Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Violence
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
MaxMahem
In most 'classic' Shadowrun campaigns the players play criminals for hire, which means they take on all sorts of varied tasks, many of which involve murder and death. Inevitably some of this spills out onto the streets as the players find the need to wack somebody in a public situation.

My question is, how much of this do you guys tolerate in your campaign? At what point do you drop the heavy hammer of the Star/police pursuit of the players and public awareness of the deeds they have done? I guess this is more of a setting choice as some campaigns any public deed is cause for concern and the PCs are something like 'super spies.' While in other public violence is a fact of life, and the PCs are ganger's or something. I always tried to have my campaign fall between these two extremes, in the classic Shadowrun tone.

That is the occasional public death is okay, depending upon the circumstances. Gun somebody down in Redmond (or your campaigns equivalent) and the Star/police will probably never get involved and it will never make the news. Kill someone in a better neighborhood (like Trenton) and the Star will investigate, and there will be a news blip, but little more (unless the death was spectacular in some way). Police response will be delayed. Kill some one downtown or in Bellevue and the police will respond immediately and with force.

I ask this because my last camping 'session' my players started to engage in violence in a very public way (in one case chopping a guy in two in broad daylight). Culminating in an ill thought out plan to assault an ambulance and a lack of foresight into the consequences there off. I was unsure how to respond (poor planning on my part I guess), though was planning on dropping the hammer later on in the run. We never got that part though nyahnyah.gif

The recordings online at my podcast if you want the blow by blow, but my real questions is this? What would you guys have done? I tend to feel guilty whenever I whack a PC.
Kalvan
In all of my games, that never happened. Wacking people openly and publically is for gangers and the less sophistocated of syndicates. All of the groups I played in drew the line at deliberate wetwork of anyone other than Blood Magicians, Incect Shamans, Toxic Shamans, and anyone deliberately trying to spread VITAS, AIDS V, or HMVV. This means even deliberately offing a member of Humanis, despite the fact that only one runner at most was Human in any given team we played, is an absolute taboo.
Ravor
In a world where it is common that a wageslave in one of the better parts of town will see at least two murders, three muggings, and one rape while walking to work and the "police" are more akin to a legalized gang then law enforcement public violence is a simple fact of life ...

... Of course remember that the knife cuts both ways and that if the Runners are smart they'll make sure that their brand of violence doesn't stand out in the normal background noise of life in the sprawl.
Siege
For my group, violence was a tool, but not a form of recreation.

Wetwork was never really an issue because all the targets usually did something nasty enough to warrant our own particular sledgehammer.

For all the nuns, do-gooders and pesky reporters, contracting with the local go-gang was a helluva lot cheaper.

-Siege

Critias
It all depends on what streets you're talking about, and who got killed.
Synner667
QUOTE (MaxMahem @ Jan 25 2008, 04:03 AM)
In most 'classic' Shadowrun campaigns the players play criminals for hire, which means they take on all sorts of varied tasks, many of which involve murder and death.

No, No, No.

Not true at all..
..Unless you consider Law Enforcement, Rockstars, American Indian Tribesmen, Doc Wagon personnel or Special Forces 'criminals' ??

In fact, wetwork is generally NOT advocated as a way to succeed at anything - although people do die in gory and unpleasant styles, shadowruns where many people die is usually considered a poorly executed run and has not been the subject of ANY published SR material [apart from the Striper books, that I know of].

SR4 is quite a degeneration of SR as a whole and, unfortunately, is the most widely held view of what SR and cyberpunk is - everything is bad, killing or back-stabbing all around you is the only way to survive, etc.

Anyone who's been involved in SR before SR4, or has read all of the SR books, will know that many of the characters are NOT criminals.

Having SR as a game where the only available characters are crims'n'mercs is really limiting what is available and what can be done.

Games where the players indulge in casual violence are games where the players should expect casual violence to be indulged upon them, by people with better weapons and better skills - a game where you're not actually going to do much, because you'll probably be out of ammo and money and life before you get to do anything.

It also indicates that they can't think of a better way to do things, and their characters will not rise above gutterpunks-who-can-shoot.
Fortune
QUOTE (Synner667)
Not true at all..
..Unless you consider Law Enforcement, Rockstars, American Indian Tribesmen, Doc Wagon personnel or Special Forces 'criminals' ??

Anyone who's been involved in SR before SR4, or has read all of the SR books, will know that many of the characters are NOT criminals.

Having SR as a game where the only available characters are crims'n'mercs is really limiting what is available and what can be done.

Note MaxMahem's use of the word 'classic'. He even put it in quotes.
Synner667
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 25 2008, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE (Synner667)
Not true at all..

Note MaxMahem's use of the word 'classic'. He even put it in quotes.

And those characters don't exist in SR anymore ??

Of course they do, and SR4 is failing its background by not having them available.

My SR is NOT your SR, and that's a good thing..
..Because I'm NOT you, and we each have our preferences, and each is just as viable.
Critias
QUOTE (Synner667)
In most 'classic' Shadowrun campaigns the players play criminals for hire, which means they take on all sorts of varied tasks, many of which involve murder and death.

No, No, No.

Not true at all..

What are you smoking?

How many old-school published adventures are aimed at rockerboys and DocWagon team members instead of professional criminals? What's the ratio of adventures appealing to a special forces operative's patriotism to take on a job, as opposed to a Johnson in the back room of a bar offering a crew of criminals money to do something? "Indian Tribesmen," really? How many games have been run dealing with day-to-day bullshit out in the NAN?

All of those are valid backgrounds for a character, but 95% of the time you see them in a Shadowrun game, they're just that -- backgrounds. A miniscule number of sourcebooks have been aimed at those archetypes, compared to the amount of source material that's out there for, y'know, shadowrunners. In "most 'classic' Shadowrun campaigns" all the zany crap you mentioned is just fluff and backstory, describing where and how various professional criminals got their chrome, their skills, and/or the chip on their shoulder.

"I used to be a cop," the grim-faced woman says as she finishes re-wiring the security panel and the team hustles past her into the once-secure facility.

"Really?" The other street samurai says as he darts past her, gear rustling and a medkit slung over one shoulder opposite his SMG, "Docwagon bought me my smartlink and wired reflexes."

"Shh," the lone, mysterious, Indian Adept hisses, angling his head and readying his bow. "Like the wolf stalking a deer, we must be silent as the hunt begins."

"I'm all set," Danny Danger says, wiping white powder off his nose and adjusting the crotch of his leather pants. "Let's rock and roll! Awright! WHOOO!"
MaxMahem
QUOTE (Synner667)

No, No, No.

Not true at all..
..Unless you consider law Enforcement, Rockstars, American Indian Tribesmen and Doc Wagon personnel 'criminal' ??

SR4 is quite a degeneration of SR as a whole and, unfortunately, is the most widely held view of what SR and cyberpunk is - everything is bad, killing or back-stabbing all around you is the only way to survive, etc.

I won't argue that playing Doc Wagon workers, Cops, or rockstars isn't a legitimate way of playing shadowrun, it certainly is. But it would be untrue to say that the 'classic' method of shadowrun play has revolved around these campaign types. And by 'classic' I mean the play style defined by the published runs and adventures. With a few exceptions nearly every single one revolves around criminals for hire of one sort of another. With the killing and back-stabbing and all that entails. I haven't read all the novels, but the few I have follow this theme as well.

The very word 'Shadowrunner' implies a deniable asset, willing and able to perform deeds that their employers can't been seen doing, which almost always means breaking the law and often killing people. An, oddly enough, the game 'Shadowrun' focuses around these people. Not Doc Wagon employees or cops. Not that you can't play them if you want to.

Its also unfair to say that SR4 (as opposed to earlier editions) focus more on this then previous editions did. 4th, as far as I can tell, is no more focused on this or biased against other campaign types than any previous edition was. The rules are different to be sure, but the standard assumption that a character is a SINless criminal remains the same. Indeed in every edition since 2nd (when I started) most characters are criminals by virtue of simply existing, having illegal cyberwear and magic, not to mention their unlicensed weapons.

---

But all this is neither here no there. My campaign, for better or worse, focuses around shadowrunners. That is, part criminals for higher, part troubleshooters (find trouble, shoot it), part detective, part thug, and part super-spy. Probably a bit more on the bloodthirsty side than most. Simply because that is what we enjoy.

My question is, given those circumstances, how heavy do you come down when the PCs start flouting the law? I ask because due to a poorly thought out plan one of my PCs took off on a mad chase in a Doc Wagon Van, which ended poorly for him when the Doc Wagon VTOL and the police caught up with him. And as always after killing a PC, I feel a bit guilty. I wonder if I had brought the police down heavier on earlier acts of violence such stupidity could have been avoided.

OTOH, players are going to do stupid things no matter what you do I guess.
I'm inclined to agree with Citas here:
It all depends on what streets you're talking about, and who got killed.
arathian
So, chopping a guy in two or attacking an ambulance is a pretty extreme example, but violence in public can actually go unnoticed or without a police response for a surprising amount of time.

For example, take the 1993 CIA Shootings. Search Wikipedia if you want the full story, but basically a guy shot 5 people with an AK-47 in front of CIA headquarters at 8 am in the morning, and there was no armed response.

Also, based on my RL experience, even violence in public downtown does not draw an immediate response (having seen a bit myself), and a death among the transient population would probably go unnoticed for some time, or even if it is noticed be attributed to drug overdose ('cause it is like a 99% chance) until an autopsy was done.

The police presence downtown is highly variable, with a high concentration during rush hour (morning and evening), but very little at night or on weekends, mostly because there is hardly anyone downtown at all during those times. On a holiday weekend downtown Seattle is like a ghost town.

Shadowrunners are inhumanly fast, use silencers (and Seattle has a ton of ambient noise), tend to look like businessmen on the streets (at least in my game), use magic, spirit concealment, etc., so it is not out of line for them to get away with quite a bit for a while at least.

All that said, breaking and entering into any high value corporate property, or extracting a high profile individual is likely to draw a quickly escalating response.
Method
Because I'm bored...

QUOTE (SR1 page 6)
In the world of 2050, the megaplexes are monsters casting long shadows.  As shadowrunners, that's is where you live, in the cracks between the giant corporate structures.  When the megacorporations want something done but they don't want to dirty their hands, its a Shadowrun they need, and they come to you.  Though your existence is not acknowledged by any governmental or corporate database...

QUOTE (SR1 page 8 )
Shadowrun n. Any movement, action, or series of such made in carrying out plans which are illegal or quasi-legal.

While you are right about the Archetypes section containing a variety of "non-criminal" type characters (including the rocker and the tribesman), I think its highly implied that your characters are not supposed to be legit...
Backgammon
QUOTE (MaxMahem)
I ask this because my last camping 'session' my players started to engage in violence in a very public way (in one case chopping a guy in two in broad daylight). Culminating in an ill thought out plan to assault an ambulance and a lack of foresight into the consequences there off. I was unsure how to respond (poor planning on my part I guess), though was planning on dropping the hammer later on in the run. We never got that part though nyahnyah.gif

The amount of "public violence" that 2070 society can tolerate can vary. the only thing that is important is that the GM and the players have the same understanding of it.

Two things can happen - 1) the players do some public violence and think it's no big deal while the GM thinks it is or 2) the players do some public violence and think it's a big deal and the GM thinks that too.

If you are in situation 1, stop right now. Talk to the players and make sure they understand the gravity of their act. Bringing the GM Hammer of Pain down on players that do not understand why is a sure way to create an unpleasant situation and friction between GM and Player. They'll think you are being a bully and unfair and you'll think they are being stupid.

MAKE SURE EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME WAVELENGTH.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Bringing the GM Hammer of Pain down on players that do not understand why is a sure way to create an unpleasant situation and friction between GM and Player. They'll think you are being a bully and unfair and you'll think they are being stupid.

MAKE SURE EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME WAVELENGTH.

QFT
Blade
QUOTE (Ravor)
In a world where it is common that a wageslave in one of the better parts of town will see at least two murders, three muggings, and one rape while walking to work

It's not the first time I read something like this. Does it come from some official book, or is it just something that gets thrown around here often?
knasser
QUOTE (Blade)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jan 25 2008, 05:40 AM)
In a world where it is common that a wageslave in one of the better parts of town will see at least two murders, three muggings, and one rape while walking to work

It's not the first time I read something like this. Does it come from some official book, or is it just something that gets thrown around here often?

Ravor has an exceptionally dystopian take on the Shadowrun setting to the point that it is not unreasonable for a manager to kill an underperforming worker and corps keep their employees in line with large quantities of drugs.

It's not necessarily how a lot of other people play.
djinni
QUOTE (Blade)

it just gets thrown around alot, everyone's shadowrun is different.
mine has shadowrunners afraid of ghouls
crash2029
I figured I would add my two cents here. In my game the dystopian setting of Shadowrun causes there to be a large disconnect between the concepts of law and justice. When the laws are made by subjective organizations aimed at only improving their own situations to the exclusion of the "little people" justice is a rare commodity indeed. In fact most people in my game hate the corps to some degree or another, and often secretly champion Robin Hood style runners. I mean lets face it almost everybody secretly (or not so secretly) loves it when events turn to the disadvantage of "the man." As such many of the runners in my games have quite a sense of morality that they have to rationalize when they pursue their careers. They try to help the downtrodden, but not so much as to endanger their own livelihoods. In this vein my games do not usually have a problem with gratuitous public displays of violence. When such displays do occur I levy penalties against the runner in question, however I do only insofar as the game remains fun. After all it is just a game, and one where cooperation is necessary to achieve a pleasurable outcome. In the situation of the runners chasing the ambulance and publicly bisecting a guard I probably would arrest the runner(s) and then a run to either break them out or a "repayment" to the mysterious benefactor who engineers their freedom. Anyways thats just my two cents.
Riley37
In such cases, I recommend dropping out of the usual cycle of "Player declared action, GM declares immediate result", and calling a time out. Ask the player, straight up, what their plan is, for the medium-range time frame (not IP to IP, but more how the scene will end); listen; then advise the player that this plan seems reckless and likely to result in PC fatality, and, if applicable, to endanger other PCs. Tell the player that the PC gets a bad feeling about their plan.

If you give fair warning and the player sticks to their plan - either because the player wants to test the limits of the game world (like a teenager finding out the limits of their body by going without sleep for a day or three), or because the player decides that the PC would ignore the bad feeling - then if the PC dies, the guilt is not on the GM.

If you are thinking "wow, this player is gonna get his PC killed" but you're NOT SAYING SO, then the guilt is on the GM.

See the thread a month or two back on the player who had their PC go alone into an Invae lair. The PC's body is now home to an insect spirit; the PC's soul is gone. Every post said that the GM had made the right choice for the circumstances. (Some encouraged the player to start playing the insect spirit as a new PC, but that had complications.)

There's a Shadowrun-ish novel, "Oath of Fealty" I think, in which an arcology marks certain doors with "IF YOU GO THROUGH THIS DOOR, YOU WILL DIE". And those signs are largely accurate.
MaxMahem
Wow a lot of good advice here.

QUOTE (arathian)
So, chopping a guy in two or attacking an ambulance is a pretty extreme example, but violence in public can actually go unnoticed or without a police response for a surprising amount of time.

This has been my attitude as well. The question then of course becomes, when the players do cross that line, how do you get this point across to them and how hard do you come down? I find it difficult to go from 'okay you shot those two gangers, but nothing much ever comes to it,' to, 'oh crap, you mugged an ork, the police are on your but.' My problem is police seem to an all or nothing stick for me, and I've found it difficult to slowly ratchet up the pressure they put on the players. I've got some ideas for my next run however.

QUOTE (backgammon)
The amount of "public violence" that 2070 society can tolerate can vary. the only thing that is important is that the GM and the players have the same understanding of it.

Two things can happen - 1) the players do some public violence and think it's no big deal while the GM thinks it is or 2) the players do some public violence and think it's a big deal and the GM thinks that too.

If you are in situation 1, stop right now. Talk to the players and make sure they understand the gravity of their act. Bringing the GM Hammer of Pain down on players that do not understand why is a sure way to create an unpleasant situation and friction between GM and Player. They'll think you are being a bully and unfair and you'll think they are being stupid.

Excellent advice, though I don't think miscommunication in my games has reached drastic proportions yet. By 'bringing the hammer' I ment to imply consequences for their actions (namely more trouble sneaking into the doc-wagon facility in this case) not cows from space or something. Though after saying that, I did in the end bring in a Doc Wagon HTR VSTOL and a HMG, so I guess it would be untrue to say the hammer didn't come down.

I have been loath to have such frank discussions of possible outcomes with their actions with my players for a couple reasons.
#1. I feel that it tends to limit their actions. I feel that PCs should be free to do whatever they want in the campaign, as dictated by their characters desires. Telling them the possible results of their actions tends to railroad their choices in my experience.
#2. It puts information the players shouldn't have in their hands. Players shouldn't know the results of their actions before hand. Thats why the game has dice and a GM. If the players know what will happen they can (and with my group probably will) meta-game with that information.
Thats why I have generally preferred to have the results of events dictate the setting, rather than having a frank discussion with my players about it. Though I think your right in this case some discussion or even getting my players to think some more about the consequences of their actions was probably called for. Something along the lines that 'your character knows that...'

QUOTE (Ravor)
In a world where it is common that a wageslave in one of the better parts of town will see at least two murders, three muggings, and one rape while walking to work and the "police" are more akin to a legalized gang then law enforcement public violence is a simple fact of life ...

While my campaign setting isn't quite as violent as that, it is good advice to my players which I will pass along.

QUOTE (Riley37)
In such cases, I recommend dropping out of the usual cycle of "Player declared action, GM declares immediate result", and calling a time out. Ask the player, straight up, what their plan is, for the medium-range time frame (not IP to IP, but more how the scene will end); listen; then advise the player that this plan seems reckless and likely to result in PC fatality, and, if applicable, to endanger other PCs. Tell the player that the PC gets a bad feeling about their plan.

If you give fair warning and the player sticks to their plan - either because the player wants to test the limits of the game world (like a teenager finding out the limits of their body by going without sleep for a day or three), or because the player decides that the PC would ignore the bad feeling - then if the PC dies, the guilt is not on the GM.

If you are thinking "wow, this player is gonna get his PC killed" but you're NOT SAYING SO, then the guilt is on the GM.

I agree and disagree with this. I think I would have been better served, as you said, by dropping out of the usual cycle and getting the players to take a quick time out and think. However, I dislike advising the player on the likely results of their plans beyond what their character would like know (so I only invoke this in truly outrageous situations, like taking a Bow on the subway nyahnyah.gif). Though knowing the player involved in this incident I 'm not sure it would have mattered in the end. In this case. Another factor involved is that the PCs involved have little time to think these things out in some situations, so the players shouldn't have that much time themselves to think it out as well. Anyways the incident in questions starts up about 1:20 on the recording so you can judge for yourself.

QUOTE (Riley37)
See the thread a month or two back on the player who had their PC go alone into an Invae lair. The PC's body is now home to an insect spirit; the PC's soul is gone. Every post said that the GM had made the right choice for the circumstances. (Some encouraged the player to start playing the insect spirit as a new PC, but that had complications.)

Hmm... if I had my guess I would say that the GM of that player (who's character was possibly called Thrall) is probably an extreme genius and had no reason to doubt any of his actions ever. Except he wouldn't call insect spirits Invae because his group never ran any of the Harlequin stuff and had little interest in Earthdawn conections. But other than that you are right on. I only wish that GM had started his podcast back then so you guys could have that (very entertaining) run to listen to. biggrin.gif
deek
What I have done is just apply slow pressure. My players know they don't want to get caught by any law enforcement from the start. So, if they did something like that in public, or even something a little less public, but able to be seen (basically everything can be seen), then I apply some pressure.

I do that by bringing up a newscast a runner or two hears about it. Or it gets brought up by their contacts, saying they might be getting too high profile for this sweet money run. Sometimes I bring some detectives around, just to ask a few questions, put them on the spot.

These are several things I have done to show what they did was not okay. And if I felt like they improved their outlook, tried to avoid needless murder, or struggled a bit on the next run or two, I let things blow over.

I suppose that instead of dropping the hammer, and make the police an all or nothing proposition, I apply pressure.

Heck, if all else fails, you could always start to drop the hammer and then have the Star force bribe money for a while...there are always creative ways to push or pull the players into the feel of campaign that everyone is going for.
Pendaric
I started to warm up the players to the Star being on to them by rumors of Star snitchs asking questions about them. Information brokers contacting the PC's with interesting data, about the Star having a case file that was not going away involving them, contacts remarking on the heat they pulling after the ambulance heist etc
Let them know they is a time and place to get away and they nearly missed theirs.

Edit
Ja what deek said.
martindv
QUOTE (knasser @ Jan 25 2008, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 25 2008, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (Ravor @ Jan 25 2008, 05:40 AM)

Ravor has an exceptionally dystopian take on the Shadowrun setting to the point that it is not unreasonable for a manager to kill an underperforming worker and corps keep their employees in line with large quantities of drugs.

It's not necessarily how a lot of other people play.

Kingpin could have been a senior exec at Aztechnology

Since that is exactly how Aztechnology runs as written.

Also, I am almost certain that line comes from an early Shadowrun book.
Fortune
QUOTE (martindv @ Jan 26 2008, 12:05 PM)

And I'm almost certain that is incorrect.
kzt
QUOTE (arathian)
For example, take the 1993 CIA Shootings. Search Wikipedia if you want the full story, but basically a guy shot 5 people with an AK-47 in front of CIA headquarters at 8 am in the morning, and there was no armed response.

That was because the brother of a friend of mine who used to park his CIA security patrol vehicle on the hill overlooking that intersection every morning got written up for wasting his time there 6 months or so before the shooting. I remember his mentioning it months before the attack. The lesson stuck.
kzt
QUOTE (arathian)
The police presence downtown is highly variable, with a high concentration during rush hour (morning and evening), but very little at night or on weekends, mostly because there is hardly anyone downtown at all during those times. On a holiday weekend downtown Seattle is like a ghost town.

The armed Rotodrones and dense surveillance camera networks don't sleep or take breaks. No person may see you, but you'll make the nightly news, and they can quite possibly track you long enough forward and back to have a MMG armed rotodrone or a SWAT team say hi.
kzt
QUOTE (Riley37)
There's a Shadowrun-ish novel, "Oath of Fealty" I think, in which an arcology marks certain doors with "IF YOU GO THROUGH THIS DOOR, YOU WILL DIE". And those signs are largely accurate.

I always liked "Big Stuff". Yes, "Oath Of Fealty", Pournelle and Niven.
martindv
QUOTE (Fortune)

Well, one of has to be guessing correctly.
Ravor
Although I clearly remember reading it in a Shadowrun book somewhere a while back, I fully admitt to the possiblity that my aging memory is playing tricks on me again. cyber.gif

*Edit*

I'll add more later.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 25 2008, 08:35 PM)

I'm backing Fortune on this. Reason: Who ever heard of a wageslave walking to work?! They take the autocab/monorail/step from their apartment to the two steps to the elevator, up one floor, and they're at work. Wageslaves don't walk to work. That's blue collar.

Then there's the simple fact that if violence in the "better parts of town" were that common, where 'walking' a mere six blocks (well go with avg city blocks walking distance) results in that many murders daily, well then you've got 20 murders along just one stretch of road every week (assuming murderers take the weekend off). Simply put, corps wouldn't stand for that sort of daily work force attrition.

Or maybe I just shouldn't post so early in the morning.
Fortune
I'll concede the possibility that it could have been early shadowtalk, but I don't remember it.
Kremlin KOA
I am checking Neo Anarchists guide to real life for it
I think it might be in sprawl sites tho
it was definately shadowtalk
so not truly official but close.

I am gonna look over my books until i either find it, or have to open the storage shed to get some more of the older books
Critias
The only incident (off the top of my head) of such casual violence that I can recall was in one of the Dirk books, when a loonie on a street corner randomly decided to hose a bunch of people at a bus stop with an SMG -- and was promptly blasted under the karmic wheel by a nearby mage who didn't feel like getting hosed by aforementioned SMG.

It's been, y'know, probably fifteen years since I read it, but IIRC for the most part everyone just shrugged and went on with their day after the screaming and flailing died down.
martindv
I do concede one fact. As I recall, It was a shadowrunner making that comment about the Barrens.
Fortune
QUOTE (The Quote in Question)

Doesn't appear to be referring to the Barrens (either one) to me.
Method
I'm with fistandantilus3.0. That much violence sounds bad for productivity. The corps wouldn't put up it.

And as far as the omnipresent surveillance, I tend to agree with the ideas Frank put forth in his Alternate Matrix Rules. If the security surveillance was really that effective (even if that reflects the RL trend) ShadowRun might as well be called ShadowIncarceration which doesn't sound all that fun to me.
hyzmarca
One thing to remember though is the old adage that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Lone Star, municipal police, and even corpsec need murders and rapes and security breaches. They need them in good neighborhoods and top secret facilities. They need them because the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If the wheel doesn't squeak then that grease stops flowing.

If there are no terrible crimes in ritzy high-class neighborhoods, then it would be obvious that the local police are overpaid and overbudgeted so budgets get slashed and salaries get slashed and people get fired and last year's SOTA police vehicles and drones get sold at auction because the PD can't afford the fuel to run them anymore.

On the other hand, a wheel that squeaks to much gets replaced, so it is a delicate balancing act. There must be enough heinous violent crime to keep the people in fear so that they will throw more and more money at the police but there must not be so much that the people become outraged by the lack of police response and hire someone else to do the job instead.
martindv
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (The Quote in Question)

Doesn't appear to be referring to the Barrens (either one) to me.

I meant the line from some book I've been thinking of.

Not that I don't enjoy going around in circles on this.
Fortune
Ah, my mistake then. Still no idea as to which book it's in?
kzt
QUOTE (Method @ Jan 26 2008, 03:04 PM)
If the security surveillance was really that effective (even if that reflects the RL trend) ShadowRun might as well be called ShadowIncarceration which doesn't sound all that fun to me.

We are talking the downtown business district, where the corps have their offices and where the really expensive rental space is. Yes, there is complete coverage 24 hours a day on the streets, typically from multiple sources. If you decide to stage a drive by on the Ares Bank lots of cameras will see you. Lots of cameras will have seen you as you drove up, and lots will track you as you drive away. And when Gridlink cause all the lights to turn red it won't be hard for the rotodrones to catch up to you and LoneStar to put 250 rounds of MMG fire thought the floorboards after use of accident power causes you to crash while trying to drive on the sidewalks.

Casually doing street violence in secure areas like downtown gets you killed or arrested. It's in the interest of nobody important that people can commit violence with impunity against them, their businesses or their families. They all are motivated to help keep these areas secure. If you want to carry out a violent act in public here and get away you have to be extremely clever.
hyzmarca
The real question is whether or not the local authorities have the inclination and the budget to pay the exorbitant licensing fees required to obtain footage of crimes from extraterritorial security cameras, given that the footage of the driveby is copyrighted and could make a a decent profit as part of Faces of Death 97 and could potentially contain proprietary trade secrets.
kzt
That's easy. They offer a trade. If you help us we won't stonewall when someone attack you. Shooting up the pyramid isn't a crime in Seattle that the Star has to care about. So no video footage for Azzies of the suspects running out and hopping in the waiting car. And no BOLO or gridlink tracking for the car that drove away. Hell, you could blow the damn building up and a decent lawyer could make a claim that no felony was committed in UCAS territory.
Ravor
And the fact that the corps don't play nice together even when 2007 sensabilities screams that it would be in everyone's best interests that they do so is the only real reason that Shadowrunners can even exist.
kzt
I think that it's a game has a lot to do with that as well. . . The PCs in most games (including one's I've played in and run) tend to get cut a lot of slack as long as they don't do especially stupid things, like have a shootout in the Knight Errant visitors lobby.

Having the PCs killed or captured by the cops just doesn't help the game typically, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
Ravor
Personally I try not to run my games with the characters runnnig around with neon signs flashing "I'm a PC", but then again I try very hard not to break the Fourth Wall.
kzt
Yeah, but the players don't live there and are not professional criminals. So if they take some pains to not get caught and don't do stupid stuff I'll assume that the lone star adept who who has 23 dice in Detective isn't on their case.
Ravor
Not as big as a problem in a low dicepool world. wink.gif silly.gif facelick.gif
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Ravor)
And the fact that the corps don't play nice together even when 2007 sensabilities screams that it would be in everyone's best interests that they do so is the only real reason that Shadowrunners can even exist.

Prisoner's Dilemma

Read this and be enlightened
Method
And I think all that is the point of Frank's musings. Realistically everything you do would be captured on surveillance cameras, even in some of the worse neighborhoods. If all that footage was used and/or shared effectively your PCs would be caught at the end of every game session and you'd be generating new characters at the start of the next one.

Yes players should be deterred from doing obviously stupid stuff. If they like wearing tee shirts with their SINs printed on them while robbing a De Beer's Gallery in Bellevue they should get their asses handed to them.

But the point of the game is to have fun while role-playing a criminal (as antisocial as that is). Getting caught can make for an interesting story every once in awhile, but it shouldn't be the default ending. Thus surveillance has to have some inherent problems that allow runners to operate.
Blade
I don't like the idea that corps have everything they need to monitor everything but that they're too stupid to do it.
A high security corp facility with security holes just because it should allow PC inside is too much for my suspension of disbelief.
I don't really like the idea that they do it willingly, either.

I mostly consider that criminals (shadowrunners but also gangers and all others) can always find out a way to go around security. They exploit holes in the systems. For example, they avoid being tagged by being SINless, and there's nothing the governments or corps can do (or want to do) about SINlesses. They avoid the problems that being a SINless cause by having fake SINs. They have fake SINs which work because there are too many SINs to make sure that each and every one of them is really valid.
Likewise, they'll be able to go inside the high security facilities because it's impossible to have a 100% secure place. Electronic devices can always be fooled, so you'll need humans to check. And most humans are actually much less reliable than electronic devices.

But I wonder why I'm writing that, because in the end it's still the same old thing: if you prefer it when players can go in guns blazing through the front door, play it that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012