Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stick and Shock
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocTaotsu
http://www.taser.com/products/law/Pages/XREP.aspx

The fins make it look like a drone to me.

Also:
http://www.taser.com/products/military/Pag...RShockwave.aspx

Might make a nice addition to a riggers vehicle. When you don't want to waste smart armor....
Abbandon
Thats pretty cool. Two things though:
#1 The demo of the taser bullet looked fake as hell as far as the effects produced on the guys hit by it.
#2 those TRAD's or taser "claymores" would be completely useless as people could just evade them or bring shields if they see them deployed.

I have wanted cops to develop tranq guns to just put people to sleep who are being unruly or aggressive. I just realized though thanx to that demonstration that the reason they probably havent dont so yet besides possable drug reactions in people is the fact that a drug would take a few seconds to take effect, those taser weapons seem to cause loss of motor control immedeately which is good for hostage situations and stuff.

I think the perfect non-lethal weapon would be a mix of the two. Electrical currents that block motor function while the chemical compound takes effect. Then you have immedeate prevention power and total and complete pacification after the drug kicks in.

On a related note, did you guys see that the US navy has built and test fired a Rail Gun? Its shells have a range of 200 miles which is 150 MILES more than standard shells. There is also no threat from rail gun ammo getting hit by enemy fire as they do not contain any explosive compounds. Rail gun rifles and pistols would be cool for shadowrun.

And if we are talking about ammo I want to again reiterate that I want needle ammo. It does 1-3P and has -7-9AP. It is designed to easily puncture armor and barriers but does little damage except its always Physical damage.
DocTaotsu
Well if you were planning on getting tazed by an anti-riot vehicle than yes, I suppose you would bring a shield.
If you're some punks trying to roll my normal looking sedan and I flip the switch that shoots you full of concealed tazer... that's a different matter.
Tazer claymores are doing their job if your opponent has to go around them or bring special equipment (last time I checked electrically insulated riot shields are not a standard part of a combat load). Judging from the design the enemy is supposed to see you deploy them and go "Well shit, that's a pain in the ass." they're not meant to really be a huge deterent.

I've always felt the videos Tazer puts out look faked up but I've been assured that the product works pretty well. People I've talked to who have actually been tazed say it's not a very pleasant experience.

There was a whole thread on the railgun, can't remember what it was called exactly. They've been trying to sell the whole "non-explosive" angle even though current plans seem to indicate the stupid long range rounds will be using some sort of rocket assist. Still that's far better than stacking giant bags of gunpowder behind hundreds of pounds of HE.

The problem with drugs that incapcitate people are as you've mentioned. Drug interactions have serious ethical and legal implications. The delay to onset is probably not as big a deal as the fact that something strong enough to knock out a 180 lbs PCP beserker is probably enough to kill a 99 lbs teenager. The Russians used some sort of knock out gas a couple of years back in that theater hostage situation. Killed not a few people who weren't terrorists.

Personally I'm holding out for breathable freeze foam, that seems like a pretty decent way to keep someone from doing harm while avoiding kill them or people near them.
Abbandon
Nanite + chemical compound !! well atleast in shadowrun lol. Nanites would be loaded up with a compound and the bullets would inject them into people. After that the nanites would rush to the heart and brain and release the proper amount of chemical. Drugs take the proper effect at the end of the second combat turn in which the target is hit. 1 turn to reach the target zone and assess medical condition, turn 2 deliver extremely potent compound specifically measured for the target.
DocTaotsu
Seems like an expensive and complex solution when shocking the shite out of someone works just as well wink.gif

SR has narcoject and I try not to think too hard about how you can generate that much incapictation without side effects. But hey, I entertain the notion that we'll have that tech in 60 years.
Daier Mune
damn. the "reflex contacts" that thing has are cruel and ingenious.
DocTaotsu
Vital too, wouldn't want your target pulling the trodes out and running away would you?
Abbandon
Which they shouldn't be able to do if the things worked right.....
DocTaotsu
Ah yes... if things work right.

*Evil cackle*

Shall we high/low for that tazer glitch? Yes... give me a second to refer to my "Why does it never go smooth?!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012