Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Confused on: Magical Traditions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lionhearted
On each tradition its a listing of the different schools of magic, aswell as a associated spirit type, obviously this has something to do with the services you can ask a spirit to perform, however im not entirely clear on how this work..
as an example, would a hermetic mage only be able to ask fire spirits to perform combat services for him?
Ancient History
They're not "schools of magic" they are spell categories. Any magician can order a spirit of whatever type they can summon to do practically anything, but when it comes to Magical Services (p.178), the magician has to use a spirit associated with the spell category given in their tradition. So a hermetic mage could ask a Fire Spirit to Aid Sorcery for a combat spell, but a shaman could not.
Lionhearted
Ah, thanks.. It all makes sense now, Sorry about the mix up. "Schools of magic" must be a leftover from my D&D time wink.gif
Juggy#3
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 21 2008, 09:01 AM) *
Ah, thanks.. It all makes sense now, Sorry about the mix up. "Schools of magic" must be a leftover from my D&D time wink.gif

"Schools" of magic?

So...there's more than just "Evocation"?
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Juggy#3 @ Feb 21 2008, 10:03 AM) *
"Schools" of magic?

So...there's more than just "Evocation"?

yea, actually Evocation is one of the less powerful schools, Basically cause everything that can be done with evocation can be done better with illusions
swirler
ahh cool, I'm glad you asked this. It was something I hadn't realized and wouldn't have thought to ask. I'm in the middle of trying to nail down the rules as best I can before I start my new SR4 game.
Juggy#3
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 21 2008, 09:10 AM) *
yea, actually Evocation is one of the less powerful schools, Basically cause everything that can be done with evocation can be done better with illusions

I disbelieve that. wink.gif
swirler
Wild Magic trumps all!! wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012