Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomagi metamagic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowcatX
I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place and if I'm not I appologize in advance.

One of my players is wanting to play a character who makes magic items for his team mates (norms). He knows he'll have to work towards it and that's okay with him, so I'm trying to accomodate him. Here's what I've come up with:

Technomagic:

Advanced Metamagic (Requires: Anchoring, Quickening)

Technomagic is the art and science of creating spell casting items that even norms can use. This is a multi step process. To begin with, the technomagi must create a channeling system for the spell type he wants others to be able to use. Each different type of spell (ie. Combat, Illusion, manipulation) requires another channeling system. Each system will have a force rating (no higher than ½ the creator's magic attribute, rounded down) and a spell casting attribute (no higher than 4). After a channeling device is created, the technomagi must create expendable spells for the device. Each expendable spell will have it's own force rating (up to the technomagi's magic attribute). These will both use the “enchanting� skill from Street Magic.

Example: A technomagi wishes to create a Castor Gun (blatantly ripped from Outlaw Star, but I'm okay with that). His magic is 6 so he creates the gun (making the appropriate rolls and spending tons of money) with force 3 and spellcasting 4. It can only fire combat spells, and requires a shell for each casting of a spell. (Ie. If you wish to cast manaball 3 times, you must have 3 manaball spell shells, each shell may have a different force, and the gun mentioned above may only use up to force 6 shells.)

Drain will effect the user of the device. It will be resisted by Body + Willpower (I realize that this is a bit powerful, and definitely favors Trolls, but it seems easier and more logical than keeping track of what tradition made each individual device). If the person using the device is a norm, drain will be based off of force (of the expended spell, not the device), rather than force / 2, else drain will be calculated properly. If the force of the spell being cast exceeds it's user's magic rating (as it always will for a norm) the device will inflict physical drain, otherwise it will be stun drain.

Thoughts and questions:

There will be a karma cost associated with creating each spellcasting device (ie. the Castor gun). Should each individual spell item (ie. Manaball bullet) have a karma cost associated with creating it as well?

Physical Adepts are in the best position to use these devices, they have a magic rating but are denied spell casting abilities (thus benefiting more than spell casters / mystic adepts). Will this be over powering? Will it make traditional spell casters take a back seat?

Is there anything I'm missing? (Other than concrete rules such as "roll this + this, you need X successes, each roll takes X.")
coolgrafix
Aside from the boilerplate "it's your game, do what you want" type of response, there is no mechanic to allow this. The ability of mundanes to use magic AT ALL is in direct opposition to the Shadowrun cosmology, RAW, and game balance. Foci (magic items) can only be used by those with a magic attribute and who have bound them with karma. You'd be fundamentally playing a different game.

Doesn't mean that game won't be fun. LOL =)

Sorry for the kneejerk.
Herald of Verjigorm
In SR2, Anchoring allowed for mages to enchant items to have potentially very complicated magical behavior with no need for a mage in control. This could be used for automated stunbolts when anything other than the spellcaster enters the room, to hardliner gloves that have an elemental effect attached so they do extra damage when used in melee.

In SR3, Anchoring allowed for mages to make items that could hold a spell and release it under simple conditions. A mage would need to recharge it after each use (and there were unfortunate rules about drain), but a mundane could trigger the spell use if the item was designed to allow that.

Is there Anchoring for SR4 yet?
Ancient History
Anchoring is included in Street Magic.

The main difficulty with your technomagi metamagic lies primarily in its flexibility (allowing mundanes to use magic) and cost. That's not to say you couldn't have a Unique Enchantment like the Caster Gun, but it would have to be a unique item that is beyond the powers of normal players to create: it would suck for a street sam to go out and buy a gun that makes him a better combat mage than the street sorcerer!
Synner
Anchoring was (re)introduced and updated in Street Magic. It no longer allows excessively complicated or "intelligent" triggers, but it still works for everything from healing potions to bobby-trapped doors to a stun bolt wand - and can be "programmed" to be triggered by mundane acts.
ShadowcatX
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Feb 13 2008, 01:25 PM) *
Aside from the boilerplate "it's your game, do what you want" type of response, there is no mechanic to allow this. The ability of mundanes to use magic AT ALL is in direct opposition to the Shadowrun cosmology, RAW, and game balance. Foci (magic items) can only be used by those with a magic attribute and who have bound them with karma. You'd be fundamentally playing a different game.

Doesn't mean that game won't be fun. LOL =)

Sorry for the kneejerk.

I'm not entirely sure I follow. As it is, cannot a mage anchor a spell to a bullet (we'll use death touch for the exampe), have it activate on touching a living aura, load it in a gun and give it to a friend, allowing the friend to more or less cast death touch (through making the bullet hit the target)?

My problem with that scenario (assuming the rules work the way I think they do, it is certainly possible I'm incorrect somewhere, and if I am, please, let me know) is that there's a lot to keep up with. The force the mage put the spell in, the mage's dicepool at the time, how much drain the mage allowed the spell to use, and a relatively high karma cost for such a small return.
Malicant
QUOTE (ShadowcatX @ Feb 13 2008, 07:26 PM) *
I'm not entirely sure I follow. As it is, cannot a mage anchor a spell to a bullet (we'll use death touch for the exampe), have it activate on touching a living aura, load it in a gun and give it to a friend, allowing the friend to more or less cast death touch (through making the bullet hit the target)?

My problem with that scenario (assuming the rules work the way I think they do, it is certainly possible I'm incorrect somewhere, and if I am, please, let me know) is that there's a lot to keep up with. The force the mage put the spell in, the mage's dicepool at the time, how much drain the mage allowed the spell to use, and a relatively high karma cost for such a small return.

Actually, a mage can make such a funny bullet. But it would be more an assassination tool, since the spell would trigger the moment someone tries to load it into a gun. Nice idea, btw.
Ancient History
QUOTE (ShadowcatX @ Feb 13 2008, 06:26 PM) *

That is correct.

Well, a couple things: there are two main benefits from anchoring a spell. First, you can give it to someone else to use under certain conditions, or to be somewhere you cannot be as a trap, warning system, etc. Second, all the work of the spell is front-loaded. You could take special precautions to maximize your dice pool (such as using ritual sorcery or locating yourself on a manaline), for example, or have emergency medical personnel standing by if the Drain floors you.

That said, there is one principal drawbacks: an anchored spell is a one-shot, fire-and-forget kind of thing-the spell might fizzle, or go off prematurely if the condition is met too soon. Either way, you're not getting your Karma back.

The thing to realize about SR is that magic is restricted to magicians. There are very few exceptions to this, but it means that to be in keeping with this idea no mundane will ever actually cast a spell-it's always a mage casting a spell and the mundane just triggers it-or suffer Drain.
Herald of Verjigorm
Since it sounds like SR4 Anchoring shares more in common with SR3 style than SR2 style, I think I know how to make mostly what the original poster described.

Various spells, anchored in the ammo, trigger conditions provided by a special, but completely mundane, gun-shaped trinket.

Tada, gun that fires spells, spells are one per "bullet", and anyone can use the gun.

If you want to recreate the suicidal rounds, toss in a bit of specialty blood magic to make a few stronger spell types for the gun.
Moon-Hawk
It looks to me like the bullets are pretty much just standard one-use applications of Anchoring. The "gun" is the special thing that lets the user take the drain instead of the magician. But that's basically the only difference between this and regular anchoring, right?
Moon-Hawk
Double post. Sorry.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 13 2008, 08:52 PM) *
It looks to me like the bullets are pretty much just standard one-use applications of Anchoring. The "gun" is the special thing that lets the user take the drain instead of the magician. But that's basically the only difference between this and regular anchoring, right?

No, as stated it's something completely different. Imagine that the "caster gun" is your magical talent and the bullets as given are one-shot spells. That's the description as written.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 13 2008, 04:01 PM) *
No, as stated it's something completely different. Imagine that the "caster gun" is your magical talent and the bullets as given are one-shot spells. That's the description as written.

Oh, well then maybe it should be more like I said. biggrin.gif
ShadowcatX
QUOTE (Malicant @ Feb 13 2008, 03:18 PM) *
Actually, a mage can make such a funny bullet. But it would be more an assassination tool, since the spell would trigger the moment someone tries to load it into a gun. Nice idea, btw.

Except if the bullet was pre-loaded by the mage, or was 2nd or 3rd in a clip, or had a detect enemies spell tagged along with it.
ShadowcatX
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 13 2008, 05:10 PM) *
Oh, well then maybe it should be more like I said. biggrin.gif

I think that will be the path I take with it.
Malicant
QUOTE (ShadowcatX @ Feb 14 2008, 01:02 AM) *
Except if the bullet was pre-loaded by the mage, or was 2nd or 3rd in a clip, or had a detect enemies spell tagged along with it.

The mage loading the bullet after enchanting it would result in a roasted mage. Detect enemies linked as trigger might be a good idea, although I'm not sure if that is still possible in SR4. Haven't bothered reading it, since I despise that "pay karma for one use stuff" mechanic of anchoring.
Da9iel
QUOTE (Malicant Feb 13 2008 @ 01:18 PM)
But it would be more an assassination tool, since the spell would trigger the moment someone tries to load it into a gun.

Except you don't always have to touch a bullet to load a cartridge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012