Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Way to Get Initiative Passes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
klinktastic
Ok, so assume for a minute that your are playing a mystical adept who will be utilizing melee (bear mentor spirit) as his combat method of choice. In order to get initiative passes, which would be the best way? Only 1 point would be allocated to magic, the others would be for adept powers.

1. put points into spell casting, specialize in health spells, and use a sustaining focus 2 and cast improved reflexes on yourself.

2. Summon spirit of man, have it sustain improved reflexes on you.

Would this drastically change if you had a magic of 2?

Limited Infinity
First off, you would need at least 2 points of magic unless you want to overcast. Second, can you bind a focus higher than your magic rating? I'm not sure. Third, if you're at 2 you can overcast the spell at force 4 and have the cheapest way to get 4 IP's as a starting character, but you would have to sustain the spell yourself or overcast a spirit as well.

I'd personally go with a sustaining focus. The spirit would work, but depending on the DM, there could be negative modifiers for having spirits out (pg. 178, side bar), not to mention leaving them free for other more useful tasks.
klinktastic
Well the interesting thing about mystical adepts is that if my magic is 5, why shouldn't I be able to find up to a force 5 focus. But I see you point, and will continue with casting and sustaining.
Ryu
Yes, definitly go with spellcasting and sustaining. I´d allocate at least 3 magic to magic power, so that overcasting makes most spells useful. As the drain DV does not increase because of overcasting, you´ll usually see no drain anyway. Force 5 can usually be done.
Fortune
QUOTE (klinktastic)
Well the interesting thing about mystical adepts is that if my magic is 5, why shouldn't I be able to find up to a force 5 focus. But I see you point, and will continue with casting and sustaining.

From the SR4 FAQ ...

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ)
Though mystic adepts must split their Magic between Magic-based skills and adept powers, it says that for all other purposes, including the limits of adept powers, the mystic adept uses his full Magic attribute. Does this mean that a mystic adept with Magic 6 who has allocated 2 points to Magic skills and 4 points to adept powers can cast Force 6 spells without flinching?

The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills. This includes: Magic-linked skill tests (Summoning, Spellcasting, Enchanting, etc.), overcasting, and maximum spell Force, for example.

For power points and Magic when used by adept powers, only the points allocated towards adept powers apply. This includes Attribute Boost Tests and the like.

For all other purposes -- i.e., non-Magic-linked skills -- the mystic adept's full Magic attribute is used: pressing through astral barriers, initiation grade limit, Masking metamagic, and so on.

So in the example above, the maximum Force he can cast at is 4, and anything over Force 2 is Physical Drain.

Although Foci are not specifically mentioned in the italicized (my italics) section, I would say they fall under that category, and hence use the Mystic Adept's full Magic rating.
fool
the other option of course is to burn a pint or two of essence and get the bioware. this has the advantaqge of not being abe to be dispelled or interfering with passing through mana barriers. Furthermore, once you've taken the plunge for bioware, you can round out the essnce cost with other very useful items like trauma damper or cyberware that cost's half what the bioware would in terms of essence. The main draw back of course is that you lose magic and the bp's for the Y cna be rather expensive.
Glyph
QUOTE (fool)
the other option of course is to burn a pint or two of essence and get the bioware.  this has the advantaqge of not being abe to be dispelled or interfering with passing through mana barriers.  Furthermore, once you've taken the plunge for bioware, you can round out the essnce cost with other very useful items like trauma damper or cyberware that cost's half what the bioware would in terms of essence.  The main draw back of course is that you lose magic and the bp's for the Y cna be rather expensive.

Synaptic Booster: 2 is a good choice for a combat-oriented adept, costing 1 Essense and giving +2 Reaction and 2 extra IPs.

The trouble with doing it for a mystic adept is that you are already splitting your Magic two ways and buying two sets of skills. Losing one more point of Magic and having to put a hefty amount of your limited BPs towards a pricey piece of bioware is likely to spread the character too thin.

For any character who will be using spellcasting, I would concur with Ryu - 3 Magic points allocated to magery at the minimum. I would only use 1 point for a character with only counterspelling, using it only for spell defense.
Ravor
Yeah, any Awakened character is almost always better off getting their IPs from bioware as opposed to spellcasting.
Demerzel
Bioware is the most expensive BP Solution because it costs a ton, making it potentially the worst if you're looking to buy many other things. It however allows you the greatest room for future growth because you can get for basically one magic point what would otherwise cost you 3, and with the right cash later in the game you can get for that one magic point the equivalent of 5.

However for a starting character out of the gate Synaptic Accelerators can hobble you, especially if you have so many things to spend bp as you do when you're a MA.
Ravor
I'm not looking at it from a min-max perspective, I'm looking at bioware in terms of how easy it would be to manage in the day-to-day grind of a Shadowrunner, spells and spirits are trumped by wards, cyber pings sensors too easily. (I don't consider the Adept power as being viable over bioware since it simply costs too much.)
Glyph
The other advantage of bioware is that you can't lose it because of background count. Still, for a mystic adept, it can be hard to afford. Having 3 IP doesn't do much good if you can't do anything effective with them.
Ryu
Bioware is great, it just was not specified as one of the ways open here. I´m not even sure we are talking chargen, despite it seeming to be implied.

If you go for bioware (I´d support that decision), you should still do additional IP via spell/focus. Reason is that you do not always need that IP. So you need to recast the spell occasionally? No big deal. But the other things you can get for 80k¥ and one point of magic... Drain on Increased Reflexes force 3 is only 3 DV, I hate that spell for how good it is.

Take Muscle Toner +2, Cerebral Booster +2 as base.
Effect: Attributes +4, 0.8 of Bio.

Add either Cybereyes or a Trauma Damper, the more expensive Damper has you end up at exactly one point of essence loss, and costs of 76k¥. I´d prefer the eyes.
Add one point of adept powers and three points of universal magic. All additional magic points (those you buy later) can go to adept powers.
ixombie
I think it's a really bad bad idea to rely on spirits to sustain spells. Two reasons: 1) you have to bind them if you want the spells sustained for any length of time, which is hellishly expensive, and 2) if you use bound spirits to sustain spells, it drains the Force away, and they hate you. You are literally shooting yourself in the foot by using that tactic, because pretty soon spirits will start resisting your pathetic magic 2 conjuring attempts with Edge, and maybe even trying to disobey your orders if they can.

Sustaining foci are never a bad idea, since they let you keep your spell running without maintenance when you need it.

I don't think you should look at bioware as being less efficient though. You know what's less efficient? Being a mystic adept and chucking your power points down the 'gimpy spellcasting' hole. I think you'd be a lot scarier as a pure adept with 1 point of bioware, since there's not much advantage you can eke out from 1-2 magic points of spellcasting. Especially if you're making a melee adept, you can't afford to waste power points.
Ravor
Although you have to remember that by going the spell route even with foci you are glowing like a christmas tree on the Astral, and with ARSE's mana-tech that isn't really a good idea.

Plus remember that you are either going to be recasting the spell or poping wards all over town.
Feshy
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Feb 1 2008, 09:42 AM)
Well the interesting thing about mystical adepts is that if my magic is 5, why shouldn't I be able to find up to a force 5 focus.  But I see you point, and will continue with casting and sustaining.

From the SR4 FAQ ...

QUOTE (SR4 FAQ)
Though mystic adepts must split their Magic between Magic-based skills and adept powers, it says that for all other purposes, including the limits of adept powers, the mystic adept uses his full Magic attribute. Does this mean that a mystic adept with Magic 6 who has allocated 2 points to Magic skills and 4 points to adept powers can cast Force 6 spells without flinching?

The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills. This includes: Magic-linked skill tests (Summoning, Spellcasting, Enchanting, etc.), overcasting, and maximum spell Force, for example.

For power points and Magic when used by adept powers, only the points allocated towards adept powers apply. This includes Attribute Boost Tests and the like.

For all other purposes -- i.e., non-Magic-linked skills -- the mystic adept's full Magic attribute is used: pressing through astral barriers, initiation grade limit, Masking metamagic, and so on.

So in the example above, the maximum Force he can cast at is 4, and anything over Force 2 is Physical Drain.

Although Foci are not specifically mentioned in the italicized (my italics) section, I would say they fall under that category, and hence use the Mystic Adept's full Magic rating.

I'm going to disagree with that assessment. That would give you two separate magic ratings for focii -- one for weapon focii, one for spell related focii. That to me doesn't make much sense.

That said, I haven't been able to find a rule about the maximum force of a foci relative to a character's magic rating. All I've found is a limit on the number of bonded foci (magic rating) and the number of active foci (logic.)

Also, with respect to the above -- according to your suggestion, that would also mean that a magic 5 mystic adept with 2 power points towards magical skills could only bond two spell-related and conjuring related foci, but quite a few weapon foci on top of that. To me it makes more sense to use the full magic rating for all foci-related questions.
Fortune
QUOTE (Feshy @ Feb 2 2008, 02:51 AM)
I'm going to disagree with that assessment.  That would give you two separate magic ratings for focii -- one for weapon focii, one for spell related focii.  That to me doesn't make much sense.

No. I am saying that it would give you one rating, your total Magic Attribute, for Bonding any and all Foci.

Also, with respect to the above -- according to your suggestion, that would also mean that a magic 5 mystic adept with 2 power points towards magical skills could only bond two spell-related and conjuring related foci, but quite a few weapon foci on top of that.  To me it makes more sense to use the full magic rating for all foci-related questions.

That is what I have been saying. You use the full Magic Attribute for any and all Foci. I'm not sure how you read the opposite in what I wrote.

That is, if such a limitation exists.
Limited Infinity
I think it's a really bad bad idea to rely on spirits to sustain spells.  Two reasons: 1) you have to bind them if you want the spells sustained for any length of time, which is hellishly expensive, and 2) if you use bound spirits to sustain spells, it drains the Force away, and they hate you.  You are literally shooting yourself in the foot by using that tactic, because pretty soon spirits will start resisting your pathetic magic 2 conjuring attempts with Edge, and maybe even trying to disobey your orders if they can.

OP's concept of using spirit of man is good one. It wouldn't have to be bound either, as it can have the optional power of innate spell. If you know Increase Reflexes, it could cast and sustain it as an innate power for just one service without being bound. I just like keeping my spirit free for other tasks, like melting faces. biggrin.gif

That is what I have been saying. You use the full Magic Attribute for any and all Foci. I'm not sure how you read the opposite in what I wrote.

That is, if such a limitation exists.

There may not be a limit. I thought there was, but I'm not finding it either. I would probably agree with your idea of the total magic (power + magician) for foci.
fool
actually the total force that you can bind is magic times 5 It's listed, oddly enough, in the char gen part of the bbb. It means all of your magic rating regardless of how that magic rating is split up.
Personally I think using the spirit of man for sustaining focus is fine if you've got lots of cash.
In the case of a MA I'd probably go with the magic rating for spell casting/ conjuring of 2 and dump the other 3 points into adept abilities like killing hands and critical strike etc. and buy a sustaining focus and a power focus. most of the spells that you want to cast are decent enough at force 4 same with the spirits.
Fortune
QUOTE (fool @ Feb 3 2008, 11:09 AM) *
actually the total force that you can bind is magic times 5 It's listed, oddly enough, in the char gen part of the bbb. It means all of your magic rating regardless of how that magic rating is split up.

I think at least one aspect of the question was more focused [biggrin.gif] on whether there was a Force limit on the Bonding of any one single Focus. Could a character with a Magic of 2 Bind a Force 10 Power Focus?
fool
iirc there is no limit on that.
however, there are two very limiting factors costs in nuyen.gif and karma. A force 10 focus would cost outrageous amounts of both.
Ravor
Not to mention being pointless in Fourth Edition. cyber.gif
Fortune
'Twas an example! nyahnyah.gif
Ravor
I know, just feeling ectra snarky today, I blame the forum's new skin and not being sure whether or not to use the Fourth Edition Combat Mage as an avatar. cyber.gif
Fortune
My avatar is growing on me. biggrin.gif
Dashifen
Depending on the character, pop psyche and reduce the sustained spell modifier to -1 and you're not as bad off sustaining the spell yourself. A health focused Bear shaman may not want to go the route of drugs, though.
Whipstitch
Yeah, I like your avatar Fortune. I just went with the occult investigator 'cuz I nearly always play mages (but never combat mages). I might poke around for something else later, but it's growing on me a bit.
Fortune
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Feb 3 2008, 01:57 PM) *
I might poke around for something else later ...

I spent an hour (off and on) going through all the avatars. I think the-dunner has done a pretty decent job. There are quite a few good pics in there, especially in the CCG section.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012