Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Steps to Organ Farms?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ludomastro
Some scientists stripped all the cells out of a rat heart and then put new ones in and got it to start working again. You can read the full article here.

Made me think about organ farms.
Synner667
Larry Niven explores this topic [organlegging] in his Known Space set of stories, which I heartily recommend for several reasons.

Rather than farms, organ donation is much more compulsory and/or many more crimes become punishable by death, and the authorities just take the organs from criminals.

Just my thruppence..

apollo124
This story actually made me think of "Type O" organs and "grown to order" organs. Hope they can make this work for humans. Lots of people who need transplants could maybe just get one made and not have to wait for someone to die with the right blood type, and maybe not have to take anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their lives. Who knows, maybe we're on the verge of something really great here. One hopes. B.T.W. I had an aunt who died (of cancer) before she could get a new kidney (not that Medicaid would have paid for one)
ludomastro
@ apollo124

I lost my dad to cancer so I completely understand how awesome this could be.
Zhan Shi
Speaking of organ farms......
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Synner667)
Rather than farms, organ donation is much more compulsory and/or many more crimes become punishable by death, and the authorities just take the organs from criminals.

Just my thruppence..

*koff*China*koff*

Look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012