Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of Latin America
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
boost
I know this is a sore subject for a lot of us but is there any chance that this is ever going to be released? Holostreets page is now just a blank page (the logoed dead page that was there is even now gone). We are running a campain that can really use it and it is refured to in corp enclaves even. For people that are running runs into atzlan it would really help.
Demonseed Elite
Let me put it this way. The writers (myself included) have been told for years now that it would be released on Holostreets. When Catalyst took over the license, there was a renewed sense that it would be released soon. Since then, however, I haven't personally seen any movement on it.

I know that's not really an answer, but it's the only one I have.
boost
thanks. ya it looks like the holostreets isn't going to materialize anytime soon if ever.
BookWyrm
*points to a weed-choked half-decayed tombstone: "Here Lies Shadows of Latin America. Put Your Favorite Euphamism Here."*
ThreeGee
Perhaps after the success of the Amazonia 2064 World Cup they'll make a repeat visit in 2072...

Surely a whole continent can't be lost forever?
Grinder
I so wish you're right.

The worst thing was the teasing in Corporate Enclaves on page 123 iirc where SoLA is mentioned. Whoever wrote this entry is undoubtly the most cruel person in the world.
toturi
QUOTE (Grinder)
I so wish you're right.

The worst thing was the teasing in Corporate Enclaves on page 123 iirc where SoLA is mentioned. Whoever wrote this entry is undoubtly the most cruel person in the world.

I was about to remark about the same thing.
Ryu
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Let me put it this way. The writers (myself included) have been told for years now that it would be released on Holostreets. When Catalyst took over the license, there was a renewed sense that it would be released soon. Since then, however, I haven't personally seen any movement on it.

I know that's not really an answer, but it's the only one I have.

Thats a harsh situation, dude.

What is your timeframe for the NY writeup you plan on doing? "Its done when its done" goes without saying of course.
apollo124
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
Perhaps after the success of the Amazonia 2064 World Cup they'll make a repeat visit in 2072...

Surely a whole continent can't be lost forever?

Atlantis, Lemuria, Pangea.

Nope. A whole continent can't disappear forever.

biggrin.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Ryu)
What is your timeframe for the NY writeup you plan on doing? "Its done when its done" goes without saying of course.

As far as writing goes, I imagine late spring or summer. What comes next depends on whether it is going through Holostreets or not. If it's not, I don't have to include time for stuff like art and layout. Unless Dumpshockers want to do artwork for it. nyahnyah.gif

Another thing about SoLA. I'm not sure it's "professional" for me to mention this, but legally speaking, the writers of SoLA still own the material they wrote. None of us have been paid for it and the original contracted entity (FanPro) wouldn't even be publishing it anymore. Catalyst would have to work something out with us, with new contracts. And they haven't done so yet. So technically speaking, I could post my two SoLA chapters whenever I felt like it. The only thing that has kept me from doing so is that if I do that, I basically kill the idea of the book being formally released for all the other writers, and I don't really want to screw them over.
swirler
yeah I too have been eagerly waiting for4 SoLA
frown.gif
I loved Findley's work in the Aztlan book and was hoping for more info. I live in Houston and would love to deal with the texas/aztlan situation thing in Shadowrun
Stahlseele
The only thing that has kept me from doing so is that if I do that, I basically kill the idea of the book being formally released for all the other writers, and I don't really want to screw them over.

is it just me or does that strike somebody else as kinda ironic considering screwing over people is basically what shadowrun is all about?
of course i can understand you, just saying *g*
BookWyrm
I say, get to work on getting those contracts started, so nobody gets screwed over. All it takes is one foul up & the whole effort can be ruined.
Adam
There's something I want to make really clear about Shadows of Latin America: It is not a complete book. It is not "finished" by any stretch of the imagination. There are many steps taken after a book's drafts are turned in by the authors: development [the developer reads/edits all the chapters, make sure that facts match up between them, that they're presented consistently, that they aren't missing information, etc], editing [the nitty gritty of checking for spelling mistakes, grammar, other stylistic and legibility issues], artwork [which includes not just the artist's time to build the artwork, but the art director's time to figure out roughly where illustrations should be placed, what should be illustrated, and back-and-forth with the artist over rough drafts], layout/production [making sure it LOOKS like a Shadowrun book] and proofing [catching last minute mistakes, especially ones that were introduced in layout.

Years ago, when IMR agreed to take on SOLA, it was believed that FanPro would be delivering them a product that was at *least* past the editing stage. However, the person developing SOLA dropped out of the project [for a better job opportunity -- no complaints about him!] and FanPro simply never had time to finish the project, as it was during the SR4 time crunch and the freelance developer was hired to keep the project on track while Rob concentrated on SR4.

Now Catalyst is "stuck" with the task of finishing it, several years after it was relevant to the timeline, with several years more expectations built up, with more expenses than intended, with the authors annoyed that their work hasn't been published and they haven't been paid -- and as you may have noticed, HoloStreets isn't exactly moving fast, either [and that's a whole other kettle of fish.]

The above paragraph is not me complaining about SOLA: I'm just pointing out that the SOLA situation, bluntly, sucks for EVERYONE: Catalyst, the writers, and the fans.
swirler
QUOTE (Adam)
The above paragraph is not me complaining about SOLA: I'm just pointing out that the SOLA situation, bluntly, sucks for EVERYONE: Catalyst, the writers, and the fans.

understood, and agreed
I think I can safely assume that when anyone of us mentions SolA we are most likely just making sure everyone involved knows we are still very interested in it. I know some people get a little overzealous and the sarcasm loads get fired, but ya know how it goes.
Elve
Simple Solution:
* Finish Holostreet
* Finish the Book
* Publish

Wish it were that simple... frown.gif
MaxHunter
Me? Interested Indeed.

Cheers.

Max
ThreeGee
Simple Solution:
* Finish Holostreet
* Finish the Book
* Publish

Better Solution
* Scrap Holostreet
* Rewrite the Book for 4e
* Publish as a full supplement and make some cash
Rotbart van Dainig
Even better:
  • Skip Holostreets for SoLA
  • Finish the book true to SoNA, SoE & SoA style
  • Publish as Softcover & PDF
Fortune
QUOTE (ThreeGee)
* Scrap Holostreet
* Rewrite the Book for 4e
* Publish as a full supplement and make some cash

I'm good with that.
JongWK

Years ago, when IMR agreed to take on SOLA, it was believed that FanPro would be delivering them a product that was at *least* past the editing stage.

It was edited several times. I have the files.

However, the person developing SOLA dropped out of the project [for a better job opportunity -- no complaints about him!]

He bailed out without telling the freelancers that were working for him, and didn't even answer the emails we sent him. Do you want me to go on?
ThreeGee
The lack of SoLA annoys me, South America is arguably one of the most important parts of the Awakened World because it's the continent that has been most altered by the arrival of magic. Here we are nearly 20 years after SR was first published and we still know next to nothing about it.

Please someone get on this. Please.
Eugene
I agree with Rotbart and ThreeGee. At this point, why -not- update it to 4e, especially if (as Adam points out) there's still a fair amount of work to be done on it before it can come out?
Sticks
Going from the posts on the Ghost Cartels, along with new mentions of them in Corporate Enclaves and Arsenal. Is there any chance that updates on Latin and South America could be included in any books dealing with them ?. At the end of the day the whole southern hemisphere barring Oz and a few specific locations is one huge frgging manahaze wobble.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Eugene @ Feb 2 2008, 11:28 PM) *
At this point, why -not- update it to 4e, especially if (as Adam points out) there's still a fair amount of work to be done on it before it can come out?

Because that would be even more work?

And updates will be integrated into the SR4 City books anyway...
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Sticks @ Feb 2 2008, 06:41 PM) *
Going from the posts on the Ghost Cartels, along with new mentions of them in Corporate Enclaves and Arsenal. Is there any chance that updates on Latin and South America could be included in any books dealing with them ?. At the end of the day the whole southern hemisphere barring Oz and a few specific locations is one huge frgging manahaze wobble.gif

Ghost Cartels will have some information, yes. Not as comprehensive as SoLA, though, since it'll only cover parts of South America featured in the plot.

As far as updating SoLA to SR4, the idea was tossed about once upon a time, but some of the freelancers who worked on SoLA are no longer available, which would mean re-assigning their material. And there wasn't any drive from the publishers to do that, since it's a book format not used in SR4.
JongWK
FWIW, I keep contact with the LatAm freelancers regularly.
MaxHunter
That's it my friend! Keep up the positive attitude and maybe that download could escape the terrible Mayan Curse.

BTW. I still haven't played SR in a long time...I GM not so regularly either, and I have Doritos in my house, any thoughts?

Cheers!

M
DocTaotsu
My heart does cry out for SOLA, I've been sending my players down to the Yucatan and pretty much just drawing lines in the sand and saying "I'm pretty sure this accurately represents... something."

Can anyone tell me if Chichen itza is in Yucatan sepratist (do they have a real name?) hands? It seems pretty squarely in their neck of the woods.
Ryu
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 3 2008, 03:55 PM) *
My heart does cry out for SOLA, I've been sending my players down to the Yucatan and pretty much just drawing lines in the sand and saying "I'm pretty sure this accurately represents... something."

Can anyone tell me if Chichen itza is in Yucatan sepratist (do they have a real name?) hands? It seems pretty squarely in their neck of the woods.

The Yucatan seems to be back in Aztlan hands.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jan 30 2008, 06:09 AM) *
I so wish you're right.

Hay, it was written by someone working for a Corp, of course it's evil.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 3 2008, 11:59 AM) *
The Yucatan seems to be back in Aztlan hands.

Correct, the Yucatan is no longer in the rebels' hands and is now a semi-autonomous state officially under the control of Aztlan but headed up by Pobre as its regional governor. It's now part of Aztlan, for all intents and purposes. Which a few people aren't terribly happy about.
DocTaotsu
Ah, I assume the details of that are in Corporate Enclaves? Can i get a ballpark date as to when that happens?
Grinder
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Feb 3 2008, 07:35 PM) *
Hay, it was written by someone working for a Corp, of course it's evil.

Na, that doesn't convince me. wink.gif
Snow_Fox
The idea in the yucatan is that AZT lost but gets to say 'we won' and can stop pumping money and bad PR into the mess.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 3 2008, 04:28 PM) *
Ah, I assume the details of that are in Corporate Enclaves? Can i get a ballpark date as to when that happens?

The details are in Shadows of Latin America (*insert quiet weeping here*), but I believe they were mentioned in the SR4 core rulebook's history section. The end of the Yucatan Rebellion happened in 2064.
apollo124
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 3 2008, 04:28 PM) *

Don't ask Bull for a ballpark date. Last time I did he said "Sometime in the 21st century". Big ass ballpark rotfl.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
Well, he's not wrong is he.
apollo124
Don't know yet. SoLA isn't out yet, nor is it the end of the 21st century. I don't know if I can afford to wait 92 years to find out though. wink.gif
MITJA3000+
I don't think it's that a big of an issue that it's a few years outdated, in Shadowrun time I mean. They could just publish it as an old Shadowland post, and maybe even screw art. It has taken so much time, and people have waited so long, that it will be a huge disappointment when they finally admit that they will never release it. HUUUUUUGEEEE disappointment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012