Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Me Flesh Out My Cyborg
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jtuxyan
So! I just joined a SR4 game where we play a team of advanced runners. 450BP to start, and slightly higher Availability for starting equipment. These are (essentially) the GM suggested guidelines if your letting one person play a cyborg, so I decided to ask the GM if I could. She took it to the other players, and the answer was yes, so I went ahead and rolled him up. Statwise he's nothing unexpected, but I need some help fleshing him out in the RP details, and I was hoping the forum could help.

He's a Clonal Brain with high Willpower and regular maintenance, so he's yet completely sane other then slight Autophobia. But, as a clonal brain, he has absolutely no experiences about the outside world prior to being stolen by the shadowrunning team he now works for. The players collectively decided (as a justification for him being around) that they originaly planned to sell him (he is an extremely valuable piece of equipment), but were persuaded to keep him by a mixture of his usefulness (they have no rigger), and the fact that he's disturbingly likable.

When I was trying to decide his personality, one of the people I was talking too noticed that he was both likeable and autophobic, and made a comparison to a small, adorable child following someone around. Combined with his ignorance, I decided to make him innocent and almost child-like. Combined with a certain curiosity about the outside world ("What does *that* do?"), I think it's a viable character concept.

Unfortunitly, that's all I have so far, and I know little about RP'ing cyborgs. Any help, suggestions, or corrections would be appreciated.
hobgoblin
my suggestion, watch ghost in the shell: stand alone complex, and watch the tachicomas in action.
mfb
yeah, that really sounds exactly like what you're going for.
krakjen
That's definitely matching a Tachikoma personality.
What kind of body are you giving him ?
Jtuxyan
QUOTE (krakjen @ Feb 5 2008, 03:36 PM) *
That's definitely matching a Tachikoma personality.
What kind of body are you giving him ?

Uh...he's the van. But he almost always hot-rigs to one of a number of anthrform drones, so he can go with the party on runs and interact with them and such.
Ryu
So you as the rigger are not driving the getaway-vehicle, you are the getaway vehicle grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
cant say that has changed much vs earlier editions. only thing now is that we have rules for it wink.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Jtuxyan @ Feb 5 2008, 10:43 PM) *
Uh...he's the van. But he almost always hot-rigs to one of a number of anthrform drones, so he can go with the party on runs and interact with them and such.

getting closer to the tachikoma one post at a time eh? *g*
Cthulhudreams
Yeah... the tachikomas are AI's in robot bodies that can carry people in pods mounted on their bodies, who have a childlike personality.

And are also funny.

There are some 'Tachikoma Specials' on youtube.com that will give you some 5 minute samplers of exactly this sort of thing.
krakjen
I recommend a horde of blue-painted upgraded Steel Lynx for better effect.

There is already some kind of resemblance:
Steel Lynx

edit: Looks like inserting image is not working, putting a link instead.
Jtuxyan
QUOTE (krakjen @ Feb 5 2008, 07:02 PM) *
I recommend a horde of blue-painted upgraded Steel Lynx for better effect.

There is already some kind of resemblance:
Steel Lynx

edit: Looks like inserting image is not working, putting a link instead.

Finally! I've been wondering what these look like.

And...lots of blue ones, you say. grinbig.gif

So you as the rigger are not driving the getaway-vehicle, you are the getaway vehicle grinbig.gif

"Hey, you stepped on me!"
"...your the van, I'm a passenger. I can't *not* be stepping on you!"
"...well you could at least say your sorry."
Fortune
QUOTE (krakjen @ Feb 6 2008, 11:02 AM) *
Looks like inserting image is not working, putting a link instead.

The image insertion feature has not been enabled. Linking to an image is easy enough, and the lack of pictures in the threads cuts down on the page load times for those that are concerned about that type of thing (Avatars can be turned off). As a side bonus, it is an extra line of defense against the posting of 'questionable' images.
krakjen
QUOTE (Jtuxyan @ Feb 6 2008, 01:10 AM) *
Finally! I've been wondering what these look like.

And...lots of blue ones, you say. grinbig.gif

It's shown in the Fields of Fire sourcebook.
I made a quick scan so you can also see the size comparison:
Steel Lynx (reloaded)

QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 6 2008, 01:15 AM) *
The image insertion feature has not been enabled. Linking to an image is easy enough, and the lack of pictures in the threads cuts down on the page load times for those that are concerned about that type of thing (Avatars can be turned off). As a side bonus, it is an extra line of defense against the posting of 'questionable' images.

I approve of any choice taken to keep the boards clean.
Too much blinking-animated-sanity-impairing-eyes-bleeding-horrors out there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012