Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KiddieRun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bull
Branching out from another thread, so I don't Threadjack.

My old SR GM used to have a little rules-lite homebrew game he'd run as a pick up called "Backyard Battles" that was basically Calvin & Hobbes the RPG. We'd play out an eventful "Day in the life" of a bunch of 3rd graders (Things like Show & Tell day, Field Day, etc), characters were horribly steroetyped, and you had cry points instead of hit points. If you lost all your cry points, you went home crying.

Now I'm thinking of a variation of this as a Shadowrun themed game. Have a simplified version of the SR4 rules, a "kiddified" skill list, and the kids have to perform grade-school style runs... Stealing test answers, breaking a friend out of detention, stopping bullies from picking on kids. Hell, it's an RPG version of the Disney cartoon Recess, just toss in a few SR elements (Kiddie Hacker for the Nerd archetype, Kiddie Troll for the "Big, Dumb but sweet and friendly kid", Elf for the "Charismatic kid", etc), and you're good to go.

Shit. I did NOT need a new project right now. I'll report back when I have more.

Bull
crash2029
Upon reading the campaign precis my two thoughts in order:

1: that's not right

2: might be kinda fun
Adarael
Sounds kinda like Cybergeneration if it was run in a Jr. High...
bibliophile20
I dunno... I just remembered this from the motivational posters thread... (top poster on the page)
hyzmarca
I think that Codename:Kids Next Door has substantially more shadowrun potential than Recess does. You wouldn't even have to kiddify the skills. Just change the fluff so that all of the high-tech equipment and cyberware is make out of plywood.
Kyoto Kid
...and the junior runners can be sent to steal Calvin's transmogrifier. grinbig.gif
Gelare
Oh man, there's a nice little walk down memory lane. That game sounds like a lot of fun - I'd play it.
Bull
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I think that Codename:Kids Next Door has substantially more shadowrun potential than Recess does. You wouldn't even have to kiddify the skills. Just change the fluff so that all of the high-tech equipment and cyberware is make out of plywood.

KND would probably be a good concept, except for two things.

1) I was thinking of keeping it strictly within the bounds of "Real Life" school in 2070. Play up the situations some, but no wierd super-secret kid super-spies. Honestly, Cazmonster's Covert Generation would handle this pretty well.

2) I watched a lot of Recess for one reason or another. I've only seen a couple episodes of KND, so it didn't jump to mind quite as readily smile.gif

Bull
Calabim
You should take a look at Little Fears. While it is more of a horror game it might carry some inspiration.

I must also say I am really digging this idea.
Large Mike
There's a homebrew game that's real popular with my players called Heavy Ordinance. The whole idea is that everyone that's gone through puberty has been taken over by brain-eating demons.

I believe the opening quote goes something like: "In the third grade, Mrs. Watson gave me a D in Math. Now she's a brain-eating demon and I have a minigun with 3000 rounds of HESH ammo. Mrs. Watson, class is back in session."

It was a delight to play, even if we did have to tear out the rules and replace them with the rules from Unknown Armies.
apollo124
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
I dunno... I just remembered this from the motivational posters thread... (top poster on the page)

I laughed for a solid minute after looking at that! Too funny! biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
...I guess I was thinking more along this line...

Gunslinger Girl

...now aren't they just sweet little darlings? grinbig.gif
Bull
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=20295

Starting a thread in community projects, where I'll post my work as I go.

Bull
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

Gunslinger Girl

The girl on the upper right... is it just me, or is the gun as tall as she is?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Bull)
1) I was thinking of keeping it strictly within the bounds of "Real Life" school in 2070. Play up the situations some, but no wierd super-secret kid super-spies. Honestly, Cazmonster's Covert Generation would handle this pretty well.

Kids Next Door is real life. We just don't remember it because we've been decommissioned. There really is a plywood moonbase staffed entirely be children 12 and under.
Fabe
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

Gunslinger Girl

yea, brainwashed, cyber/bio ware enhanced children being used as government and/or corp assassins sure sounds like "Shadowrun" to me. PS have you seen the new art style for season two? not sure I like it.
DTFarstar
I've actually watched a few episodes of Gunslinger Girl a couple of years back, I was pleasantly surprised.

Chris
MaxHunter
Have you watched the anime series Denno Coil? It's all abot kids, hacker kids, hacker kids in a full AR-enabled city. Pretty good too.

Also, I think one of the settings for the true20 system has a nice kid setting too, can't remember the name thogh. IIRC the archetypes were very cool. like: normal kid: quote: "I like icecream" and so on...

But consider the possibilities of the Matrix and AR for opposition. And if there is a technomancer in the group, well, things could become very serious pretty quickly. Yeah, "Children of the Matrix" ... that could be interesting...

Cheers,

Max
Stahlseele
i did watch dennou coil . . i wasn't in the least bit impressed by it . . even if it gave some good ideas as to how the AR Overlay would work . .
Cardul
QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 26 2008, 03:58 AM)

Gunslinger Girl

The girl on the upper right... is it just me, or is the gun as tall as she is?

That is an illusion of perspective. If you use something to measure the shot gun, and turn it asround, starting at her feet, it comes to just where we see the tie go into her blouse.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Fabe)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 26 2008, 03:58 AM)

Gunslinger Girl

yea, brainwashed, cyber/bio ware enhanced children being used as government and/or corp assassins sure sounds like "Shadowrun" to me. PS have you seen the new art style for season two? not sure I like it.

They are doing a second season? Oh good, 13 episodes really wasn't enough to whet my appetite.
Kyoto Kid
...ohmigoddess... didn't mean to [Derail] this thead so badly. I just posted a pic that's all...really.

Bull, please accept my humble apologies.

[/Derail]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012