Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisibility
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zak
This came up in our last session. There are variants of Invisibility for living beings and one that covers bother living being and objects.

Would it be reasonable to create a version only affecting cameras and the like? Doesn't have to be easier than Impr. Invisibility and it sure had its use.
Or is this not going to work out with the current magic rules?
coolgrafix
I'm not sure I'm following you. Could you restate the question?
Tobias
I think he means:

Can you design a spell which makes you invisble to cameras/sensors but visible to people?

I don't have any books with me at the moment so cant comment on the possibilities.
Zak
Sure,

we got Invisibility only affecting people's sight, but not cameras.
And we got Improved Invisibility affecting both.

So, what about a variant that only affects cameras?

Hope that was more clear.

Edit: Tobias got it right.
coolgrafix
Aha. Gotcha.

Check out page 158 of Street Magic. I don't see why you couldn't easily do what you want with the Spell Design system, though I haven't ground-checked this assumption. =)
Sponge
QUOTE (Zak @ Feb 26 2008, 12:28 PM) *
Sure,

we got Invisibility only affecting people's sight, but not cameras.
And we got Improved Invisibility affecting both.

So, what about a variant that only affects cameras?

The way the two existing forms work are like this:

The "person-only" form affects the person's mind directly - they simply think they don't see the subject. Obviously this doesn't work on cameras.
The "people and devices" form affects the physical world in such a way that the subject is not visible, which affects everyone and everything.

There are two ways I could see your variant working:

1. A combination of the two existing forms, i.e. the subject really isn't visible, but the people *think* it is. (yeah, it's weird smile.gif)
2. Affecting devices (and only devices) directly and somehow manipulating them such that they cannot see the subject. I think this is probably the harder of the two (as magic and tech don't work so well together).

But in theory, it should be doable.

DS
Nightwalker450
When you affect cameras only, thats the Hackers territory, and as such I wouldn't go for it with the Magic/Tech barrier in mind. The only way currently for mages to do this is by Projecting, and the Manifesting elsewhere, manifested beings do not show up on cameras. But you're not physically there.
Jaid
it would absolutely be possible using the spell design rules in SM. just give it limited target of cameras.

and remember to completely ignore the description of how improved invisibility works. that's just crazy talk, and it will only cause your head to implode.
deek
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Feb 26 2008, 03:10 PM) *
When you affect cameras only, thats the Hackers territory, and as such I wouldn't go for it with the Magic/Tech barrier in mind. The only way currently for mages to do this is by Projecting, and the Manifesting elsewhere, manifested beings do not show up on cameras. But you're not physically there.

I've always ran that Manifesting would be visible to people and cameras...same thing with Materializing...
jago668
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Feb 26 2008, 04:10 PM) *

What magic/tech barrier? There are cyberzombies running around. There is already an invis spell that works on cameras. So an invis that hits only cameras sure, why not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012