Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movement Power (spirit)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
entropysoda
A spirit using the Movement Power...can increase "the subject's movement rate within the terrain it controls"...

1) What exactly does "within the terrain it controls" mean?

2) Does this mean an air spirit can only improve the movement of flying creatures (and NOT land vehicles)?

3) What about Spirit of Man, and other creatures with the movement power? IE. What terrain do they "control"?...it is VERY unclear as written.
Mr. Unpronounceable
At a guess...

3rd edition copy & paste error - just like the spirit stat block in the critter section.
DTFarstar
I generally use it as fluff to describe how the critter increases the speed of whatever.

Chris
Riley37
My group had an AWESOME moment on that recently.

The team developed a grudge match with a Master Shedim, located his lair (drain tunnels inhabited by his ghoul pawns), fought its way all the way to the center with 4 points of aspect towards torture and suffering, and he escaped to a metaplane. We captured a detection artifact bonded to him (which he had been using to track us), and we had, from an unrelated storyline, magical incense usable for creating metaplanar portals. Our mages cast a ritual with the incense and the artifact, got a portal for the team to cross over, and fought the master and some minions to the finish; he was in what looked like a pool of blood, and was actually the distilled essence of misery from his torture victems. Having finished the job, and having been advised by the GM that the very fabric of the metaplane hated us for being alive, we decided to leave, and the posession mage with Spirits of Man invoked Movement for our retreat.

For travel across a lake, get help from a water spirit; through the sky, an air spirit; and across a metaplane of suffering, a Spirit of Man.

Bonus karma for bonus dharma!
raverbane
This is just another case of pathetic editting. Since Domains went out the window with Fourth Edition, there really is no terrain they control.

Just use the reference as fluff. If that were to be taken seriously, then I guess guardian spirits could only increase movement in battlefields, plant spirits could only affect targets in gardens and task spirits could only affect targets in libraries?

And ally spirits could only affect targets at are inside thier ally??
Lyonheart
QUOTE (raverbane @ Feb 21 2008, 03:25 PM) *
And ally spirits could only affect targets at are inside thier ally??

For a different sort of "movement"
Lyonheart
Completely different question on Movement, does it provide protection against the hazards of an increased movement speed, I.E. does it help you keep your car on the road, prevent you from riping the wings off your sub-sonic aircraft that's now doing low Mach numbers, negate the added heat of friction on a space plane when it's reentry speed is doubled, Etc.
Particle_Beam
Strangely enough, you do not accelerate, you are simply faster, so yes, it protects against all such things. It's magic, after all. Perhaps they will insert limitations to that power in SR 5th edition one day, but for now, we deal with it as it is.
raverbane
QUOTE (Lyonheart @ Feb 21 2008, 09:06 PM) *
Completely different question on Movement, does it provide protection against the hazards of an increased movement speed, I.E. does it help you keep your car on the road, prevent you from riping the wings off your sub-sonic aircraft that's now doing low Mach numbers, negate the added heat of friction on a space plane when it's reentry speed is doubled, Etc.

This was addressed in a previous thread, but I cant find it at the moment. The consensus was that the movement power is a sort of time dilation effect and not true acceleration. That solves many inherent issues when trying to apply 'real' physics to the movement power.

As a side note. When my character ever uses movement on himself, or especially a fast vehicle, I make sure I have a service left over to get the spirit to apply some Guard as well.. hehe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012