Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Device Ratings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
raverbane
If someone has the connections to get access to a delta clinic. Would they be better off getting a deltagrade datajack for only 5,000 with skinlink, as opposed to a comlimk?

The table on page 214 shows that deltagrade cyberware has level 6 Device rating. And commlinks can run programs. So, it should have, basically, Response 6, signal 0. Just add in your own OS and Firewall. Added with a skinlink satlink and you are good to go.
Ryu
In my opinion, yes.
Jaid
one of the (unwritten) assumptions of SR4's matrix rules appears to be that device rating only applies to those things for which the device is intended for specifically.

as such, a device rating 6 datajack would have a 6 for the purposes of keeping people from hacking it, but as it is not designed specifically to run programs it would not be useful for that. you couldn't run an agent from it or anything like that, for example.

or at least, that's the interpretation you're forced to use if you don't want people using rating 6 maglocks and such nonsense to hack into mainframe computers. it's up to you i suppose. but hey, if you're gonna use that assumption, then it still isn't worth it to buy a deltaware datajack. just use some device rating 6 completely innocent-looking commonly-used item (a credstick is another good choice for cheap but high-rating, for example). after all, who can blame you for having a credstick?
MaxHunter
I agree with Jaid. It is a datajack, not a commlink. Thus, it has a device rating of X for what it does, which is technologically comparable to a commlink tech of equal rating. It cannot run a OS and programs from there.

Plus, Isn't firewall not system dependent? Couldn't you upload a firewall 6 into a normal datajack? whaddaya think?

For the record, in my games we have firewall = to device rating. "My commlink is my datajack" is not allowed. However, we do allow to "upgrade" a datajack's firewall by paying a firewall upgrade cost like a commlink's.

Cheers,

Max
Abbandon
So Jaid/Max you wouldnt allow enemy agents into a datajack either ?
Jaid
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 17 2008, 09:49 PM) *
So Jaid/Max you wouldnt allow enemy agents into a datajack either ?

i wouldn't allow them to run on the processing power of one, no.

i might allow IC (based on the fact that IC has to have some kind of purpose for existing separate from agents), but while an agent could certainly hack it's way into a datajack (or be given permission legitimately i suppose), i wouldn't allow it to load itself onto the datajack. it would have to be running off a commlink.
Ryu
Unwired will apparently bring node types. And they are going to fix Agent Smith. So I´d have to advise against building a char that depends on running an agent on something else than a comlink. Too risky.
MaxHunter
From my perspective: The IC in the datajack would be SLOOOOW. I find that squeeze a little too glitchy. I could allow it in the middle of a game but somehow reduce its effectiveness because it's kind of fun. (Burnt datajack chance? Headaches like Johnny Mmemonic?) However, it would not fly as a standard OP. But that's just me speaking.

Cheers

Max
MaxHunter
Bah! Second thoughts, If you got a 5000y datajack implanted, you could talk the dm into letting it have some special prestations like the ability to load a custom IC gatekeeper. It could even be a firmware IC. But then, it would not be so much simpler and cheaper than the full commlink thing.

Cheers,

Max
BlackHat
Well, there has a been a lot of precedent for the idea that you can run IC on cyberware (datajacks, included) to keep people from hacking them.
That, I have no problem with - although, SR4 did a shoddy job of differentiating IC from Agents. If the two are actually separate things, I would say IC can run on devices, while Agents cannot.
Otherwise, having an agent with a solid load-out of programs moved from your commlink to your wireless-enabled datajack is just as good (although you'd still need the commlink to fire him up in the first place, but you could put it away and turn it off as soon as you've uploaded the agent.

I would agree that you couldn't run programs on there though, for the same reason other people have mentioned. If that were intended, there would be no need to ever buy a commlink.

I hope, as someone else mentioned, that Unwired clears this up, and I am sure it will.
ixombie
Everything is a computer in Shadowrun, but not all computers are commlinks. If they were, there would be no need for the mod in arsenal that lets you turn a gun into a commlink. If you could just upgrade the signal and response and system and firewall of a gun to make it a commlink, that mod wouldn't make sense.

What's the real difference? You can load and run progs on a piece of ware after all. But the difference is you can't have a persona by using a piece of ware. You can't log onto the piece of ware and connect to the matrix. Commlinks are responsible for your persona, even if a device has a system 6 and firewall 6, that doesn't make it a commlink. Cyberware can talk to a commlink, or even another device, but it is not a portal to other hosts. You can't log onto it. You have to have some device with an interface with which to send it commands. So basically you need to log onto your commlink and establish a connection to your datajack from there. That lets you send commands to your datajack, run programs on it, etc. I know the book doesn't explain this very well, I'm just confabulating because there really is no clear explanation why datajacks aren't commlinks, except that it's clear that they're not.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 18 2008, 09:06 AM) *
Everything is a computer in Shadowrun, but not all computers are commlinks. If they were, there would be no need for the mod in arsenal that lets you turn a gun into a commlink. If you could just upgrade the signal and response and system and firewall of a gun to make it a commlink, that mod wouldn't make sense.

What's the real difference? You can load and run progs on a piece of ware after all. But the difference is you can't have a persona by using a piece of ware.

Hm, devices attach to eachother via passcodes, personas use access ID. Obviously you can control a datajack via DNI (two datajackers can connect and have a private conversation without a commlink). And the book mentions that you can form networks with any device acting as the hub (usually a commlink). However, commlinks and terminals are the only things mentioned which affect the Matrix. So while you could run Edit on your datajack, and edit any data stored on it or flowing through it, you couldn't use it to access another network without a persona unless you slaved your device to it, nor could you command agents or drones (you could control them directly still, so long as they are on your network).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012