Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jackpoint: How is it different from Shadowland?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cardul
OK. I remember that we used to have a full bit of info about Shadowland in Seattle, how it worked, how you got access there, its security, etc. So far, we have none of that for Jackpoint.

So, I guess this is more of a case of wild cnjecture..but..how does everyone here think:

a) Access is gotten to Jackpoint?
b) Jackpoint's Security is like?
c) Jackpoint "rep" works?
d) anything else I probably forgot but is referenced subtley somewhere?
ShadowDragon8685
(a) You have to (1) be invited (permenantly or as a guest writer) or (2) hack your way in.
(b) Jackpoint's security consists of FastJack. 'nuff said.
© like the 'rep' on BBSes which let users rate one another. You have a high rep, a lot of people think you're keen - negative rep, people think you're an asshole, and you may be banned/blackhammered depending on how annoying you were.
Ravor
I for one miss the old free-weilding Shadowland, Jackpoint just seems to be missing a certain something that I can't quite put my finger on.
Eyeless Blond
Well Shadowland required dozens of deckers, old millitary fiber connections, and clandestine server clusters spread out all over the place.

With the new storage rules, all of Jackpoint could be hosted off of a hacked monitoring device for a trash can in the middle of downtown Seattle.

It just doesn't seem to have the weight of the old SL.
ShadowDragon8685
It's also a lot less free-wheeling. frown.gif
hyzmarca
What Jackpoint needs is what every good message board needs. Flame Wars. And I'm not talking about just a few posts over a controversial subject. I'm talking about a 500+ post Vietnam reenactment over over the most insignificant piece of trivia one can possibly imagine. It could also use some passive-agressive bear-bating, thinly disguised sexual harassment, matrix trolls, and biological who get pissed off when matrix trolls are called trolls.

Somebody really needs to go on Jackpoint and ask if Star Wars could beat up Star Trek. Or, more topically, who would win in a fight between the late great Dunkie and Lofwyr.
Cadmus
So you want it to be like Dumpshock? *ducks*

ya know with the rules and such, with what you can do with a com think how powerful a full server could be? hell a custom unit that is the size of a brief case ya know? get a few of them put them around the planet, set them up to boot now and again for down loads of back ups from the current active bourd then shut down till a code goes off citing the lose of the main hub, Poof! and in a second or less the shadow bourd is up and runing again. with at most a days out of date info? Reduncy, use it, love it, if you don't have it your a gun bunny smile.gif
martindv
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 19 2008, 02:06 AM) *
What Jackpoint needs is what every good message board needs. Flame Wars. And I'm not talking about just a few posts over a controversial subject.

That's what ShadowSea is for.

There's a decent overview of Jackpoint on the Sixth World Wiki.
Cardul
QUOTE (martindv @ Feb 19 2008, 05:11 AM) *
That's what ShadowSea is for.

There's a decent overview of Jackpoint on the Sixth World Wiki.

I am kind of wary of Sixth World Wiki, since I do not know who is officially the one maintaining it. I tend to always be nervous around Wikis, though, since people will go in and put in false information, since Wiki's tend to not require source references. I like being able to check sources, especially when it is dealing with something as significant as Jackpoint.

Then again..I look at the Wiki information, and it kind of raises the question: Since, apparently, Jackpoint is NOT open to everyone, what are the Datahavens and such for different areas? Is there one of Neo-Tokyo, Seattle, etc? Maybe we will see that sort of info in Unwired, even though that is just supposed to be rules because of Catalysts plan to keep rules and fluff separate?
martindv
Well, there's ShadowSea...

The Shadowland darknet is still apparently up from my reading of the ShadowSea entry in Runner Havens. It's just that Shadowland Seattle is no longer the fictional framing device that is was in the first three editions.

As for Unwired, I see no reason why not. They keep the rules and fiction separate. But they're both in the core rule books. If Arsenal has info on finding the black market, it would be almost criminal for Unwired not to have info on how to find Shadowland.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Cardul @ Feb 19 2008, 11:01 AM) *
I am kind of wary of Sixth World Wiki, since I do not know who is officially the one maintaining it. I tend to always be nervous around Wikis, though, since people will go in and put in false information, since Wiki's tend to not require source references. I like being able to check sources, especially when it is dealing with something as significant as Jackpoint.

The 6th World Wiki is maintained by, among others, Adam Jury. Entries do usually (not always, especially with older articles) have page or at least book references.
And for some time now non-canon information has been flagged as such (and deleted eventually).
Jackstand
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 19 2008, 03:06 AM) *
Somebody really needs to go on Jackpoint and ask if Star Wars could beat up Star Trek. Or, more topically, who would win in a fight between the late great Dunkie and Lofwyr.

I think we all know that the winner would be Mr. Rogers or his Sixth World equivalent.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Jackstand @ Feb 19 2008, 08:36 PM) *
I think we all know that the winner would be Mr. Rogers or his Sixth World equivalent.

What are you, retarded?

Clearly it would Geriatric Chuck Norris!
Jaid
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 19 2008, 08:58 PM) *
What are you, retarded?

Clearly it would Geriatric Chuck Norris!

clearly you aren't familiar with the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny...

on a side note, i don't think you're allowed to hack your way into jackpoint. that was shadowlands. jackpoint is pretty much a by-invitation-only group, as i understand it.

(this is not to say that nobody can hack in or doesn't hack in, but rather that whereas in shadowlands you were considered to be there legitimately if you hacked in, i don't think that applies to jackpoint).
Cardul
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 19 2008, 10:15 PM) *

on a side note, i don't think you're allowed to hack your way into jackpoint. that was shadowlands. jackpoint is pretty much a by-invitation-only group, as i understand it.

(this is not to say that nobody can hack in or doesn't hack in, but rather that whereas in shadowlands you were considered to be there legitimately if you hacked in, i don't think that applies to jackpoint).

I don't know...I think if you can beat FastJack's security and defenses, then, well...you COULD be said to have proven your right to be there. Shadowland really did not have any real security. Really, anyone could get into Shadowland..but Jackpoint?
Ancient History
QUOTE (Cardul @ Feb 20 2008, 04:05 AM) *
I don't know...I think if you can beat FastJack's security and defenses, then, well...you COULD be said to have proven your right to be there. Shadowland really did not have any real security. Really, anyone could get into Shadowland..but Jackpoint?

I think the JackPointers would take a vote and FastJack would nod his wizened head and blow the intruding pissant's frontal lobes out their noses with a combat proggy he's been saving for the occasion.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 19 2008, 09:15 PM) *

That's why I specified geriatric Chuck Norris. Age = Experiance, and Experiance = Asskicking. Plus, there's no penalties for being geriatric in Shadowrun.

Besides, it took the combination of the forces of Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Black Knight, Benito Mussolini, the Blue Meanie, Cowboy Curtis, Jambie the Geanie, Robocop, the Terminator, Captain Kirk, Darth Vader, Lo Pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger, Bill S. Preston, Theodore Logan, Spock, the Rock, Doctor Octopus and Hulk Hogan, to kick Chuck Norris' ass.

A single, or even two, Great Dragons, dosen't stand a chance.
Kyoto Kid
....you forgot about The Tick grinbig.gif

SPOOOOOOOON!
Fabe
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 19 2008, 10:49 PM) *
That's why I specified geriatric Chuck Norris. Age = Experiance, and Experiance = Asskicking. Plus, there's no penalties for being geriatric in Shadowrun.

Besides, it took the combination of the forces of Gandalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Black Knight, Benito Mussolini, the Blue Meanie, Cowboy Curtis, Jambie the Geanie, Robocop, the Terminator, Captain Kirk, Darth Vader, Lo Pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger, Bill S. Preston, Theodore Logan, Spock, the Rock, Doctor Octopus and Hulk Hogan, to kick Chuck Norris' ass.

A bit off topic but just in case some of you don't know what ShadowDragon and Jaid are talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ye4mYR878
KCKitsune
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 19 2008, 10:49 PM) *

Just think about this... Leonization. You're pushing 90 years old and feel like crap. Drop down 400,000 nuyen.gif and make yourself 25 again. Just think... Stallone, Norris, the Governator... all making movies until the end of time wobble.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Dosen't Leonization have an essence cost?

Eventually they'll burn out.
martindv
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Feb 19 2008, 10:13 PM) *
I think the JackPointers would take a vote and FastJack would nod his wizened head and blow the intruding pissant's frontal lobes out their noses with a combat proggy he's been saving for the occasion.

I thought he tries not to kill people anymore.
Jaid
QUOTE (martindv @ Feb 20 2008, 12:08 AM) *
I thought he tries not to kill people anymore.

pretty sure you can survive with a lobotomy, provided you get appropriate medical care wink.gif
martindv
Blowing the frontal lobe out someone's nose is a bit more invasive than a lobotomy.
Jaid
QUOTE (martindv @ Feb 20 2008, 04:11 PM) *
Blowing the frontal lobe out someone's nose is a bit more invasive than a lobotomy.

that's ok, medical science will have advanced quite a bit in 60 years anyways smile.gif

for example, good luck completely recovering from a gunshot wound in 30 seconds in modern times when the person is using only a high-quality first aid kit wink.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 19 2008, 08:50 PM) *

Eventually they'll burn out.

Essence is just a mathematical representation of how close you are to being Chuck Norris. When you hit zero you've become too little like Chuck Norris to be allowed to survive and the universe spits you out.

Thus, Chuck Norris has infinite Essence, because he can never be less than Chuck Norris, no matter how many times he is Leonized.
Grinder
Exactly!
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 20 2008, 05:50 AM) *

Not anymore.

QUOTE (Cardul @ Feb 19 2008, 06:50 AM) *
Jackpoint's Security is like?

The weakest link - the individual regular's commlink.

It's a darknet - it hopes of going unnoticed. Once you found it, it's no more secure than any other system.
That's the main issue about it - knowing it even exists. But given there are now invited guests, that knowledge won't stay arcane for long.
TW
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Feb 21 2008, 01:43 AM) *
Essence is just a mathematical representation of how close you are to being Chuck Norris. When you hit zero you've become too little like Chuck Norris to be allowed to survive and the universe spits you out.

Thus, Chuck Norris has infinite Essence, because he can never be less than Chuck Norris, no matter how many times he is Leonized.

I seem to have misplaced the algorithm, but isn't Jack Bauer the new Chuck Norris?
Grinder
You are kidding. Of course you are.
Fortune

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Feb 21 2008, 10:05 PM) *
Not anymore.

But it supposedly does have a GM-designated treatment limit.
Rotbart van Dainig
It took 10 years to change Essence cost into Bioindex cost and another 10 years to even remove Bioindex cost for Leonization.
Given that progress, that issue should be adressed arround 2080 - soon enough for even first-gen Leonization patients still not requiring the second main treatment.

In fact, Arsenal even lists a harmless drug that, when consumed on a regular basis, provides longvitivity.
Fuchs
In other words: If a rich person looks old then he/she wants to look old, or is not really rich.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012