Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updated BBB4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
raverbane
I was considering buying a PDF format of the basic book so I could have it on my thumbdrive for convenience. But, I have seen on the forums that a revised BBB4 PDF is coming out and I want to wait until it comes out so I am not buying two.

When is it coming out?
Thanee
I believe, when you buy the PDF that includes future updates also. But havn't bought any PDFs yet (prefer hardcopy books smile.gif), so can't say if it works that way from experience.

Bye
Thanee
Elve
The last PDF update we received was the 1.3... So the the promised updates are still missing... (or it is just another broken promise...)
Larsine
I bought the PDF when it was first released, and have so far recieved 2 updates. According to Adam we couldn't recieve the last update, as it was planned during the transition from FanPro to Catalyst. Hopefully they are going to work out that problem for the next reprint/update.

Lars
Grinder
Heard it'll be available at holostreets.com on Smarch.
cx2
Yeah there have been updates, but not since they moved to Catalyst. It isn't a broken promise, it is legal issues. It's apparently because Catalyst want to give something to people who bought a product from another company (Fan Pro), even though it's the same product. I know it's screwed up, but this is legality after all.
Elve
I never bought it from FanPro (ok I did indirectly since they produced it...) but I bought it from Battlecorps which is (and was then) the same people as today, and which is the same people as Catalyst Games.... So I think they got my money...

And besides, tehy are still selling the product, and Fanpro won't get any money for it anymore, instead Catalyst will get the money...
Malicant
Legal issues are fun, don't you agree?
cx2
Well I'm not a lawyer, only know what CGL have said. It isn't actually that ridiculous when you consider some legal quirks that exist though, I believe here in Britain there was still a law on the books that on a certain date in a certain manner you could legally kill a Welshman for example.

I know this is a different legality question, but then this company change over thing affecting electronic copies is a new situation. It also isn't like the rights to SR have been bought, they have been licensed. Just very messy stuff. Honestly don't you think if they could sort it out easily they would? What reason have they not to given the possible loss of reputation if they purposely delayed? What have they to gain?
Elve
Warning Speculation:
They haven't got much to gain...
Since they already have my money...
An d to loose? Hmm I'll be much more careful before buying PDFs in th future..

The updates were THE reason for me to buy it...
knasser

I bought mine from DriveThruRPG along with quite a bit of other stuff. Sadly I've had to buy the most recent PDFs from Battlecorps because they were the only ones that were carrying Arsenal and Corporate Enclaves at the time. I guess that's a perk of being the same company as the ones that produce the books. Maybe DriveThru have them now, I haven't looked. But they certainly don't get it as soon as Battlecorps do.
Adam
We will be providing updated version of the PDF to people who bought it from BattleCorps, when the PDF is made available.

We are still working on solutions for people who bought it from other vendors.

There are several things that have been said in this thread that are pure speculation and are not based on fact at all, relating to who is earning money from PDF sales at the moment and that sort of thing. Misinformation spreads more quickly than the truth, so unless you know the legalities behind these situations, I would personally appreciate it if you could refrain from speculation about these business matters. It's sticky and un-fun and the more time we have to spend correcting people about such things, the less time we have to do the million other [more fun and more related to getting books to you!] things we have to do. smile.gif

Also, please understand that we are not required to fulfill any promises that FanPro made. This is one of the cases where we are going to do so, because it's the smart and right thing to do.

Working on the SR4 PDF is one of my goals for the next week or so. I want to try a few new things to make it better as a PDF [more accurate searching being one of the big ones], and it will need to be rebookmarked and whatnot. It's not as simply as hitting "make PDF file" and watching the progress bar. smile.gif

Thanks for your interest, guys -- I have my advance copy of the new SR4 printing sitting here, and I'm really excited about it being available soon.
Elve
normally I don't post much... But I tried to get information without speculations in forums... But no one answered my emails... And after several months I got annoyed... frown.gif

Adam: Thanks for a (finally) clear statement
Adam
Which address[es] were you trying to contact? I've answered a few mails about this subject at the addresses I monitor...
Elve
two mails (I think one to you) were months ago, so I don't really know anymore...

the last one (several days ago) went to contact@catalyst...
raverbane
QUOTE (Adam)
We will be providing updated version of the PDF to people who bought it from BattleCorps, when the PDF is made available.

There are several things that have been said in this thread that are pure speculation and are not based on fact at all, relating to who is earning money from PDF sales at the moment and that sort of thing. Misinformation spreads more quickly than the truth, so unless you know the legalities behind these situations, I would personally appreciate it if you could refrain from speculation about these business matters. It's sticky and un-fun and the more time we have to spend correcting people about such things, the less time we have to do the million other [more fun and more related to getting books to you!] things we have to do. smile.gif

Also, please understand that we are not required to fulfill any promises that FanPro made. This is one of the cases where we are going to do so, because it's the smart and right thing to do.

Working on the SR4 PDF is one of my goals for the next week or so. I want to try a few new things to make it better as a PDF [more accurate searching being one of the big ones], and it will need to be rebookmarked and whatnot. It's not as simply as hitting "make PDF file" and watching the progress bar. smile.gif

Thanks for your interest, guys -- I have my advance copy of the new SR4 printing sitting here, and I'm really excited about it being available soon.

Given this info you have provided, I will slide over to the site and pick up the PDF now, thanks!!
BFaolan
Thanks to Adam for the clearing that up.

(Knowing that the updates will be coming makes me, for one, significantly more likely to pick up a pdf with my hardcover...)
Rotbart van Dainig
Since the answer still eludes me:

Great spirits, why exactly has Betaware become less effective at reducing essence cost? (0,6 to 0,7)
raverbane
QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 30 2008, 10:03 PM) *

I know this thread is very old. But, I am curious if any progress has been made over the past 6 months on a way for those of us that bought the PDF from Battlecorps to get an updated PDF of the BBB4.
deek
Newsgroups. I bought my PDF over 2 years ago and never got an updated version, so I had to resort to other means. I also have the hardcopy and inserted into it is a printed out copy of errata, as I just can't justify spending any more money for corrections.
raverbane
QUOTE (deek @ Aug 8 2008, 03:51 PM) *
Newsgroups. I bought my PDF over 2 years ago and never got an updated version, so I had to resort to other means. I also have the hardcopy and inserted into it is a printed out copy of errata, as I just can't justify spending any more money for corrections.

I agree on not spending money for a corrected copy. Hense the reason I was curious about if any progress had been made.
Dashifen
The above posts could be construed as advocating piracy of some kind which is a violation of the Dumpshock Forums Terms of Service:

QUOTE ("ToS")
5. No posts that contain pirated materials, requests for pirated materials, or advocacy of pirating are permitted.

Just cause you don't provide a link to the rapidshare, torrent, or newsgroup posting where a pirated rulebook can be downloaded doesn't mean you're in the clear. There are publishers out there who provide free, updated copies of the SR rulebooks when they become available (e.g., Battle Corps). Please, support your hobby and get the books from legitimate sources, even the updates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012