Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Sharper Edge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
arathian
On p 67 of the BBB under Spending Edge, one of the options is:

"You may re-roll all of the dice on a single test that did not score a hit."

But English is treacherous, so there are two ways this might be interpreted:

1. You spend a point of Edge and re-roll the dice that did not score a hit on the first roll.

2. You can only spend a point of Edge if you got no hits on the first roll, and then you re-roll all of your dice again.

So, which is right?
jago668
The first one. You roll 8 die, get 2 hits, leaving 6 failures. So you spend a point of edge and re-roll the 6 failures.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (jago668 @ Feb 7 2008, 11:55 PM) *
The first one. You roll 8 die, get 2 hits, leaving 6 failures. So you spend a point of edge and re-roll the 6 failures.

That's what the writer meant. That isn't what the entry says. That did not score a hit, placed directly after test clearly modifies test.

Would it have been so difficult to write On a single test, you may reroll all dice that did not score a hit. ?
I don't know, maybe that extra comma would have put the formatting in a world of hurt.
Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 8 2008, 04:10 PM) *
That isn't what the entry says. That did not score a hit, placed directly after test clearly modifies test.

The word 'all' would be superfluous in that case. I don't really have a problem understanding the meaning, because if it was meant to be the other way, the it would have just said 're-roll any failed test'.
arathian
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 8 2008, 01:14 AM) *
The word 'all' would be superfluous in that case. I don't really have a problem understanding the meaning, because if it was meant to be the other way, the it would have just said 're-roll any failed test'.

It is possible to score hits and still fail a test if you do not meet or exceed the threshold.
Fortune
QUOTE (arathian @ Feb 8 2008, 04:20 PM) *
It is possible to score hits and still fail a test if you do not meet or exceed the threshold.

Yes I know. I had originally written something else, and edited it in a braindead moment.

You can play it how you want, but so far everyone that has responded to your question is in agreement as to the intent of the text.
nathanross
I personally dont understand the difference in the two examples so Ill just give a few examples:

Case #1: You have a threshold 1 test, You roll 6 die and get 0 successes. You can at this point spend a point of edge to haul your sorry ass out of trouble or save it for something else. If you opt to spend a point of edge you will reroll all 6 die. Hopefully you will get a success this time as you can only spend edge once per dice pool.

Case #2: You have a threshold 4 test, You roll 6 die and get 2 successes. You can spend a point of edge and reroll all of the dice that did not result in successes. Thus, you will reroll 4 dice. Hopefully you get those last successes.

Case #3: You have an open test (like infiltration right?), you have no set threshold, but want as MANY successes as possible. You roll 9 dice like a pimp and get 4 successes. Now thats pretty damn good, but youre not satisfied, so you spend a point of edge (cause you have plenty to spare right?) and reroll those 5 dice that cheated you out of a perfect infiltration.

Does that clarify it for you? I dont really see any other cases that could possibly happen. Either you Succeed, you Fail with no successes, you Fail with some successes but not enough to succeed at the test, or you have no threshold and just want better results. Either way, spend edge, reroll unsuccessful dice.
Slymoon
QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 8 2008, 01:02 AM) *
I personally dont understand the difference in the two examples so Ill just give a few examples:

Case #1: You have a threshold 1 test, You roll 6 die and get 0 successes. You can at this point spend a point of edge to haul your sorry ass out of trouble or save it for something else. If you opt to spend a point of edge you will reroll all 6 die. Hopefully you will get a success this time as you can only spend edge once per dice pool.

Case #2: You have a threshold 4 test, You roll 6 die and get 2 successes. You can spend a point of edge and reroll all of the dice that did not result in successes. Thus, you will reroll 4 dice. Hopefully you get those last successes.

Case #3: You have an open test (like infiltration right?), you have no set threshold, but want as MANY successes as possible. You roll 9 dice like a pimp and get 4 successes. Now thats pretty damn good, but youre not satisfied, so you spend a point of edge (cause you have plenty to spare right?) and reroll those 5 dice that cheated you out of a perfect infiltration.

Does that clarify it for you? I dont really see any other cases that could possibly happen. Either you Succeed, you Fail with no successes, you Fail with some successes but not enough to succeed at the test, or you have no threshold and just want better results. Either way, spend edge, reroll unsuccessful dice.

Or you spend an edge prior to example #3 above thereby making all the die, Infiltration + Edge die open ended. or exploding or whatever it is called these days.

Right?
Seems like on a test you deem critical you would want to do that in the beginning anyway.
jago668
QUOTE (Slymoon @ Feb 8 2008, 01:36 PM) *
Or you spend an edge prior to example #3 above thereby making all the die, Infiltration + Edge die open ended. or exploding or whatever it is called these days.

Right?
Seems like on a test you deem critical you would want to do that in the beginning anyway.

Aye, if the test is really that important seems that spending the edge, and rolling Attribute + Skill + Edge and getting the rule of 6 on all your dice would be the way to go. Since you have a 50% chance that any hit is going to allow a reroll for another hit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012