Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free Spirits and Good Karma
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tisoz
MitS p.116 lists ratios for giving karma to free spirits. I am wondering what would be the rate of a spirit giving karma to a free spirit? Following the trend on page 116, I am thinking at least 1:1. Would it matter if the giving spirit were bound, an ally or free? (Most spirts have no good karma, but if they agree to give karma, Karma Pool is paid instead of Good Karma.) Since Free spirits are capable of possessing Good Karma would their ratio for giving be better than a full magicians 1:1? Are ther any other spirits capable of possessing Good Karma?
Fortune
I'd say one-for-one, with the possibility of improving the ratio if the Spirit has Enchanting.
hyzmarca
dead.gif Wait a second.

If free spirits are able to get a better than 1:1 ratio for karma exchange between each other, then why the hell aren't their pairs for Force 2,000,000,000,000 free spirits out there? The consequence of a better than 1:1 ratio is the ability for two spirits to exponentially increase their karma stores with each trade. Two spirits could spend weeks trading karma back and forth, accumulating trillions upon trillions of karma each.

Lets say, for example, they have a 1:2 ratio. Spirit A give 1 karma to spirit B but Spirit B receives 2 karma. Spirit B then gives that 2 karma back to Spirit A but Spirit A receives 4 karma which is given back to B who receives 8 karma which is given back to A who receives 16 karma which is given back to B who receives 32 karma and so on.

2:3 is slower and requires a bigger seed but the results are the same.
Fortune
Not every Spirit has Enchanting.

There are rules for using Enchantng to better the exchange. Why couldn't a Spirit that knows the Skill use it in this fashion?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 14 2008, 04:06 AM) *
Not every Spirit has Enchanting.

There are rules for using Enchantng to better the exchange. Why couldn't a Spirit that knows the Skill use it in this fashion?

The rules actually specify Conjuring, not Enchanting. Spirits can't use Conjuring at all, though a magician could use it on one's behalf. The real problem is that it creates the aforementioned boundless exponential series. There would be no proctical limits on the amount of karma a Free Spirit could have. This has the effect of both makign absurdly powerful Free Spirits common and devaluing karma (karma inflation).
Fortune
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The rules actually specify Conjuring ...

Well then ... D'oh! embarrassed.gif

Too long since I had the books. Still 1 for 1 seems to be about right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012