Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favorite Derogatory Term For Metahumanity
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DocTaotsu
It's me again, farming for flavor text.

I've always been a fan of using the term "Smoothie" to refer to humans from a troll/ork perspective.

Although the human runner being called "Pinky" is also a favorite.
Jaid
hmmm... i personally am a fan of 'keebs' (and related terms) for elves =)

mind you, my annoyance with elves in general has reached an all-time high as i got older...
Kanada Ten
gringo, gaijin, gweilo...

keebs, for elves, grew on me.

chichimeca - (Aztec) slang, orks and trolls
mudado - (Amazonian) slang, changelings
arathian
For Dwarves, stuntie and squat.
Riley37
Gesture to go with "pinkie": both hands up, all fingers but pinky curled, pinkies extended a la "the Bird".

Orzet term for non-Orzet-speakers: ujnart (those who do not understand)

Dwarves in my campaign will praise generosity or honesty by saying "That's mighty short of you" (rather than "big of you").

"Trog" can carry a variety of connotations, positive or negative, depending on tone.
Casper
I always liked Halfer for Dwarves
Sir_Psycho
Meatbag. biggrin.gif
knasser
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 12 2008, 04:27 AM) *
Although the human runner being called "Pinky" is also a favorite.

Definitely dislike this one as it seems to equate Elf with Caucasian, unless I'm misunderstanding the origin of the term. Every now and then I see assumptions along the lines of Elf = White, Ork = Black. Dwarves seem to end up as white most of the time as well. (And arabs remain human for want of a being able to equate Tolkien fantasy races with a non-Western culture.)
DocTaotsu
Actually it was referring to our human Caucasian mage. I liked it because it's the reverse "well you all look the same anyways."

But yeah, I'm glad that SR4 chose to have art of non white metahumanity, between asian orks and african elves, it's all money now.
Stahlseele
Breeder for Humans and of Course the Dandelion Eater for Elves
masterofm
Well using pc terms or non-pc terms?

pc terms

Orc/Troll - Differently skinned, tusk having, generally (but not always affiliated with) green skinned person.
Dwarf - Hight enabled people.
Elf - Well defined ear structured attractive individual.
Ghoul - A person with a saliva transmitted infection. Basically an STI

non-pc terms

Orc/Troll - Walrus, overbite, green skin, rock head
Dwarf - Hobbits, pint size, ankle biter (might want to watch out for this one though,) also the other way you can really insult a dwarf is after they talk to you act startled and say "Oh I'm sorry did you say something? I only talk to people my own height." In a really snide way, it's bound to go over well!
Elf - Daisy eater, Long ear, blondie.
Human - Monkey, pinky, ape
Ghoul - Pillow biter, zombie, patches (always liked this one.)
Sir_Psycho
If you're looking for a fight, crash knees first into a dwarf and then shout "Drek! I didn't see you there! Forgive me, you are rather petite, aren't you?". Others for dwarves are garden gnomes, stouts, midis, minis, littl'uns, tykes, bristles, santas little helpers, mini-santas, santas, stockings, goldies, miners, hi-hoes, gimli (most people don't even know it's a reference anymore), gloins, sons of gloin, hairies, soup-strainers, toddlers, waddlers, penguins, crotch inspectors, cuddlies

Off the top of my head for humans there's sapes, apes, homos, norms, vanillas, vanilla beans, beans, plains, smiths, jims, stans (for standards).

For orks there's tuskers, chompers, goblins, kobolds, Neils (guess why?), underbites, cavers, cascaders, government funded, sows, litters. litter, black sheep, black swans, ugly ducklings, ducklings, uglies

Trolls: Antlers, Rhinos, Robustus, Hard-hats, Bruces, Plus Sized, Well hung, Hornies, Crusties, Big'uns, Hulks, Behemoths, and a whole bunch of onomatopeia, proceeded by a conjugative noun or more formal titles such as He Roar, She Crush, Mr. Crunch etc. Mr. Forehead is also good. Ceiling scrapers, Sky scrapers, scrapers, Thickies, Brickies, Brick drekhouses, Andres, Friendly Giants, BFGs, Big Fraggin' Goblins, Thudders, Smashers, Obstacles, Collossi, Shades (when standing near one on a sunny day), trunks, big-boned etc.

Elves? Twigs, Brooms, Sticks, Broomsticks, Pointies, Acute-angled, pretties, waifs, chimneys, pipe-cleaners, glen-dwellers, tree-climbers, daisy chainers, flower-sniffers, picnickers, cloud counters, Leggies, eating disorders, verticals, verts, stretches, prancers, dancers, dandelion eaters, dandies, specials, special people, more equals, home-wreckers, fairies, pixies, butterflies, faberges, fabs, mincers, NAFs (New Age Fairies), frames, outlines... etc.

Well I'm so out of inspiration.
Lionhearted
That makes me oddly inspired to do a afroamerican troll called hightower
knasser
QUOTE (masterofm @ Feb 12 2008, 09:46 AM) *
Well using pc terms or non-pc terms?

pc terms

Orc/Troll - Differently skinned, tusk having, generally (but not always affiliated with) green skinned person.
Dwarf - Hight enabled people.
Elf - Well defined ear structured attractive individual.
Ghoul - A person with a saliva transmitted infection. Basically an STI

non-pc terms

Orc/Troll - Walrus, overbite, green skin, rock head
Dwarf - Hobbits, pint size, ankle biter (might want to watch out for this one though,) also the other way you can really insult a dwarf is after they talk to you act startled and say "Oh I'm sorry did you say something? I only talk to people my own height." In a really snide way, it's bound to go over well!
Elf - Daisy eater, Long ear, blondie.
Human - Monkey, pinky, ape
Ghoul - Pillow biter, zombie, patches (always liked this one.)

Not that you can't have trolls be green if you want, but it's not consistent with cannon. You can have trolls from every ethnic group from Chinese to Mexican and their skin colour remains the same as would other racial features. It seems perfectly natural to me to create an ethnically African troll and I have a Persian elf who is one of my favourite characters.

On a related note, there's nothing to say that Orks need have bad or rough skin. And again, "Pinky" is staggeringly inappropriate for humans from a vast number of ethnic groups.

EDIT: Also, the idea that there needs to be any PC term to describe someone of a particular race other than the name of that race itself, is itself a symptom of racism and thus, imo, inherently un-PC.
DocTaotsu
I think that's the idea knasser. The idea of calling a human a "pinky", especially if they're not, is because you want to piss them off. The same goes for calling a troll or ork a "Greenie" in a world where it's quiet possible that there aren't any green metas. Also I'm pretty sure that everyone realizes that PC terms have never been actually PC by any stretch.

I'm farming for derogatory terms, not wholly appropriate adjectives.

And in that vein. Props to Psycho for pumping out all all those terms. I hope you didn't break your imagination gland.
knasser
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 12 2008, 01:20 PM) *
I think that's the idea knasser. The idea of calling a human a "pinky", especially if they're not, is because you want to piss them off.

Well I'm sure you can piss someone off with almost anything if your tone is antagonistic enough, but it makes no sense to me. I can't see an Ork referring to humans as "Pinkies". Especially if the ork is white. I mean the term "pinky" can't really refer to anything other than skin colour, can it? Skin colour is just not a distinguishing trait amongst metahumans and I can't see it catching on at all as a derogatory term.
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 12 2008, 04:16 AM) *
Definitely dislike this one as it seems to equate Elf with Caucasian, unless I'm misunderstanding the origin of the term. Every now and then I see assumptions along the lines of Elf = White, Ork = Black. Dwarves seem to end up as white most of the time as well. (And arabs remain human for want of a being able to equate Tolkien fantasy races with a non-Western culture.)

I thought Pinkie was a variation on 'pinkskins' meaning how the NAN look at caucasians.

I usually use 'changed ones' for metas.
Insomnia Strikes Again
I've always been partial to referring to dwarves as "tripod".
Dashifen
My favorite derogatory term .... Elf. I hate those guys.
Zhan Shi
"Dandelion eaters" and "daisy chewers" for elves. "Runts" for dwarves.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Zhan Shi @ Feb 12 2008, 10:19 AM) *
"Dandelion eaters" and "daisy chewers" for elves. "Runts" for dwarves.

It's a little less relevant in 4E, but how about "Bowies" for elves?
Kyoto Kid
... ic.gif For elves "Long Eared Galoots" or "Candy Asses".

... ooc.gif For elves I prefer the Brit slang: "Pixie"
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 12 2008, 07:59 AM) *
I mean the term "pinky" can't really refer to anything other than skin colour, can it?

Your penis is the size of his pinky, pinky.
masterofm
@ knasser - He wanted "Derogatory terms for metahumans" and I felt everything I put up there was very derogatory (it was really meant to be a joke more then anything.) I mean classifying ghouls as people with an STI? Please don't take it as anything more then a joke (I guess it was a crappy joke then.)

Also if you are going to have beef with the term pinky or any other race related term then why not throw in sexual preference as well? The term pillow biter is also highly offensive to certain individuals, but used in the context of SR about ghouls it is meant to be a play on words while at the same time being an insult. It's also derogatory and offensive as well. In the words of John Clease "It's not funny unless it offends somebody. Thats why the PC era is awful because we can't equally make fun of anyone anymore." Calling a dwarf a crotch inspector I thought that was pretty funny, but going up to a real person and saying that or thinking that is a terrible thing. If you still feel slighted send me a message and we can talk about it one on one.
Roadspike
Keebs and Halfers all the way. I also like Tusker. It's the simple insults in life that make it possible to go on.
knasser
QUOTE (masterofm @ Feb 12 2008, 04:50 PM) *
@ knasser - He wanted "Derogatory terms for metahumans" and I felt everything I put up there was very derogatory (it was really meant to be a joke more then anything.) I mean classifying ghouls as people with an STI? Please don't take it as anything more then a joke (I guess it was a crappy joke then.)

Also if you are going to have beef with the term pinky or any other race related term then why not throw in sexual preference as well? The term pillow biter is also highly offensive to certain individuals, but used in the context of SR about ghouls it is meant to be a play on words while at the same time being an insult. It's also derogatory and offensive as well. In the words of John Clease "It's not funny unless it offends somebody. Thats why the PC era is awful because we can't equally make fun of anyone anymore." Calling a dwarf a crotch inspector I thought that was pretty funny, but going up to a real person and saying that or thinking that is a terrible thing. If you still feel slighted send me a message and we can talk about it one on one.

No offense was taken personally. I think we have a misunderstanding. I'm not objecting to the ethnic-slurs because of their offensiveness. The OP has after all asked for offensive terms. My point is solely that it makes no sense to me that terms reflecting skin colour would be used to classify entire meta-races. You're not going to have groups of white orks referring to a black elf as "pinky" in a derogatory manner. At least you're really going to have to stretch things to see it happening. As you mentioned, it I was also puzzled why people would refer to ghouls as "pillow-biters" which I thought was an offensive term for homosexual men. I'm not meaning to criticise you - I'm just confused by your suggestions.

If trolls call non-trolls "finger-dicks" then I could see that being a known derogatory term. Likewise, your "crotch inspector" is very good for dwarves, as would be "The Stand Up Blowjob" as a very petite girl I used to know got called. But skin-colour terms don't work. Skin colour (and nationality) transcend all the metatypes and there isn't even any cultural-origin tie (significant or otherwise) that applies to metatypes. That is to say that whilst a lot of hispanics may have spanish as the language of their home, or nearly all arabs having a muslim background (leaving aside the vast range of belief that covers), two orks are no more likely to have anything culturally in common than anybody else. I think derogatory terms really have to be based on the actual traits or perceived traits of the metatypes in question. Basing them on ethnicity just doesn't work.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Roadspike @ Feb 12 2008, 09:16 AM) *
Keebs and Halfers all the way. I also like Tusker. It's the simple insults in life that make it possible to go on.

...I like Tusker too...well the Beer from Kenya that is. grinbig.gif
Black Irish
Buddy of mine has been trying to popularize Mindi (Micro INDIvidual) as a new, PC term for dwarves.
Kanada Ten
I kinda think mudblood would work for children of mixed meta parentage.
knasser
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 12 2008, 06:56 PM) *
I kinda think mudblood would work for children of mixed meta parentage.

In the words of another poster in these forums: "Eewww! You got J K Rowling in my Shadowrun!" frown.gif

-K.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (knasser @ Feb 12 2008, 01:01 PM) *
In the words of another poster in these forums: "Eewww! You got J K Rowling in my Shadowrun!" :(

Half-breed is probably good for all non-humans.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I thought metatypes bred true without a mix like 1/2 ork or 1/2 elf, that if a child had mixed perantage the children were one way or the other.
Fortune
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 13 2008, 08:48 AM) *
I thought metatypes bred true without a mix like 1/2 ork or 1/2 elf, that if a child had mixed perantage the children were one way or the other.

There are no half-breeds.

In the case of 'breeding true', it's generally true, but not always the case. An ork and troll couple could have an elf, dwarf or human baby, but most likely they will have an ork or troll. The human baby will not necessarily goblinize either, although it very well might.
Elve
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 12 2008, 11:54 PM) *
An ork and troll couple could have an elf, dwarf or human baby, but most likely they will have an ork or troll. The human baby will not necessarily goblinize either, although it very well might.

is there a source for that?
Fortune
I'm sure there is, but I can't recall exactly which book off-hand. I'll have a look, but I don't have a lot of my older books any more.
nathanross
The Genetics section in SOTA2063 covered genetics in the Sixth world.

Really makes it hard to be racist when you cant mock their ancestry. frown.gif

EDIT: Did it not cover the metagene in Augmentation?
DocTaotsu
It's also in the 4th ed race blurbs to some extent. It says something to the effect of "Ork genetic traits express 95% of the time during puberty" the implication being that you might get a kid who looks like your average pinky but goblinizes when their voice cracks (and you thought puberty was tough on you!).
Daddy's Little Ninja
That was what I thought. Even though a child MIGHT be of a different race from the parents this is rare and you do not get 'halfs.' What ever the child is, that is the metatype.

(I know we are talking about a game here and insults to be used on fictional races but my daughter is half Japanese half English so I am really, really sensative to 'half breed' comments.)
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 13 2008, 08:47 AM) *
(I know we are talking about a game here and insults to be used on fictional races but my daughter is half Japanese half English so I am really, really sensative to 'half breed' comments.)

In game the line would be: orks are half human, half pig and all ugly. Thus, half-breed is an inversion of the term metahuman...
Ravor
I've always been partial to "Trog".
eidolon
QUOTE (knasser)
My point is solely that it makes no sense to me that terms reflecting skin colour would be used to classify entire meta-races.

It makes "no sense" that we use skin color to craft derogatory names for one another in real life. What makes you think that this would cease to be the case just because now there are other physical differences to use as gross generalizations?

It's not as though humans/metahumans would magically stop being ignorant about one thing just because there were suddenly more things to be ignorant about.
apollo124
I always liked "trog" for trolls and orks, "breeder" for humans, and "pointy-ears" for elves. Never had a dwarf in the parties I've been involved with. But I hate "Keebs" with a cold passion.
Edit: I guess my old school is showing.
eidolon
I must be the only person left in gaming that actually likes elves. biggrin.gif
Pendaric
I have yet to see a good racist slur for elves. Teflon dandylion eaters! Just dosen't have the same punch as halfer, trog and breeder. A good racist slur should be at most two syllables long and openly vulgar.
My group has adopted 'morks' as a racist slur for elves from the Sperethiel 'morkhan', fornicator of swine. Reasoning that the other races would learn the swear words of Sperethiel first.
Redjack
QUOTE (eidolon @ Feb 15 2008, 10:58 AM) *

There may be one or two others lurking around...
knasser
QUOTE (eidolon @ Feb 15 2008, 04:08 PM) *
QUOTE (knasser)
My point is solely that it makes no sense to me that terms reflecting skin colour would be used to classify entire meta-races.
It makes "no sense" that we use skin color to craft derogatory names for one another in real life. What makes you think that this would cease to be the case just because now there are other physical differences to use as gross generalizations?

You're missing my point Eidolon. It is not good that racial slurs are used, but they "make sense" in so far as they are based on widely perceived characteristics. If I get called a "towel head" because I look middle eastern, then however factually innaccurate that is (and I've never been called it anyway), I can at least trace its origin to many muslims wearing kufiya. I've yet to have anyone here explain to me why skin colour should make sense as a derogatory term for any metarace when the metaraces are made up of just the same ethnic groups (in the same proportions) as humanity.

And to be honest, I can only really attribute the existence of real-world or similar to real-world racial terms to describe particular meta-races, as people thinking of those meta-races as representing real-world ethnic groups. E.g. orks = black, elves - white, a perception that I have seen come up from time to time.
Stahlseele
I have yet to see a good racist slur for elves. Teflon dandylion eaters! Just dosen't have the same punch as halfer, trog and breeder. A good racist slur should be at most two syllables long and openly vulgar.
My group has adopted 'morks' as a racist slur for elves from the Sperethiel 'morkhan', fornicator of swine. Reasoning that the other races would learn the swear words of Sperethiel first.

Versoniel Ha! (thanks Uncle ancient! ^^)
call em pixy or fairy, mostly used for "fags" people as far as i understood
The Monk
I've called the elf sammie in my group Spock and cover girl.
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon @ Feb 16 2008, 03:58 AM) *
I must be the only person left in gaming that actually likes elves.

Nope! wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (eidolon @ Feb 15 2008, 08:58 AM) *

QUOTE (Redjack @ Feb 15 2008, 09:23 AM) *
There may be one or two others lurking around...

...I know of at least one more & he's responded on this very thread... grinbig.gif

<edit>
...ohhh and Fortune too....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012