Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle Design In Sr4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowDragon8685
Okay, my problem is that I'd like to try and make stats for some real-life cars in SR4. Frankly, they can't all have gone the way of the dodo; things last, especially in sealed environments where they're forgotten about.

The problem is the only vehicle design rules I know of exist for SR3. Are there any construction rules for SR4, or failing that, a good conversion chart for converting SR3 to SR4?
Fortune
Why can't you just take the basic standard Shadowrun car (Mercury Comet/Ford Americar), and then add or subtract modifiers to various places by eye? Just wing it ...

... then post the results! wink.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 3 2008, 06:44 PM) *
Why can't you just take the basic standard Shadowrun car (Mercury Comet/Ford Americar), and then add or subtract modifiers to various places by eye? Just wing it ...

... then post the results! wink.gif

Alright.
Fortune
That was too easy! eek.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 3 2008, 08:14 PM) *
That was too easy! eek.gif

Yes.... He must be up to something smile.gif
Lionhearted
That was too easy!

Yes.... He must be up to something

Got a fallout shelter?
hobgoblin
nope, a troll with a bat, home made missile defense wink.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Alright, here we go, three cars I statted up.

Two of them, the Merkur XR4Ti and the Monster XR, appear in a webcomic I absoloutely love, Misfile.

The Carrera GT is a diecast toy car I picked up at three dollars intending to give to my cousin's three-year-old, but coulden't bear to part with. So now it adorns my desk and I make engine noises while fishtailing it.

Merkur XR4Ti
CODE
Handling    Accel    Speed    Pilot    Body    Armor    Sensor    Avail    Cost
+2              30/70      170           -    10             -           -    6    14,000

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...erkur_XR4Ti.jpg

The Merkur XR4Ti was produced between the years 1986 and 1989. Merkur is a rebranding of the Sierra Cosworth, which itself is a Ford subsidiary that was active in Europe; the Merkur XR4Ti is essentially an Americanized version of the Sierra Cosworth line. The XR4tI was essentially cheap speed; although the body looked like a sedate wageslave tooler-around, the unique double-tier spoiler on the back hints at the fact the Merkur has deceptive power under the hood.

Light and fast with sharp cornering, the XR4Ti is equipped with a 2.3 liter, in-line fuel injected 4-cylinder with a powerful Turbocharger, standard, and comes equipped with a 5-speed racing transmission which allows a skilled driver to rapidly accelerate and out-turn heavier but more engined cars, such as a contemporary Jaguar XKR, and even to out-accelerate a modern heavy machine such as the Eurocar Westwind.

The Merkur XR4Ti is not exactly built for luxury. The seats are bucket, and there are two, with space for two additional passengers to sit in the back, but they have to climb over the forward-folding front seats to get in, and they had better be skinny. It comes standard with climate control, AM/FM radio and audio cassette player.

Merkur Monster XR
CODE
+3              30/60         220    -    10    -           -    6    44,000

http://www.misfile.com/images/cars/Monster_XR.jpg

An extremely custom modification to the Merkur XR4Ti, the Monster XR combines the body of the American Merkur XR4Ti with the spoiler and four-wheel-drive system of the Sierra Cosworth Rally Racer, and the crown jewel – a Ford 5.0 Liter V8 engine. Although sacrificing the turbocharger, the humble XR4Ti is now a mountain/street racing sleeper monster with a proper muscle car engine, capable of outperforming even a Eurocar Westwind 3,000. It still doesn't have rigger adaptations or a turbocharger – there is room to improve this car yet, which just goes to prove that newer isn't always better.

Porsche Carrera GT
CODE
+3               30/80    275    -    10    -           -    GL!    HAH!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...heCarreraGT.jpg

The Porsche Carrera GT is a true Supercar, produced in very limited numbers (1,270!) between 2004 and 2006, before it was dropped by Porsche in favor of the 911 (997) Turbo. This car is everything the Eurocar Westwind wishes it could be – it has a leviathan 5.7 liter V10 engine situated behind the driver and the passenger, pushing out over six hundred horses. In it's day it was the height of luxury – the inside is magnificently-appointed, with top-of-the-line (for it's day) sound systems, climate control, luxury seats, the full works. Equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, the Carrera GT is the kind of car that you find in a Wizworm's lair or in the collection of a true collector. It sold for half a million dollars in it's day – in this day and age, the cost and availability of this vehicle are better measured in “who can you kill to take it from�. It will easily outperform almost everything on the road in 2070, and if you can hit the open highway, nothing short of a T-Bird is going to catch this car.
Lionhearted
Defence for whom? the troll is the only thing with enough body to survive the impact nyahnyah.gif
Oh please post pics of the car..
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 3 2008, 08:01 PM) *
Defence for whom? the troll is the only thing with enough body to survive the impact nyahnyah.gif
Oh please post pics of the car..

Ask, and ye shall recieve! (Car post edited with links to images)
Kyoto Kid
...I just find it too arbitrary to just throw out a biunch of numbers without some kind of a basic chassis/powerplant framework. I look at all the vehicles I did for 3rd ed and just shake my head in frustration at even trying to convert them to 4th. wobble.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 3 2008, 08:25 PM) *
...I just find it too arbitrary to just throw out a biunch of numbers without some kind of a basic chassis/powerplant framework. I look at all the vehicles I did for 3rd ed and just shake my head in frustration at even trying to convert them to 4th. wobble.gif

Good thing I based my top speed numbers on actual top speed calculations from the cars' stated top speeds (or in the case of the Monster, I guessed based on the top speed of the Mustang) and my acceleration numbers based on the 0-60 times, which were easy enough to convert to 3-second combat rounds.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 4 2008, 02:25 AM) *

i wonder how anyone could use those rules in SR3 without going overboard, or comparing them to premade vehicles and just shake their heads as things would simply not match up.

i ones tried to redo the aircraft carrier, and could never make head or tail of the storage space. either i ran out, or the existing one simply shifted space between cargo and people as needed...
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 3 2008, 08:43 PM) *
i wonder how anyone could use those rules in SR3 without going overboard, or comparing them to premade vehicles and just shake their heads as things would simply not match up.

i ones tried to redo the aircraft carrier, and could never make head or tail of the storage space. either i ran out, or the existing one simply shifted space between cargo and people as needed...

I think it's because they never actually used their own vehicle design rules, but instead tended to just 'wing it'.

The problem is that they never make hard and fast vehicle design rules from the beginning of the game product and use their own rules when they make vehicles, but wing it for awhile, and then make vehicle design rules that of course aren't going to perfectly fit the vehicles they already statted out.
hobgoblin
and with no design rules now, one can wing it as well wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 3 2008, 05:43 PM) *

...interesting, I had little issue using the design rules. I have much more of one having to "wing it" as seems to be the case now.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 3 2008, 09:07 PM) *
and with no design rules now, one can wing it as well wink.gif

When you say wing it, I'd just think of a Flying De lorean with a thermonuclear reactor under the hood..
Hey! Can i have one of those? biggrin.gif
(Nah seriously, winging?)
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 4 2008, 03:13 AM) *
...interesting, I had little issue using the design rules. I have much more of one having to "wing it" as seems to be the case now.

hey, as stand alone rules they worked out ok. but when the price and/or performance of a freshly designed vehicle cant match up to those in the game already the rules just dont make sense in the larger scheme of things.
ShadowDragon8685
I don't really object to winged vehicles, the problem is getting a DM to agree to use them.
kzt
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 3 2008, 06:43 PM) *

Or a jet. Try to make one that won't run out of fuel half way across the pacific.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 4 2008, 10:43 AM) *

there were moda and stats for chifting space b etween people spacer and cargo space
hobgoblin
err, sorry?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012