Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Street Sam Costume
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Samantha
So, Stellarcon is rolling around again in March, and this year there is a Shadowrun LARP. I'm trying to make a street-sam costume, and I am wondering if you fine Dumpshock goers have any ideas?

So far:
PVC Pipe + Spring = Cyber-implant Spur
Headphone Jack + Spirit Gum = Headjack
Nerf Maverick + Paintjob = Colt Manhunter?
Old Glasses + Crosshair Decal = Imagelink glasses

That's what I have so far, how about you guys?
Critias
Hit up a milsurp store for some camo pants to round it out. Or go pure 80's, and just slash big stupid looking holes in some jeans.
Samantha
The local Navy/Army Surplus gets a bit expensive, but I'll try it out. I need to hit a hardware store too.
DocTaotsu
Well that all kinda depends if you're going Pink Mohawk or Tactical Vest with SAPI plates and face paint.

And wow Critias, you hit that one on the head. Nothing screams the 80's like prebroken jeans.
Samantha
I have plenty of jeans to rip holes in. Quite a few are already started!
DocTaotsu
One better:
Ripped jeans with brightly colored stocking/leotard underneath. Nothing says tactical like pink.
Samantha
Oh, that's a damn good idea.
DocTaotsu
Also, assuming you've got long hair. I love the Gibson transistors braided into hair. Always thought that was a cool image.

Are you going to go for the boring and tired long coat or are you going to try to do something more exciting?
Samantha
I don't own any long coat, so most likely yes. Any ideas? I'd prefer something long sleeved so I can tuck the spur inside my sleeves.
Aaron
If you've got a halfway decent physique, you could paint an arm silver.
Squinky
This guy did some coolness that might be inspiring:

Dude made Mjolnir armor
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Squinky @ Feb 20 2008, 09:48 AM) *

Dude made Mjolnir armor

love.gif That is friggin sweet!
Ed_209a
If you plan to be a Sam all day, I'd lean towards the 2E 80's look more than the 4E tactical look. The hotel managers will be much more comfortable that way.

Have fun at Stellarcon. I have been to a bunch of them, but not in the last few years.
Wesley Street
If you want the cyberhand look you could find an old skin-tight glove, spray-paint it with silver glitter paint, and sew or paint some circuits, LEDs and other doodads and geegaws into it. Fake up some tribal tattoos on your face if you don't have any. And spray a big old anarchy "A" on a shirt or jacket.
Samantha
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Feb 20 2008, 01:24 PM) *
If you want the cyberhand look you could find an old skin-tight glove, spray-paint it with silver glitter paint, and sew or paint some circuits, LEDs and other doodads and geegaws into it. Fake up some tribal tattoos on your face if you don't have any. And spray a big old anarchy "A" on a shirt or jacket.

I was going to get a glove and ductape it, but spraypaint might work better. Skin tight gloves might be hard to find, other than the wimpy rubber ones.
DocTaotsu
Maybe something along the lines of an old golf glove or similiar. It might be handy to add something a bit stiffer like cardboard along the back of your hand for that solid feel.
Fortune
Latex gloves are good, but if there is a friendly doctor or hospital near you, surgical gloves are almost perfect.
kzt
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Feb 20 2008, 09:51 AM) *
If you plan to be a Sam all day, I'd lean towards the 2E 80's look more than the 4E tactical look. The hotel managers will be much more comfortable that way.

You just carry pink or red guns. They don't mind then. You just don't tell them that it's just temp paint on real guns. . .
Samantha
I'm actually looking to get a chrome looking Nerf Maverick. I'm gonna buy one sometime this weekend and then take it apart, paint it, and other stuff.
DocTaotsu
What out for those nerfhaven forum goers, they take nerf way to seriously.

What kind of paint are you going to use? I hear that there's some sort of vinyl dye that's supposed to work well.
Samantha
The Instructables website has a good step by step howto. Seems like regular spraypaint for the base coat, and then other paints for the rest. I can easily find chrome spray paint, I used a gold metallic paint for a school project a few years back.
Dayhawk
QUOTE (Squinky @ Feb 20 2008, 09:48 AM) *

Dude made Mjolnir armor

Damn, link isn't working.

Good luck with the costume. If your feeling kind, perhaps you can post a picture of how it turned out!
Samantha
Maybe. I generally forget to bring a camera. I have a brain like a steel trap... that has been rusted through and no one bothered to fix.
Dayhawk
Oh, hehe i'm not saying that you have to be wearing it. Even a shot of it on a table layed out would be cool.
Samantha
I'll see what I can do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012