Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glitch Challenge II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aaron
I liked the first one so much, I'm doing another one.

Assume that you are GMing a game. One of your players is running through an Aztlan village, being sought by a group of flesh-form insect spirits. He or she glitches on an Intuition + Lanuage roll while attempting to ask a local where a bit of pesticide might be found, and does not meet the threshold for the test. The result of the glitch is your call: what is it?

Again, I can't think of anything to offer as a prize that anybody would want, so this is a challenge. Come up with your best and and post it. Alternatively (or additionally), if you see one you like, don't skimp on the praise.
Ravor
Hmm, personally I think I'd treat that as a Critical Glitch (Yeah, I know that by the letter of the rules it isn't, but I think it is perfectly in step with the spirit of the rules.), so in keeping with the K.I.S.S. ideal he either told the local that his mother fucked donkeys or the local is actually the Insect Shaman, or both. cyber.gif
JavaLamp
My first instinct would have a comic substitution for 'pesticide' but I don't personally know Spanish, so it's time to make something up.

I'd have the local direct him to the compost heap. I'd leave it up to him to get past the heap with fleshforms behind and fences or buildings on both sides.
Sponge
The local thinks he's asking for "insect attractant" instead, and gives some to him nyahnyah.gif

MaxHunter
I am assuming the player did have some success, so he get his point through. However, he glitches, so...

a. she is taking too much time to get herself understood. Lose some time and announce the spirits are looming closer.

b.the native understands what she wants, but is rather aroused by the implications of what he got as "I would do anything for some pesticide now" He points the shadowrunner to his hut.

c. the runner demmands some pesticide in a rather authoritarian and rude tone. The native understands, but is now angry. Conversation must go on to appease the native and get the info.

d. The indian answers what the runner wants, but there she understands it partially. Later on she would hesitate if the pesticides were on a warehouse past the infirmary to the right of the pig farm or to the left The path goes both ways, of course.

Cheers,

Max

edit: Oh, now I see the "does not meet the threshold of the test part" Whatever.
Feshy
Pesticide, "Insect Hive" -- same number of syllables and almost rhymes. Easy for someone hard of hearing to misinterpret, if he was hoping they'd pick it up from context clues in the rest of his sentence (as he probably doesn't know the Spanish word for pesticide) and if the native happened to know a bit of pidgin English. Sure, the native will hem and haw about taking him there, but if your character is insistent enough about it (and seems a bit crazed, as would anyone being chased by flesh form spirits), the native might at least point him in the "right" direction...
hyzmarca
The villager understands perfectly and directs them to a local chemical store. When the villager speaks have the player roll a second language test. Write down the results and make a face like you've just seen a guy get hit in the nads with a baseball bat. The results, of course, mean nothing. The player, of course, knows he glitched and assumes that his character can't understand the language well enough to notice the effects of the glich and remains paranoid throughout the entire session waiting for the glich to bite him in the butt.
Aaron
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 6 2008, 12:53 PM) *
The villager understands perfectly and directs them to a local chemical store. When the villager speaks have the player roll a second language. Write down the results and make a face like you've just seen a guy get hit in the nads with a baseball bat. The results, of course, mean nothing. The player, of course, knows he glitched and assumes that his character can't understand the language well enough to notice the effects of the glich and remains paranoid throughout the entire session waiting for the glich to bite him in the butt.

Nice.
masterofm
I pretty much all glitches are scalable dependent on the threshold and how badly they glitched by. Was it just half of the dice ones he/she rolled or was it about 3/4ths. If the threshold was three and they only got one hit while rolling a ton of ones the character pretty much had a critical glitch, but it they just glitched and only rolled one hit they probably said a social taboo and will not receive help from the villager or anyone around who herd him talk to that villager.

Now if they critical glitched their intuition tells them they should run up to the villager and smack them hard across the face numerous times before asking them the question (in the SR's panic to get the pesticides.) I think a glitch w/o meeting the threshold gets them no directions at all, and maybe saying something insulting or giberish as the Shadowrunner is talking to the villager and glitches (as the character not trying to understand what the villager is saying and opens the conversation with a glitch.) It's all up to interpretation, but if they didn't meet the threshold it should be something worse then the character gets stalled for time with the villager.

Maybe something like "Chiqua yo tengo un grande gato en mis pantalones! Chingar! Chingar!" and maybe grabbed a hold of the woman tightly on the shoulder. biggrin.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (MaxHunter @ Feb 6 2008, 12:47 PM) *
edit: Oh, now I see the "does not meet the threshold of the test part" Whatever.

Yep. Assuming I don't get bored with this challenge, there will eventually be critical glitches. Muhuhuhahahahaha.
djinni
GM: as you slide on your stomach toward the insect hive opening and pull the pin on your grenade you notice several <holding up three fingers> antennae swing instantly in your direction as the subtle click of the grenade activating draws their attention. you adeptly drop the grenade down the hole and book it like a greased pig at a rodeo.
Player: I subvocalize "oh crap they saw me!" to the team.
GM: well you are doing alright for now, they haven't come out of the hole when you checked over your shoulder as you ran, but the shockwave of your explosive pack makes you trip and as you roll to your feet and keep running you notice those same fleshforms dusting themselves off as bits and parts of their comrades rain a song of vengenace and fury...a song that tolls for you!
Player: <hands note to GM>
GM: party rigger you get a pop up stating "incoming 7gp transmission" from stealthy guy.
Rigger: accept
GM: you receive another popup as you accept "deleting expletives...7 minutes remaining"
Player: I'm heading straight for the village I passed by tracking them to their hive. darn you and your parental controls rigger!
GM: there seems to be a celebration going on outside they have one of the tribal warriors hoisted up and there is alot of cheering.
Player: I run up to the chieftan of the village slotting my spanish linguachip. and say "hey chief get all the women and children to the tents bad enemy is coming! I need some pesticide." <rolls dice>
GM: oh my look at those ones. well as you have an open comm the rest of the group hears "oi el stupido grande exijo a sus mujeres y ninos en aquella tienda de campana, queremos molester dano a ellos!" The chief look sat you for a moment but as he sees the insect spirits hot on your trail a snarl covers his lips.
translation for the non spanish speaking of the group...
"hey you <expletive deleted> I demand your women and children in that tent, my friends and I want to molest them"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012