Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New shadowrun GM looking for advice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lyonheart
Hi all, I'm new to Shadowrun, but after a few games I am hooked. I'm looking to try and spread the love to another gaming group that has never played. So I will be the GM, any advice tips ect. to a new shadowrun GM.

The plot I'm working is titled "A Fist Full of Newyen" on is a blatant ripoff of the Clint Eastwood movie with the similar name, set on a small Caribbean Island, with two groups of Cyberpirates/Smugglers as the opposing gangs. I'm going for a Miami Vice meets Ghost in the Shell: SAC feel. Ideas, Thoughts?
bjorn
I'm sorry for asking this, but is there something specific your are looking for or need help on or are you just asking what people think of the plot?
Method
Welcome to the fold, Lyonheart. ork.gif

The setting you are envisioning is pretty cool, but you're drawing on some very diverse influences, which could cause you some difficulty (i.e.- it might be hard to work in the thematic elements of high seas cyberpiracy without diverging from GitS or vice versa). Of coarse if you are experienced in GMing other game systems you might do just fine.

Also if you are trying to sell people on SR you might consider a more mainstream setting and tone- the influences you are drawing on make for a very cool specialized campaign but most people are drawn to the more stock SR settings and themes and then discover niche locales (like the Caribbean) as they begin to explore the 6th world.

But if you're set on the campaign you've described please feel more than free to disregard my input and go for it!! biggrin.gif
Glyph
The biggest trouble will be that the players won't know that they are supposed to play both sides off against each other, and ultimately take both of them down, and are likelier to pick one side or another, or indescriminately battle both sides whenever a hapless evil minion gets in shooting range.

I guess you could steer them in the right direction by having someone hire them to play the two groups off of each other and weaken them. Then that third party could move in to finish both groups off. For a distopian twist, the party could be doing it because of an appeal on behalf of the oppressed villagers, only to find they have been catspaws of an organization that is just as bad as the other two. Or it could be a (slightly) more benevolent group, and a successful run could give them both an improved rep and some useful contacts.
Fuchs
My current campaign is set in Miami and the Caribbean. I'd take care to set the tone of the setting as you want it to, from armor use to the weather, the naval parts as well as local customs (Voodoo, cyberpirates' flair, latin-american influences, etc.).

With the almost paradise "first looks" of the setting, it's a contrast to the usual Seattle "fog, rain and dark streets", but the same dystopia can be found underneath it, if you want it to.
knasser

Sounds like you know what you're doing. If you want some more crunchy advice, I have a couple of files on my site (link in sig) that have been useful to new GMs, mainly the introductory adventure Cold Blood which explains some of the mechanics and the Example Matrix sites. What Would Samurai Do and the FAQ might also be useful to players trying to get a feel of what is and isn't possible in comparison to other game systems they might have played.

Oh, and welcome to Dumpshock, glad to have you. biggrin.gif
Nostalgic Jester
A poorly dressed (err... clown?) shows up, makes so sad a reverence that he seems rather bent by carrying too much sorrow on his shoulders than saluting... and then, in a low and somehow opaque tone, says:

"Cheers, Lyonhearted one. Welcome to the forums..."
Moon-Hawk
I think it sounds cool. Welcome to Dumpshock. We really can be helpful, but you're going to have to ask a more specific question.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012