Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Vengeance of the Heavens
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ezeckial
Okay, so, meeting with people you don't know is always good times. I don't think Nakir has enough of a physical link to divine anything so we fall back on good old knowledge skills. Hopefully some if not all of these apply. I want to make sure my character knows that the Yakuza wouldn't hire out of house to avenge that sob's death for one. Munkir has one man armied into Yak territory before, it didn't go to well........

Knowledge Rolls:

Local Area Knowledge 3 + Intuition 3
[3,1,1,6,5,4] = (2)

Organized Crime 4 + Yakuza Specialization 2 + Int/Log 3
[3,5,1,2,3,2,6,1,3] = (2)

Underworld Politics 4 + Int/Log 3
[5,4,5,2,4,6,3] = (3)

[ Spoiler ]
ZenZen
@BishopMcQ
QUOTE (BishopMcQ)
The blood feeding and anger are ingrained into her psyche from youth-[...]Now it's part of her magic and personal addictions.

You're not going to summon Bloodzilla, are you? *prepares to call Bloodgamera for help*
Ah, right, you're a PhysAd, you can't summon... phew...
...then that only leaves Cannibalize and Power Bleed eek.gif

@Karaden
QUOTE (Karaden)
And yeah, it is a kind of inbetween, but usually if it is a native japanese word (Hirigana) it is more of an l sound and if it is from another language (katakana) it is more of an r sound. At least that is how it usually seems and makes my life easier.

Interesting. I'll try to pay attention to it - would make my life easier too if that's the secret.

QUOTE (Karaden)
Didn't know that you could do that and have it post properly on forums and such, very cool.

notworthy.gif Praise the Unicode! notworthy.gif

@Ezeckial
QUOTE (Ezeckial)
And have the suggestion power helping them out devil.gif

Aah... so that's what it was (it's called Influence though) - nasty. I like. ork.gif

QUOTE (Ezeckial)
There's some fun things you can do with spirit powers.....

Oh yes, absolutely. Certain Spirit Powers and Illusion/Manipulation Spells practically lend themselves to creative abuse. vegm.gif

QUOTE (Dirtz)
Munkir and Nakir are angels of death, in the Islam tradition they question a persons spirit and determine if their wait for rebirth is enjoyable or horrific.

Interesting. But it immediately provokes the question of what kind of mudang he is, exactly?
Being male and having a Mentor Spirit already makes him a pretty rare breed of mudang, according to Street Magic. But which self-respecting korean shaman would shape his massive (judging by Force and Karma investment, he must've put a lot of work and effort in him, including a life-threatening binding ritual) Ally Spirit and own shadow identity according to islamic lore?

@Sponge
QUOTE (Sponge)
Judging by the other posts it looks like this play-by-post style will be more of a creative writing exercise than I had expected

We'll have to see about that.
From my experience, most PbP-games start that way because everyone wants to give their char a cool/mysterious/fun/special introduction before the game really starts, at which point the GM and the other players necessarily restrict the characters freedom (at least if he wants to play with them, not just next to them) and he can't just regularly pull off The Awesome™, because it would disrupt the game (apart from the minor problem that his survival rate of pulling 'It' off significantly drops when a GM and a bunch of dice have to be consulted as well). Accordingly ingame time will slow down after the introduction phase and most posts will then be shorter and more goal-oriented (be that a conversation or declaring combat actions), with the 'creative writing' parts becoming rarer.
I've only seen very few games where the 'epic' style of writing lasted long.

@Fenris
QUOTE (Fenris)
Eze - You are correct in your assumptions of irony. Got called that so many times when he was being trained by the Yaks that it stuck wink.gif

Glad to hear that - although I'm not Ezeckial... wink.gif
And thanks for the naming info - must've been some heavy bastardizing, my dictionaries can't come up with anything familiar sounding for 'wisdom'.
I originally guessed 'Rikutakau' had something to do with '戮' ("riku") =kill/murder, given the nature of our campaign (and the impression from your spirit)... embarrassed.gif
Ezeckial
Him being a rare breed of Mundang begins from his awakening. A near death experience at the hands of the Yakuza. This also left him with no friends, family, or job. Only the intervention of his mentor spirit saved his life. Most Mundang are female, and most appease tensions, he eradicates. A vital and yet unorthodox piece of the puzzle. (Most mundangs are magicians, he's a mystic adept, he walks a slightly different path).

His mentor spirit is the Dark Goddess, a spirit who thrives on conflict, but is also deeply involved in Rebirth through destruction. She would probably be about the darkest thing you could call a Cheonsa (good spirit). But she does hate ak-ma (bad spirit) so she's tolerated. Not very conventional though, thus picking Munkir.

I also liked the description of Mundangs using technology and working it into their rituals etc. Works quite well for my character and his background of being a bodyguard/enforcer who would have had ware prior to his awakening.

His naming is more of a player thing, I tend to name characters after angels (fallen or not), unless the character is a mundane techy type. I was doing a search, and saw the names as being the angels of judgment, and I thought that would fit nicely. A little more research told me more (the fact that it was islamic etc.). However, who's going to expect the Korean guy of being the guy with the Islamic name? wink.gif However, Munkir does have a World Religions Knowsoft and an Arabic Linguasoft.

So if I (as a player) had more knowledge of Korean Folklore and could have come up with a better naming convention I probably would have done so.

You could literally say Munkir is a man possessed, he feels like his life was spared for one reason, and he'd go through anything to accomplish that goal. In his background that ally binding was really rough on him, but now it's almost like Nakir is his brother.

Hmmm, I think that's probably enough blabbing about Munkir for now.
Dirtz
@Buddha

If Marleen takes the call I want to check out the meet sight (local knowledge stuff)and see if the video gives us any clues on the woman's identity(LS database, interpol etc). I'll warn her to stay frosty and watch her hoop, don't take any unnecessary risks.
Buddha72
Ok anyone else want to throw down dice rolls for info about the meet location> Throw them up and I will be posting probably on Monday with the info gathered.

Dirtz I'll be throwing all the info up in one post but I did see your questions. Feel free to backdate the italian job, fine with me. I am always for knowledge skills so if you have one relevant feel free to post the rolls. I don't normally do time stamps on the smaller posts but I will throw out a larger bumping forward post that will indicate a time in it to give a time reference or frame. For example I will be jumping to the meet post next and that will be time stamped. I don't need much need way in posting format, I will always ask for clarification if I'm confused but if the group stays this large I will consider something more formalized. As for being a noob, questions are always welcomed. biggrin.gif

Sponge I replied to your PM and I just need the info on the person/contact your character would use for getting intel on jobs etc. Either PM or post here and I will throw up an IC post for your character.

Just a quick reminder I need a final version of your character emailed to me at Wayfarer72@gmail.com by Monday morning. That means not PMed or emailed in chunks please. I like to keep complete copies on my desktop and laptop computers so I can post when I get the time without having to scrabble to assemble someone's character sheet. Include history as well with the final version and include a line in the email saying final so I know which one is the finished product. Sorry if it seems I'm harping on this but my last game I had a player (who was a good friend) who never really got me a complete sheet for their character and it was vexing to say the least. Thanks all!
Ezeckial
Ack, I guess I need to append his Character background to the sheet when I get home and condense it all.

Will do though don't worry.
Dirtz
Final character sheet sent to email, just text format so its a little uggly. If you use MS notebook I have a cleaned up version if you want it.

Local area knowledge 2 + Int 3 = 5dp
Criminal organizations (yakuza) 4 + Int 3 = 7dp

Castle is down, go ahead and roll some dice for me.
Ezeckial
New IC post up detailing the prep Munkir, Nakir, and "she" are doing the night before.

Nakir is going to consult the Cheonsa Oracles for information pertaining to the meet the next day. Specifically he wants to know if it's a set-up or ambush by the Yakuza. He's using Munkir as his link, so any information he gets would be to Munkir's future.

The rest is just IC for the knowledge rolls I made earlier.

Divination Spirit Power (different roll then if it was divination metamagic)

Intuition 5 + Magic 5
[1,4,5,6,4,1,3,2,2,5] = (3)

[ Spoiler ]

3 hits should give "specific" information according to the divination chart in SM.

Haven't quite finished cleaning up Munkir's character background, will make sure it's done by monday.
BishopMcQ
Defaulting to Cha - 1 + Loyalty

[2-1+3]
06 03 02 02 - 1hit
Dirtz
Anyone have an idea why I can't access invisiblecastle website? I updated to IE 7 and turned off all my security software and still it comes up page unavailable. I used to be able to access it, saved it as a favorite, but no matter what link I try to use it just won't display.

Any ideas?
Ezeckial
Home computer or Work Computer?

Tried using firefox instead of IE?

Deleted your Cookies?

That's what I'd try for connectivity issues with a website if it's only one website.
Dirtz
Home computer, deleted the cookies, haven't tried FF - using ie 7. I have no problem connecting with all my other bookmarked sites...all security systems disabled.

Having same problem with firefox.

BUT I can access the site via my phone, go figure. grinbig.gif
Karaden
On a more game related, can we use the new stuff from arsenal? I know you said we had a bit to tweek our characters, and some of the stuff in there is really nice.
Sponge
QUOTE (Karaden)
On a more game related, can we use the new stuff from arsenal?  I know you said we had a bit to tweek our characters, and some of the stuff in there is really nice.

And those of us waiting for hard copies to hit the local stores would have to do without? nyahnyah.gif Maybe the expanded martial arts rules would be useful for Spider... smile.gif

BishopMcQ
Martial Arts
[ Spoiler ]

A few custom gear modifications are much more likely, on my part, if allowed.
Dirtz
I really like the book, they did a super job. I'm happy with what I got but if we intend to use any of the new systems (martial arts, demolitions etc) I'd probably retool and refit a little bit.
Karaden
QUOTE (Sponge)
QUOTE (Karaden)
On a more game related, can we use the new stuff from arsenal?  I know you said we had a bit to tweek our characters, and some of the stuff in there is really nice.

And those of us waiting for hard copies to hit the local stores would have to do without? nyahnyah.gif Maybe the expanded martial arts rules would be useful for Spider... smile.gif

That's what you get for going dead tree.
Ezeckial
I just got arsenal, looks like it's going to be a long day....
Buddha72
I'm fine with using the new materials in Arsenal, I will extend the deadline to Tuesday morning to give people time to rework if they want. Will be throwing up IC posts tomorrow and thanks for the info Sponge. Now I need to get reading the book. eek.gif
Ezeckial
I've been waiting for 2 weapon fighting rules for melee combat for a while, so it looks like I'm going to be taking Martial Arts 1 - Sangrey Acero, with two weapon style and offhand training.

So many new toys and fun stuff as well. Milspec armor such.

wobble.gif
Buddha72
FYI all, I will be posting tomorrow. I just found out we have a social worker visit on Wednesday and I'll be running around today getting ready for that. If I have some free time tonight I will try to post but worst case I can post tomorrow afternoon in a block of dead time I have. Sorry all and hope you had a good weekend.

Don't forget to record your weekly drip of 1 karma point on your sheets. nyahnyah.gif
Fenris
Just an FYI, Buddha's laid up with a 100.4 fever, so he'll be off the boards for the next couple of days.
Sponge
QUOTE (Fenris)
Just an FYI, Buddha's laid up with a 100.4 fever, so he'll be off the boards for the next couple of days.

Ugh, being sick is the pits. Get well soon!

In the meantime, for entertainment, here's my character (I ended up picking up the Arsenal PDF anyways so there's a few items from there on the sheet):

[ Spoiler ]

Ezeckial
@Buddha: Hope you feel better soon, that sounds like a nasty cold.

@Sponge: Cool character!
Redjack
@Buddha: How are things? Hope you're feeling better...
Buddha72
Happy Monday all! Sorry for the dropped week but whatever this bug is/was sucks. Fever (102+), coughs, aches the works and now out of the 4 people in the house the other 3 have it so I'm playing nurse today but I have to work tomorrow and it's going to be dreadfully slow so I'll be posting then. I'll also throw up the list of final character sheets I have received as well.

Don't forget your weekly drip of karma.
Ezeckial
I'm glad to hear your feeling better Buddha, that fever sounded scary to say the least. Hopefully it doesn't jump back to you after it's done with everyone else dead.gif

Will be looking forward to your post tomorrow.
Buddha72
Ok I have the following final copies of characters in my gmail inbox:

Krossfire
Rayne
Bakatare
Munkir
Spider

I still need final copies of character sheets sent to my gmail account at Wayfarer72@gmail.com from the following:

Godzilla
Hads
Haze

I have heard from Gerth who was going to play Vance has had to drop out due to real life issues so I am puling up one of them back up players - Dvalinn Runar played by Cthulhudreams - dwarf Jungian humanist mage. Welcome to the game and please send me a final copy of your character sheet to the email addy above please, include Final in the heading for easy sorting.

Let's get a roll call going to make sure everyone is back and paying attention to the thread again, so sound off so I know you're still here. I want to get this thread up and going again now that I am on the mend. Thanks!
Sponge
QUOTE (Buddha72 @ Feb 5 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Let's get a roll call going to make sure everyone is back and paying attention to the thread again, so sound off so I know you're still here. I want to get this thread up and going again now that I am on the mend. Thanks!

Ready here smile.gif

Redjack
Here.
Resent my character. Let me know if you don't get it.
Ezeckial
Ready!
Buddha72
Redjack - no sign of the character sheet yet.
Cthulhudreams
just saw the message that I'm off the bench. Yay!

Let me have 24 hours to get my stuff together and I'll be with you.

(I'm on my lunch break atm so i'll do it when I get home)
Redjack
@Buddha - Sent from Thunderbird & webmail
My account is gmail account as well... Not sure why you didn't get it...?
Dirtz
Present and accounted for, can't wait to see the next post - glad to hear you're feeling well.
Buddha72
Still no character sheet Redjack try sending it to buddhaboy72@hotmail.com and see if that works. I've heard from:

Redjack
Dirtz
Cthulhudreams
Fenris
BishopMcQ
Ezeckial
Sponge

I'll be sending Whipstitch and Karaden a PM to see if he/she is still playing or not. Thanks for hanging in there all, it's always a bit of wrestling to get a thread up and going again.

PS. PMs sent.
Buddha72
All praise the creator!!!

I got the character Redjack. biggrin.gif
Redjack
Hallelujah!
Whipstitch
I can send in a revised sheet by tomorrow evening though for sure; I've been busy lately and tinkering around a lot with Arsenal, plus I didn't even think my character made it in as a bench player. The nice thing is with the drug prices from Arsenal I can actually finally write a nice cache of Psyche and Long Haul into the list.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Feb 5 2008, 09:22 PM) *
just saw the message that I'm off the bench. Yay!

Let me have 24 hours to get my stuff together and I'll be with you.

(I'm on my lunch break atm so i'll do it when I get home)

Okay, so I was a bit optimistic about 24 hours, but I'm bashing this into a spreadsheet as we speak so it should be soon
Whipstitch
Heh. If/when I get to come in and play I'm going to be totally envious of your Tradition, which is pretty silly considering the circumstances. wink.gif

Really though, splitting the difference between Celtic & Wild Druid philosophy just fit the character background I was going for too well to consider anything else. The Jungian approach to Universal Magic Theory is just waaaay too hermetic and logical in flavor to make much sense for the kind of street mage I was going for, despite the mysticism; it's perfect for technophiles and people who think a lot of other traditions are backward and that magic is just another thing that needs to be "figured out," but this character isn't any of those things.
Sponge
Since the character sheets are still trickling in , I actually have a couple minor bits of gear to add to my list ... grinbig.gif

Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Feb 7 2008, 06:59 PM) *
Heh. If/when I get to come in and play I'm going to be totally envious of your Tradition, which is pretty silly considering the circumstances. wink.gif

Really though, splitting the difference between Celtic & Wild Druid philosophy just fit the character background I was going for too well to consider anything else. The Jungian approach to Universal Magic Theory is just waaaay too hermetic and logical in flavor to make much sense for the kind of street mage I was going for, despite the mysticism; it's perfect for technophiles and people who think a lot of other traditions are backward and that magic is just another thing that needs to be "figured out," but this character isn't any of those things.

Yeah, kudos to you for the idea - it fits perfectly with a technologically aware, politically active style guy though.
Fenris
Okay, so a series of data search rolls with the agent:

Yamamoto - (Agent + Browse = 10 dice, 1 minute interval, threshold ?)

10 minutes - Data search for Yamamoto (10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=2, 10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=1, 10d6.hits(5)=4, 10d6.hits(5)=6, 10d6.hits(5)=5, 10d6.hits(5)=4, 10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=3)

Total - 31 hits

Address in the international district -
10 minutes - Data search for address of meet in the International District (10d6.hits(5)=5, 10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=5, 10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=5, 10d6.hits(5)=2, 10d6.hits(5)=4, 10d6.hits(5)=5, 10d6.hits(5)=4)

Total - 39

Massage parlor/hostess bar -

10 minutes - data search on hostess parlor (10d6.hits(5)=1, 10d6.hits(5)=1, 10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=2, 10d6.hits(5)=4, 10d6.hits(5)=3, 10d6.hits(5)=1, 10d6.hits(5)=2, 10d6.hits(5)=0)

Total - 20

Summoning roll for Force 7 Earth Elemental - Summoning(4) Magic(7) Power Foci(3) (14d6.hits(5)=5)

Spirit Resist Roll (Force 7) - 7d6.hits(5)=2

3 net hits

Drain - DV 4 - Willpower(5) Logic(5) (10d6.hits(5)=4)

No drain.

Binding Roll (Invoking) - Binding(4) Magic(7) Power Foci(3) (14d6.hits(5)=5)

Edge: Using Edge to re-roll failed dice from binding test (9d6.hits(5)=2)

Spirit Resist Roll (Force x 2 = 14) - Earth Elemental Resisting binding (14d6.hits(5)=6)

0 net >.<

Drain - DV 18 - Drain roll for Binding Earth Elemental Willpower 5 Logic 5 Centering 5 (14d6.hits(5)=6)

Edge: Edge on drain roll (8d6.hits(5)=2)

Passing off 5 to the ally spirit.

Invoking Test - Binding(4) Magic(7) Power Foci(3) Spirits Force(7) (21d6.hits(5)=cool.gif

So, +8 dice to resist banishing, +1 reach, +1 power, +Quake, +powers affect areas, and spirit can choose to exclude targets, +3 to all stats.

Optional Powers: Elemental Attack, Engulf, Fear

3 Services.

Taking an hour off to heal. Healing test for stun damage (8d6.hits(5)=3)

Summoning roll for Force 4 Water Elemental - Summoning(4) Magic(7) Power Foci(3) (14d6.hits(5)=6)

Spirit Resist (4) - Water Elemental Resist (4d6.hits(5)=1)

5 net hits.

Drain - Buy off drain.

Binding(Invoking) - Binding(4) Magic(7) Power Foci(3) (14d6.hits(5)=6)

Spirit Resist (cool.gif - Water elemental binding resist (8d6.hits(5)=2)

Drain - DV 6 - Willpower(5) Logic(5) Centering(4) (14d6.hits(5)=3)

3 boxes of stun.

Invoking - Binding(4) Magic (7) Power Foci(3) Spirits Force(4) (18d6.hits(5)=7)

All the same abilities as above, except only +7 to banish resists and only +2 to stats, +Storm.

Optional Power: Psychokinesis, Noxious Breath

8 services.

Taking another hour to rest - Healing test (8d6.hits(5)=3)

Summoning roll for Force 4 Fire Elemental - Summoning(4) Magic(7) Power Foci(3) (14d6.hits(5)=cool.gif

Spirit Resist (4) - Fire elemental resist roll (4d6.hits(5)=0)

Drain - Buy off drain

Binding (Invoking) - Binding(4) Magic(7) Power Foci(3) (14d6.hits(5)=3)

Spirit Resist(cool.gif - Fire Elemental resist roll (8d6.hits(5)=3)

Binding/Invoking failed.

Drain - DV 8 - Willpower(5) Logic(5) Centering(4) (14d6.hits(5)=5)

+3 drain, for a total of 5.

Sleeping it off wink.gif

Hours - First hour. (8d6.hits(5)=1)
2nd Hour (8d6.hits(5)=3)
3rd Hour (8d6.hits(5)=3)
Sponge
Spider is going to do a drive-by of the location on his motorcycle and scope out the building.

He's also going to see if the name Kenichi Yamamoto from the video clip rings a bell, with his Seattle Yakuza knowledge skill:
[5,5,6,2,4,1,1,1,3] = (3)

Buddha72
Ok all don't forget your weekly drip of karma for the week. I have the following final character sheets in my inbox:

Krossfire
Rayne
Bakatare
Munkir
Spider
Dvalinn Runar
Godzilla

I am still missing a final character sheet for:

Hads played by Karaden
Haze played by Whipstitch

The deadline is this Friday, any characters I don't have sheets for will be dropped from the thread. I think 2 weeks is plenty of time to get sheets into me.

Some people have asked about the rules introduced in Arsenal such as the armor modification limits and if they are being used, and the answer is yes. Since we're using the book I plan on using the rules introduced in the book. For those of you without the new book each piece of armor or clothing can only accept a total number of modifications rating points equal to 6 or the highest number of its armor ratings (Ballistic or Impact) x 1.5 (round up), whichever is higher. So make sure you read over the book and make any adjustments needed, just send me a PM with the changes and I'll modify the sheets I have.

Cthulhudreams I was looking over your character sheet and I noticed your armor mods have no rating attached to them. Keep in mind the armor modification rules found in Arsenal on page 44 or just look above a few lines. wink.gif

Look for an IC post in the next 30 minutes or so. Thanks all!
Buddha72
Ok IC post is up, feel free to post reactions and rolls here so i can bump the intelligence gathering forward.
Redjack
@Buddha: Can we assume that the purchase of any legal gear, availability 12 or less, at book prices can simply be fluffed through in an IC post?
Buddha72
That's a safe assumption. grinbig.gif
Cthulhudreams
Cthulhudreams I was looking over your character sheet and I noticed your armor mods have no rating attached to them. Keep in mind the armor modification rules found in Arsenal on page 44 or just look above a few lines. wink.gif

Look for an IC post in the next 30 minutes or so. Thanks all!

Blast. I *didn't* think we were using it, so I just maxed out all the mods from the basic book on that chameleon suit. I haven't even read the arsenal rules for armour mods yet.

I'll fix it when I get home tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012