Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arsenal weapon mods
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ixombie
Do weapon mods ignore a weapon's restrictions on mounts? It doesn't say explicitly...

But here's the evidence:

Arsenal p. 148: When a weapon comes with an integral accessory standard, it says to count that as a mod, not an accessory.

Core p. 301 (sidebar): Integral accessories do not take up mounts.

Therefore, logically, a weapon mod ignores restrictions like the Ingram Supermach (can't accept barrel or underbarrel accessories), or the Cavalier Deputy (can't take a standard silencer), and maybe even the Ruger Super Warhawk (can't mount a silencer).

Further evidence:

Core p. 301: Pistols have a top mount and barrel mount (but no underbarrel mount).

Aresnal p. 34: Underbarrel weights take up an underbarrel mount.

Asenal p. 153: The Underbarrel weight mod cannot be used on hold-outs, while the Auto-Adjusting weight mod cannot be used on holdouts or pistols, telling us that the underbarrel weight mod can work on pistols. This means that, despite pistols not having underbarrel mounts, they can accept underbarrel weight mods. i.e. you couldn't just clip one on, but with the proper tools and expertise you could make it happen.

So... had everyone already figured this out? Hopefully I'm right, and this is helpful grinbig.gif
Daier Mune
there's also mention under the mods section that a gun *can* have a Gas Vent and a Silencer (although it can't use both at the same time).

i'm also wondering about multiple silencers on a weapon. i'm willing to belive that two sound suppressors wouldn't give cumulative bonuses, but i would think that a rifle could have both a sound suppressor AND a thermal suppressor.
ixombie
Actually there is a rule that you cannot have more than one of the same type of mod. And if you have something as a mod, you can't also have it as an accessory.

The best you can do is combine Electronic Firing System with a suppressor or silencer, that gives an extra -1 to hear the weapon.
Erebus
My question on weapon mods is:
How on earth is Auto Ammo Skip only 1 slot?
It would need to involve an electric motor and track or at least some funky memory metal mechanics, to cycle rounds out without firing.

ixombie
Heh, I think they could have some pretty damn tiny motors in 2070. Doesn't seem like an issue in a setting where there's nanotech, i.e. fully functional robots which are too small to see.
jago668
Why would you add both a sound suppressor and a thermal suppressor to the same weapon?

QUOTE (Arsenal pg 153)
The thermal suppressor is a simpler version of the silencer/sound suppressor, reducing only the flash and heat from a firearm’s muzzle, but not the sound. It provides a –4 dice pool modifier to Perception Tests to locate the position of the weapon by means of looking for the flash and/or heat signature.

So it looks like the normal supressor/silencer applies to vision as well as sound.
Fortune
QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 25 2008, 01:51 PM) *
... and maybe even the Ruger Super Warhawk (can't mount a silencer).

Revolvers are specifically addressed in Arsenal. They cannot use Standard silencers (even as a mod), but can use one of those weird gas-catching bag things as a silencer.
Fortune
QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 25 2008, 03:50 PM) *
The best you can do is combine Electronic Firing System with a suppressor or silencer, that gives an extra -1 to hear the weapon.

An Integral silencer is worth an extra -2 over a detachable one on Perception tests as well.
Ryu
We play that modifications don´t take up slots. The best evidence that this is right is the complete lack of mount information in the weapon modification section.
Fortune
According to canon, all 'modifications' already included as standard with the weapon (or vehicle) do not count toward the Capacity for purposes of further modification.
jago668
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 25 2008, 03:27 AM) *
Revolvers are specifically addressed in Arsenal. They cannot use Standard silencers (even as a mod), but can use one of theose weord gas-catching bag things as a silencer.

Eh the way they work right now is this. You have to specially modify the cylinder to push a tube forward when a round is fired. So there is a solid seal between the cylinder and the entry of the barrel. Then just stick a normal silencer on the end of the barrel. Evidently some weaponsmith somewhere made two different types for use as sniper weapons. Since it would allow multiple shots without ejecting the casings. Chambered them to .30 caliber so it would look like the shot was from a rifle and thus made further away. I wish I could remember where I ran across that little article so I could link it. Was fairly interesting read.
Fortune
QUOTE (Arsenal pg. 155)
The standard silencer does not work with revolvers and other cylinder-fed weapons; however, a special revolver silencer modification is available for such weapons, installing gaskets and sealing the cylinder.

I don't know where I got the gas bag thing. I must have recently absorbed that from some other source. eek.gif biggrin.gif
jago668
Ziplock baggies man. Sure they are only single use, but what 25 come in a box and they have to be cheaper than a silencer. =)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012