Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyber hair?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MaxMahem
Augmentation has rules for cyber hair, that is fiber-optic hair that can blend and flow with any of the colors of the rainbow. Very cool and pink-mohawkish, but probably not all that useful to your average shadowrunner. The rules specificaly state that the fibers are about twice as thick as normal hair and I get the feeling that it would not make a very good imitation of it.

So how about cyber hair that IS a good imitation of normal hair, but with the added advantage of being able to change its color on command? Sure you can get biowear that can change your whole bodies apperance, but if your hair stays the same its kind of a give-away.

So what would you guys charge for such hair? Would cybernetic hair that can even length and contract on command be possible as well?
Karaden
You do realise that human hair is roughly 50-100 microns (There are 25400 microns in one inch.) thick, and that doubling that only makes it 100-200 microns, meaning that it could just be as thick as thick hair, or slightly thicker, but is still not going to be notably different from normal hair. It isn't like each strand suddenly becomes a 1/2 inch thick or something.

I'd say that cyberhair is going to be compleatly unidentifyable as anything special unless you have it programed to move, or someone sees it activly changing color or something like that, but under normal cercumstances I'd guess totally indistinguishable.

I see nothing wrong with the cyberhair as is. It after all makes for an excelent disguise, as you can change hair color and style on a whim.
DTFarstar
Not that this is relevant, but my Cell Biology teacher recently informed us that human hair is 800 microns in thickness on average. Maybe she meant 80? Trying to look it up, but my cable is SHITTY right now.

Chris
Karaden
Well, everything I've read has said 50-100 or 50-300, so I'm gussing she was rather wrong about 800, either way, the fact of the matter is that if you look at your own hair, you'll notice that doubling its thickness wouldn't really make it look that much different. You may have a bit of trouble with really fine tooth combs, but I think that would be the biggest problem.
DTFarstar
Yeah, the stuff I managed to find(finally) said the same thing. Probably a typo on her part that eventually she just accepted as being right.

Chris
Dashifen
I've always assumed that cybernetic hair is probably undetectable without a touch link or some other form of tactile enhancing cyberware. And, it's incredibly handy for shadowrunners ... how else do do all your runs as a blond and go home as a brunette biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Dashifen)
... how else do do all your runs as a blond and go home as a brunette

Makeover! wink.gif
bibliophile20
Just so others reading this topic don't have to go hunting themselves, from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair#Head_hair
color number of hairs diameter
Blond 146,000 1â?„1500th to 1â?„500th inch 17 to 51 micrometers
Black 110,000 1â?„400th to 1â?„250th inch 64 to 100 micrometers
Brunette 100,000 variable variable
Red 86,000 variable variable
Dashifen
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Jan 24 2008, 12:04 AM)

Makeover! wink.gif

sarcastic.gif show off ....
MaxMahem
So the consensus is that fiber-optic cyber hair is mostly indistinguishable from normal hair, and the electro-static functionality lets you change your hairstyle at will as well? I'm okay with that.

But does anyone have any thoughts on what it might cost to make it length adjustable to an extent? Maybe double essence and cost?
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)

Makeover! wink.gif

...or Melanin Control. then you can also change your skin tone and eye colour to boot. grinbig.gif

[scratches head for a moment... question.gif ]

...waitaminute...Makeover? Don't you mean Mask/Physical Mask? I thought Makoever only spiffed you up.
Karaden
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Fortune)

Makeover! wink.gif

...or Melanin Control. then you can also change your skin tone and eye colour to boot. grinbig.gif

[scratches head for a moment... question.gif ]

...waitaminute...Makeover? Don't you mean Mask/Physical Mask? I thought Makoever only spiffed you up.

Heh, depends on the person and the intent. Just sprusing up can make some people hard to recognise, and more then easy enough to get a hairstyle and color change with a makeover, as well as a facial skin tone change.

As for making it able to extend/retract.. well for some reason it just seems really difficult to imagine how that would be possable. I mean your scalp really doesn't have much spare room to retract all that hair too, or extend it from. I could imagine getting the hair to sort of bunch up a bit to make it slightly shorter, and I don't see much reason that you couldn't just plain buy longer or shorter hair if you wanted. I'd suggest allowing any hair to shorten by.. maybe 1in per foot of total length, and allow longer hair to be bought for a bit extra, and shorter hair to be bought for the same price (less material but has to be custom trimmed a bit.)

Of course I've just thought of this.. you have to have about 100,000 pices of wire all implanted into your head. I would think that operation would take weeks or months and cost a fortuine to get the doctor to be willing to work on it for you... maybe they have some pad they just press against your head that shoots them all in *shurg*
Cardul
I just realized this: You can now do Jem in Shadowrun! *ducks for cover!*
JonathanC
TRULY OUTRAGEOUS!
knasser

By the sounds of this I'm going to regret knowing, but "Jem" ?
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Karaden)

Of course I've just thought of this.. you have to have about 100,000 pices of wire all implanted into your head. I would think that operation would take weeks or months and cost a fortuine to get the doctor to be willing to work on it for you... maybe they have some pad they just press against your head that shoots them all in *shurg*

They have hair transplants now, I'm quite sure fake cyberoptic hair isn't that far feteched. They could just make a wig and graft it to your head.
JonathanC
QUOTE (knasser)
Cardul
QUOTE (knasser)

Oh, you poor, deprived child f the 1990's...
Samantha
But was she outrageous? Truly, truly outrageous?
apollo124
The best example of fiber optic hair I've seen lately is in the movie "Ultraviolet". If you forget about the whole antigravity-using vampires thing.
apollo124
QUOTE (JonathanC)
QUOTE (knasser @ Jan 23 2008, 11:10 PM)

And good God, someone actually has a "Jem" fansite. "The world is truly doomed" wobble.gif wobble.gif wobble.gif
MaxMahem
I think retractable cyberhair might be possible someway. They could build in an extension to you skull or something, or dig out a small cavity in you skull for it. They manage to cram all that other cyber-junk in there so why not some hair? You brain doesn't take up all your skull after all. For those with a cyber-skull it should only take up capacity in fact.

---

Wow, how did I miss such a truly great '80s cartoon? I must find and download it now!
Ravor
You know, I think I'd simply rule that you can buy telescoping cyberhair, sure it might not be as strong as "normal" cyberhair, but it surely is going to be stronger then normal hair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012