Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Q: Hydraulic Jacks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
i101
I wonder if hydraulic jacks can be used only with full cyberlegs, or also with lower legs?
Moon-Hawk
The capacity is sufficient, so I'd probably allow it. If you wanted you could limit the rating.
i101
Thats the point, from the capacity they would fit into lower legs ... Question is if this nice piece of cyberlimb accessories is designed only for full legs.
Ryu
1. There is no rule against it, so you can do it.

2. You would want the hydraulics in the lower leg anyway, because the upper leg tends to be close to 90 degrees to the direction of force soon while taking impact from the ground. The lower leg tends to point into the ground.
fool
actually, from an anatomical point of view, the thigh (that's the anatomical term for the "upper leg" while leg refers specifically to "lower leg") is very much involved in both jumping (one of the major uses for hjacks) and landing. you don't want to land with your legs at exactly 180, or you will absolutely crush your meniscus and probably pretty much destroy your knees. That being said, I think that the jacks, to be useful, would have to be placed in the leg replacing the tibia and fibula.
my question is what happens if you have them in only one leg or if you have them in both legs. For instance if you have rating 6 in each leg does that give you 12 bonus dice.
Stahlseele
i'd say that hydraulic jacks means plural as in one installed per leg when getting the ware at all O.o
i101
@fool: The system works only if installed into two legs.

QUOTE ( Moon-Hawk)
The capacity is sufficient, so I'd probably allow it.

QUOTE (Ryu)
1. There is no rule against it, so you can do it.
Thanks for the quick answers.
Eurotroll
QUOTE (fool @ Feb 6 2008, 11:14 PM) *
my question is what happens if you have them in only one leg or if you have them in both legs. For instance if you have rating 6 in each leg does that give you 12 bonus dice.

What happens when you install Hydraulic Jacks in one leg only?

Cartwheels. That's what happens.
hobgoblin
or one can get military armor with the addon wink.gif

hmm, i wonder if they stack nyahnyah.gif
Rasumichin
actually, from an anatomical point of view, the thigh (that's the anatomical term for the "upper leg" while leg refers specifically to "lower leg") is very much involved in both jumping (one of the major uses for hjacks) and landing. you don't want to land with your legs at exactly 180, or you will absolutely crush your meniscus and probably pretty much destroy your knees. That being said, I think that the jacks, to be useful, would have to be placed in the leg replacing the tibia and fibula.

Shadowtech stated that the joint adjacent to the cyberlimb is replaced, too.
To provide sufficient anchoring or somesuch stuff.
So, in partial cyberlegs, the knees would be cyber, too.

Don't know if this is still the case, though, since i don't recall this fact being mentioned in later editions, but it would make sense.
Ryu

Thanks for the correction, anatomy is mostly an area where english being my second language shows. What I was saying about hydraulic jacks in the thigh is that they would do nothing because the force would not go in the direction of the hydraulic jack. I know that the thighs play a large role in leg power.
djinni
QUOTE (fool @ Feb 6 2008, 06:14 PM) *

thigh refers to the muscle of the upper leg, and "lower leg" refers to anything below the hinge joint. supporting the creature.

the cyber in question is purchased as a pair just like cybereyes.
Herald of Verjigorm
In Shadowtech, the art shows the hydraulic jacks as a mechanism entirely below the knee. (It's not a great picture, but it does show the jack going from the foot to a little below the knee)
Nightwalker450
Don't have my book handy if it actually says. But since they go in both legs, is the capacity split between the legs, or is the capacity out of both legs?
djinni
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Feb 7 2008, 11:41 AM) *
Don't have my book handy if it actually says. But since they go in both legs, is the capacity split between the legs, or is the capacity out of both legs?

it states:
you must have 2 cyberlegs and that the capacity for each jack is reduced from each leg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012