Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Erasing Astral Signature
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
deek
Question came up in our game last night. My mage asked me about erasing astral signatures, basically:

1) Can anyone erase a signature?
2) If yes, can a spirit erase a signature?
3) What range do you need to be at, i.e. just LOS?

I ruled that since RAW say "any magician" can erase a signature, that yes, he could erase someone else's (or vice versa), but it had to be an actual "intelligent" magician. So, not critters or spirits, etc. I debated about this, but for the quick ruling, that is what I went with.

As for range, seeing it said the magician had to be astrally perceiving, he did have to have LOS, but didn't have to physically be close to the spell effects.

So, what have others done, your experiences and comments are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Malicant
Street Magic page 55. Cleansing metamagic is what you are looking for.

Should answer more precise, I guess:

1) Seems so. Yes.
2) If it is considered a magician, sure.
3) I guess range would be "standing next to it", but that is just an educated guess.
deek
Well, that gives more insight to question 3). Mage has to be on-site as well as astrally perceiving or projecting...

Per RAW though, erasing a signature can be done by any magician and it takes "Force" Complex Actions to completely erase it.

I suppose it also answers 1), as anyone can erase an astral signature, i.e. so you are not limited to affecting just your own.

What about spirits and critters?
Jhaiisiin
Well, a "magician" refers to any being capable of full on spellcasting, so I'd say yes, spirits and critters, if they fulfill this requirement, would qualify under the "any magician" section.
Fortune
As far as I can see, any magician can erase his own signature, but it takes the Cleansing Metamagic to erase someone else's.
Kairo
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 26 2008, 02:20 PM) *
As far as I can see, any magician can erase his own signature, but it takes the Cleansing Metamagic to erase someone else's.

That's how I've always interpreted things.
deek
QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 26 2008, 03:20 PM) *

That makes sense to me, otherwise the Cleansing Metamagic is a lot less useful...

I think I'll also throw my player a bone and let anyone that has spellcasting, erase signatures...but IIRC, that means only a Spirit of Man, correct?
Mr. Unpronounceable
Spirits of Man don't have spellcasting, they can have the power: innate spell

Ally spirits can have spellcasting.
Whitelaughter
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Feb 27 2008, 08:07 AM) *
Spirits of Man don't have spellcasting, they can have the power: innate spell

Which they can use because they have the spellcasting skill.

Mind you, cleansing runs off the Counterspelling skill, which Guardian and Guidance Spirits have but Spirits of Man don't.
Ravor
Personally I'd never allow a Spirit or Critter to erase an Astral Fingerprint, they are one of the best ways to keep magic reigned in.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Whitelaughter @ Feb 27 2008, 01:54 AM) *
Which they can use because they have the spellcasting skill.

Mind you, cleansing runs off the Counterspelling skill, which Guardian and Guidance Spirits have but Spirits of Man don't.

whoops - you're right...for some reason I was remembering it as if it was strictly a power (2x magic), and not a power that lets them use the spellcasting skill they already have. Which is a definite argument in favor of spirits being able to overcast, as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012