Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A couple quetions.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MaxMahem
A couple questions came up last game session, and I thought I would through them at you guys. Since we record our sessions, you can listen in to the actual play by play if you like.

This starts at about 1:13:30. Poon is a rigger piloting (jumped into) a van equipped with several weapon mounts. He wants to fire more then one of them at a target at one time. Can he do this? I ultimately decided that he could if he wanted to, but would have to split his pool. I was unsure what (if any) modifiers to apply, and if the smartlink should apply to all or some of them. Also, could the van's pilot program do this?

Deciding against that, Poon decides to order his van to fire the weapon (a simple action) so he can focus on piloting it. Can the vehicles pilot then make a complex action to fire the weapons? Even if he is still 'jumped' into it? I allowed this, though in retrospect he can probably fire the weapon and move the van.

Later on (1:36:30), our teams Merc, Wolf, decides to fire a grenade at a perusing City-master, since otherwise his Ares Alpha stands little chance of damaging the vehicle. Of course the grenade doesn't stand much of a chance either, so he asks for a called shot to the turret. I allow it at a -10 modifier for -10 to armor (standard called shot rules, sorta). What do you think of this ruling? I figure if IRL a grenade might have a fair (not good) chance of damaging a lightly armored APCs turret, it should in Shadowrun.

With some edge, Wolf makes it. I decied to apply the damage directly to the turret (since that what he was shooting) which I decided had half the body and armor of the city master. I then applied the damage to its condition track. Fair? Should I have applied it to the vehicle (which might have soaked the whole thing though).

Fortune
QUOTE (MaxMahem @ Feb 8 2008, 04:14 PM) *
He wants to fire more then one of them at a target at one time. Can he do this?

I don't believe so, but I'm not the best at rigging stuff. (I am only answering for completeness)

Can the vehicles pilot then make a complex action to fire the weapons? Even if he is still 'jumped' into it?

I don't see why not, but again see answer #1.

... so he asks for a called shot to the turret. I allow it at a -10 modifier for -10 to armor (standard called shot rules, sorta). What do you think of this ruling?

I have no problem with this ruling, and as far as I am concerned is in accordance with canon.

I decied to apply the damage directly to the turret (since that what he was shooting) which I decided had half the body and armor of the city master. I then applied the damage to its condition track. Fair? Should I have applied it to the vehicle (which might have soaked the whole thing though).

If you decided that the turret was worth 'half the body' of the Citymaster, did you then subsequently halve the damage when transposing it onto the vehicle's Condition Monitor? If not, then that would probably be the only thing I would change, if I had gone this route. Overall, though, seems fair enough to me, especially for a ruling on the fly.
MaxMahem
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 8 2008, 12:22 AM) *
If you decided that the turret was worth 'half the body' of the Citymaster, did you then subsequently halve the damage when transposing it onto the vehicle's Condition Monitor? If not, then that would probably be the only thing I would change, if I had gone this route. Overall, though, seems fair enough to me, especially for a ruling on the fly.

I didn't apply it to the vehicles condition monitor, I applied it to the turrets 'condition monitor' which I based on its reduced body. Totally not cannon I guess but it worked for something on the fly. I was envisioning a fairly large turret here, so I supposed it was signifigant enough to have its own monitor if necessary.

Side, but very common question I bet. Called shot penalty for shooting a tires? This comes up all the time. Applying the vehicles fully armor rating seems a bit mean.
BishopMcQ
I generally rule called shot penalties against tires as a -4 or half the armor of the vehicle whichever is higher. This is because I presume that vehicular armor would protect the tires of a vehicle to avoid it being trapped. A single blown out tire will apply a -2 DP to handling tests. These penalties stack, so that when a vehicle has all 4 tires blown out, they are at -8 to handling tests in addition to other penalties.

DTFarstar
I apply a -8 from front or rear if I allow it at all, a -4 from the side, and a -6 from any other angles besides directly above.

Chris
MaxMahem
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Feb 8 2008, 01:21 AM) *
I generally rule called shot penalties against tires as a -4 or half the armor of the vehicle whichever is higher. This is because I presume that vehicular armor would protect the tires of a vehicle to avoid it being trapped. A single blown out tire will apply a -2 DP to handling tests. These penalties stack, so that when a vehicle has all 4 tires blown out, they are at -8 to handling tests in addition to other penalties.
This is very good! I like it, I think I will use it. How would you deal with run-flats though? I figure maybe only -1 for them unless the tire is completely and utterly destroyed somehow (though most weapons that could do that are generally powerful enough to damage the vehicle instead). I think I would require an immediate crash test as well if the tire was destroyed.

QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Feb 8 2008, 01:28 AM) *
I apply a -8 from front or rear if I allow it at all, a -4 from the side, and a -6 from any other angles besides directly above.
I like this as well though generally exact vehicle position is abstracted in most situations in my campaigns, especially during chases and the like.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (MaxMahem @ Feb 8 2008, 01:46 AM) *
I didn't apply it to the vehicles condition monitor, I applied it to the turrets 'condition monitor' which I based on its reduced body. Totally not cannon I guess but it worked for something on the fly. I was envisioning a fairly large turret here, so I supposed it was signifigant enough to have its own monitor if necessary.

Side, but very common question I bet. Called shot penalty for shooting a tires? This comes up all the time. Applying the vehicles fully armor rating seems a bit mean.

Technically, I think that would fall under using explosives to breach barriers. If you want to call the armor of the turret 1/2 that of the city master feel free, but I'd have them start blowing holes in the city master's turret instead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012