear gods, you have no idea what you're asking....

There's something like two dozen plus clubs in the Pioneer Square area, all of which have a different theme and target audience. I'm presuming that you want to avoid the frat boy/sorority girl clubs, but you've still got a large number to go through.

My suggestion is the joint-cover Pub Crawl. Go to Doc Maynards, where the Seattle Underground tour starts. You can buy a ticket good for about ten different clubs in the area. Have a few drinks and start wandering. You'll get to see a lot of Pioneer Square, hear a lot of good live music, and get really, really drunk if that's your thing.
Fortune
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Feb 4 2008, 06:27 AM) *
The restaurants and shops around the Frontier district were very nice.

I definitely found this to be true. But really, there are good restaurants almost everywhere you go in the world. I have never planned a trip around food.
Method
There is a kind of touristy curiosity shop on Pier 54 near Pike's Place and the Aquarium. It has all kinds of random and cool stuff, including a famous mummy.

Ye Old Curiosity Shop

Shrike30
If you head up the hill from downtown to Capitol Hill, try and avoid wandering too far and dropping off the east side into the Central District. Not the best neighborhood in the world.

The University District is amusing. The University Village is right nearby, and is basically a mall. Pass on it.

Gas Works Park has one of the better views of the city. It's on the North side of Lake Union. The bigass hill in the park even has a sundial on top (because someone thought it'd be a good idea to try and tell time by the sun here... who knows why?).

The Center for Wooden Boats is on the South end of Lake Union, alongside of Northwest Seaport (which is located in the Armory building, adjacent to the waterfront). They both get into a lot of the maritime history of Seattle (which is pretty key to Seattle history in general), and have a lot of older, really interesting boats to check out. If you're interested, I think Northwest Seaport does tours of their working boats, including a heavy duty diesel tug, a fire ship, and a lightship.

The Ballard Locks are interesting if you like watching water flow and (sometimes) boats move up and down in a lock. Not a bad place for a picnic or something, but not really a draw.

One more vote for the Underground Tour, here. If either of you are allergic to dust or mold, there is a lot of it down there.

The Museum of Flight is definitely worth a look.

Cruising up and down the waterfront on foot is a good way to see some nifty things like the Aquarium, and you'll be right there if you're staying near the Pike Place Market. Not hard to take a stroll along it, spot something you want to see, and go home if you get bored.

Take a trip into Fremont if you get a chance, if for no other reason than to check out the neighborhood. It's pretty interesting.

If y'all want to meet some of the local Runner crowd, let us know. We're friendly here smile.gif
Snow_Fox
we're big on picnics but i'm not sure if it's the right atmophre. we've seen canals on the east coast but it can be interesting to compare. I wouldn't do the sci fi museum but someone here said it's part of the osund experience museum and my husband wants to do that so...
When is the rainy season?
Fortune
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 4 2008, 10:42 AM) *

Um, it's Seattle! The question should be 'When does it rain the least?'. wink.gif biggrin.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 3 2008, 03:42 PM) *

Jan 1st-Dec 31st.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012