Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Cyberpsychosis?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Turtle
From a FAQ about Shadowrun, a quote I found while googling for the topic...

CYBERWARE

(>) I've heard the word "cyberpsychosis" and want to know if it applies in
Shadowrun too.

Cyberware doesn't have an impact on your character's personality -- as
such, cyberpsychosis (violent behavior due to excessive cyberware
implants) does not exist in Shadowrun.
One side-effect of cyberware, though, is that people who interact with an
extensively cybered character may react negatively due to the character's
less-than-human appearance. However, this is a social thing and not
psychological.

Reference: Cyberware (pp. 60 & 296), Cyberware And Social Interaction (p.
93)

Now...just judging from all the characters I read about in the books and the stories...and the impression the whole essence/cyberware thing made on me since I started playing Shadowrun 12 years back...this sounds hokey.

What's your take on it? smile.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Turtle)
From a FAQ about Shadowrun, a quote I found while googling for the topic...

CYBERWARE

(>) I've heard the word "cyberpsychosis" and want to know if it applies in
Shadowrun too.

Cyberware doesn't have an impact on your character's personality -- as
such, cyberpsychosis (violent behavior due to excessive cyberware
implants) does not exist in Shadowrun.
One side-effect of cyberware, though, is that people who interact with an
extensively cybered character may react negatively due to the character's
less-than-human appearance. However, this is a social thing and not
psychological.

Reference: Cyberware (pp. 60 & 296), Cyberware And Social Interaction (p.
93)

Now...just judging from all the characters I read about in the books and the stories...and the impression the whole essence/cyberware thing made on me since I started playing Shadowrun 12 years back...this sounds hokey.

What's your take on it? smile.gif

In general, I think they're right but the phraseology is poor. The essence loss due to cyberware as well as the appearance creates a social aspect. However, since essence was first described to me as the measure of a character's "humanity" and since I've perhaps mistakenly continued to use that as a synonym, many of my players tend to perform random acts of brutality and violence that could be considered akin to a cyberpsychosis.

*shudder* recall the near-cyber-zombie in my last group breaking the necks of five garage mechanics while trying to find one of the other party member's stolen van */shudder*

cyber.gif Dashifen cyber.gif
Person 404
I don't think SR has full-blown cyberpsychosis (at least in the way that CP2020 seemed to), but I disagree with the statement that "Cyberware doesn't have an impact on your character's personality." For one thing, I could have sworn that there's a section in the main book that states that people with very low essence become increasingly detached from the rest of humanity. Even if this isn't in canon, there's no way that something like an encephelon or even a normal simsense rig leaves your personality unchanged. The transition from having tools outside of you to having tools that are a part of you, even aside from the issue of cyberware that interfaces directly with the brain on a large scale, is huge.

Defined as random, violent behavior due to excessive cyberware, cyberpsychosis in SR seems to only take place in animals implanted with cyber. However, at least in my game, a character that's heavily cybered is much less capable of empathy than an uncybered one, and hence much more likely to resort to violence or other methods of forceful persuasion to get what they want.

EDIT: Added closing quotation mark.
Ancient History
What they're basically doing is moving away from Talsorian's Cyberpunk 2020.

Few of the "classic" cyberpunk writers had characters so heavily endowed with cyberware of any type, but there usually was a certain alien element to each of them.

This sort of thing was actually really picked up in anime-Bubblegum Police, I think had a few episodes, like the lady with the cyber-womb/vagina and the phantom period...
Turtle
I always have to think of a comment Wolf made about Kid Stealth in It's all done with mirrors

After the second or third person dies in his jokes, he kinda loses me.

Looking at Kid Stealth, the heavily modified cyber-assasin, I think there was a pretty big dose of cyberpsychosis involved here grinbig.gif
FlakJacket
My take on it is that's what the rules say. smile.gif

But on a slightly more serious note, they kinda have something like that. Aside from the social penalties for having obvious and unusual cyber, if you have less than three essence IIRC, you get more penalties for interacting with people 'cause you creep them out.

What would be the benefit of ripping off the cyberpsychosis rules, from CP2020 I believe it is, having never played the game myself? From past experience and from what I've heard it generally just lead to all the cyber twinks playing chromed to the max samurai shooting anything that moves and then whining about how they're supposed to be all psychotic.

Although I suppose if you have players that can actually roleplay the situation and the whole taking away part of their humanity piece by piece then it could be interesting. Although then we're getting into Vampire territory. wink.gif

Edit: Damn. Really shouldn't write a reply and then leave it for twenty minutes to change the laundery before hitting submit. smile.gif
mckay421
Person 404...

What you are looking for is on page 52 (second column, third paragraph) of Man & Machine: Cyberware.

"Fourth, cymermantic subjects suffer severe mental detachment, apathy and general malaise, known as chronic disassociation syndrome."

I generally try to impress on characters with more than 2 points of cyberware that their characters are less human. What does less human mean? If a cybered character started out as a pratical joker they would slowly stop as they increased the amount of cyberware they are packing. Humor, love, hate, happiness, and so forth are emotional content that IMO a cyborg would not employ. Cyborgs should be precise, calculating, and in general a machine that is capable of independent thought and action. This is why regardless of how well concealed a character's cyberware may be...IN MY GAMES...characters with five points or more of cyberware are easy to spot simply by interaction with them.

And just in case you missed it...this is simply how I run it in my games which is in NO way meant to be taken as the only way to handle it.

John A. Schmidt
Ancient History
I thought Kid Stealth would have a sick sense of humor,w ith or without the cyber.

I did like the bit about cybereyes and Hatchetman in Cybertechnology, though.
Turtle
As they so nicely said in 1st Edition Core Rules

Low Essence folk walk the edge of sanity.

I don't mean players start to psychoanalyze their character's downfall from humanity, but a bit more than just saying "The Orc bouncer doesn't want to let you in because you look like a Varitech fighter" should be manageable, neh? smile.gif
Ancient History
Well, as they keep saying: it takes a certain something to get two perfectly good arms chopped off and replaced with metal.
Turtle
Mmmmhhh, yeah..that was Argent, wasn't she? biggrin.gif
Ancient History
"He" and he's not the only one.
Turtle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
"He" and he's not the only one.

Drat, got to read "Lone Wolf" again cyber.gif
White Knight
I think the whole point about Kid Stealth, as Ancient History said, is that he was like that anyway. It wasn't the cyberware that caused him to tell bad jokes or blow up spirit-ships, it was his personality that caused him to choose inhuman looking cyberlegs etc (and probably why he needed cyberlegs in the first place).

On the wider topic, I've always found the idea of cyberpsychosis and similar trends a bit silly. There's no real reason to think anything of the kind would happen. A fully chromed guy is likely to be more or less the same as any other. Of course, it would depend on the person's psyche and whatever caused them to require the cyberware, but by-and-large no change. Artifical limbs, peg legs, hooks and pacemakers are not noted for their psychosis-inducing properties, afterall, and cyberware is just a progression of the same principle. Cyberware is likely to be less traumatic, in fact, as it looks and acts like the original. Having talked to someone who actually had a machine attached to his central nervous system, all he noted was that he felt much closer to his computer - he felt it was part of him rather than a tool - no need to spray high-velocity lead around and certainly no loss of sense of humour.

If you want to make a dramatic point with humanity loss, well...there's nothing I can do to stop you as all my death squads are busy right now. However, if you're going to say it's realistic or should happen in some way can you explain your reasoning.
Turtle
QUOTE (White Knight @ Aug 19 2003, 11:12 PM)
Having talked to someone who actually had a machine attached to his central nervous system, all he noted was that he felt much closer to his computer - he felt it was part of him rather than a tool - no need to spray high-velocity lead around and certainly no loss of sense of humour.

And that is not a change in the behaviour of the affected human? question.gif
Ancient History
Kid Stealth blew his own legs off rather than sink in the concrete shoes he was wearing. This says omething about an inidividual.

But hey, anything can make people a little crazy. Who hasn't felt just a tad detached because they have to stare at the world through glasses?
Turtle
QUOTE (White Knight)
However, if you're going to say it's realistic or should happen in some way can you explain your reasoning.

I'm not saying it's realistic, even though your example has given me a nice point on what a guy might feel like after he simply has a datajack implanted and used his deck for too long...

What I'm saying, or asking, is that throughout the whole game as I know it the concept of people losing their humanity through integration of machinery, was a very prominent one, and why it wasn't expressed in some or other rule..and by now, denied.

And please...don't equalize loss of sanity or humanity with the simple urge to kill everything in sight...there are many more ways for that...even if I used Kid Stealth as an example. smile.gif
White Knight
QUOTE (Turtle)
QUOTE (White Knight @ Aug 19 2003, 11:12 PM)
Having talked to someone who actually had a machine attached to his central nervous system, all he noted was that he felt much closer to his computer - he felt it was part of him rather than a tool - no need to spray high-velocity lead around and certainly no loss of sense of humour.

And that is not a change in the behaviour of the affected human? question.gif

Yes, but not more so than becoming more involved with a football team, getting a pet or maybe even having a midlife crisis. Certainly nothing of the scale people are talking about. No psychotic violence or loss of emotion just because your arm came off an assembly line.

Edit: I used 'Psychotic Violence' just as an example as it was mentioned above.

With regard to the 'loss of humanity concept' - I really can't remember an example of this at the moment. Even the social penalties are a late addition, in order to provide some ame balance I believe. I haven't read everything yet but I'm sure Ancient History could comment on attitudes to cyberware (and possibly produce a webpage about it).
Turtle
QUOTE (White Knight)
Yes, but not more so than becoming more involved with a football team, getting a pet or maybe even having a midlife crisis. Certainly nothing of the scale people are talking about. No psychotic violence or loss of emotion just because your arm came off an assembly line.

Yeah, that may certainly be so..even if it'd already sound a bit weird to me if somebody told me he felt "closer to his computer"...and that's not even THAT high an essence loss.

Now try to imagine someone who has set himself up to become one with his car...completely. To feel his tires squealing on the asphalt...to feel the multifuel being injected into his motor...his headlights lighting the way, his sensors telling him there's a rocket coming his way...not just being attached to a car, but BEING a car...
Ancient History
QUOTE (White Knight)
I haven't read everything yet but I'm sure Ancient History could comment on attitudes to cyberware (and possibly produce a webpage about it).

Damn straight.
Artemus
I think it is very hard to say what the human brain would act like if put in a situation where most of the body it commands is cyberware and expands the senses beyond what the human brain handles normally.
Basically in my opinion it's a matter of willpower, some people might handle the transition ok, some might be overwhelmed by the whole experience (trauma from the surgery, new abilities and social interaction). These traumas might be too much for some people and they might flip out, become depressed or even lash out with violence. So I don't think that someone becoming violent after some major cyberware surgery is too far fetched, neither is a change in a person's emotions.
mckay421
Realistic...

That is a word that I generally don't apply to the following...

a) games
b) discussions about magic, elves, dragons, and so forth

Personal preference...

Now that seems to me more applicable.
As for my reasoning, in regards to the point in my previous post...personal preference. I don't want characters to load up on cyberware without some sort of roleplaying hook being applied. Does that mean its right? For me...Yes.

Kid Stealth...

I like Mike Stackpole he is incredibly cool/talented and I have enjoyed talking with him in the past. My personal preference regarding Kid Stealth is that I disavow his cyberware details in Wolf & Raven. Wolf & Raven really is a fun read...I laughed a great deal!

John A. Schmidt
Ed_209a
My personal feeling is that by 2050 the medical and technological difficulties of cyberware implantation will at least be under control, if not mastered. The predominant side effects will be psychological.

Getting cyber gives you abilities no metahuman could ever have otherwise. It gives you new ways to sense and react, which gives you new ways to think.

I don't see how you could help but gradually see yourself different from others, as they see you different from them. Regardless of how people see you, you see yourself, you might see yourself as a monster, risking depression. You might also begin to see yourself superior to the man-on-the-street, risking sociopathy.

In any event, radical augmentation makes you into your own metatype, in a world that loves to hate metatypes different from themselves. If an Ork is feared and hated for having 20% more body mass and tusks, what would they think of 50kg or metal and electronics stapled to your body? You are an alien in a inhospitable world.

Using this model, the "cost" of cyberware should be relative to it's appearance.

For example, a natural looking cyber leg should affect you less than a boosted obvious one, which in turn would be less than a non-human leg like a "Kid Stealth" leg. A prosthetic so natural you forget it isn't real should have no emotional cost at all.

In short, the scarier or more alien you look, act or feel, the more it effects your emotional state.

Thus endeth the sermon. Amen. wink.gif
snowRaven
There is a bunch of old flavor text that states people with low essence go crazy - the adventure elven fire had one such individual, and if i remember correctly it was strongly implied in several places that an essence of 0 made people borderline crazed maniacs, devoid of emotion (not quite that bad, but still

In fact, for years my players believed that something terrible might happen to their characters if they had an essence too close to 0, and no one ever dreamed of having a character who actually had essence 0. And this was not because of a house rule, or something I specifically told them (though I didn't discourage their beliefs)

I believe it was even suggested somewhere that some people would slowly whittle away and die from having a low essence (still above 0, that is)

Personally, I think it would affect you to replace significant parts of your body with mechanics, computers and metal. 'Passive' and 'invisible' cyberware - like bonelacing, blood filters, to some degree dermal plating - would not have that much effect, but once you start adding pieces you interact with, or where you plug things into yourself (datajacks, chipjacks) - those things I believe would leave an effect on your psyche. wobble.gif <-- hint
Herald of Verjigorm
As essense approaches 0, reality changes (as far as the cyber.gif is concerned). The individual knows that he has less and less in common with the average person on the street.

When essense reaches 0, death occurs except in cases where life is sustained or forced by magical causes.
Boondocker
I prefer a metaphysical/moralistic take on the impact of cyberware. cyberpsychosis would seem to me to go the wrong way... instead, I like the cyberzombie effect of being increasingly 'disconnected' from the world, in a social sense. All in all, I subscribe to the idea that cyberware is a trade-off; you can't have the inhuman advantages it gives without some loss of humanity.

In my mind, characters with essence below two would lose a degree of empathy with others... they'd be more introverted than they had been before (obviously this would vary depending on how the person acted when they were 'whole'), and perhaps less tolerant or more dismissive of other people. In those with essence of less than one (and very much so below 0.5) these effects would be pronounced. Their desire to get out and see other people would be minimal, their tolerance of others' company would be slim, and their sexual drive and need for human contact would be vastly diminished. (Actually, I always thought this would be a perfect ill-effect to hit those cybered munchkins with... "Okay, your cyber-samurai is one bad-ass mofo... but he has no interest in sex and couldn't get it up even if he forced himself to get into bed with a joygirl.")

Cyberzombies, of course, would represent the extreme of this behaviour, and those with essence over two would be minimally affected by the 'disconnectedness,' or not at all.

Just my take on it.
grimshear
All in all, I'd say this issue is one for the group/GM. Whatever they say goes. And here's a couple of examples:

1) One of my own characters (and name-sake) had .005 essence left at the end of his career (that's what TacCom's and VCR 3's will do to you, even at delta). He was more "human" at the end of his career then he was at the beginning. He started as a basic rigger, who had no morals... no "humanity." He would kill anyone if payed enough.

He then slowly added cyber, piece by piece. After the encephalon and a prototype Cerebral booster (and then the Mnemonic enhancers), he had a lot more brainpower to ponder things with. He considered who and what he was, and didn't like what he found. He thought himself lacking in a spark he saw in those around him, and struggled to kindle it within himself.

Eventually, he became a widely known philantropist and patron of the arts/underpriviledged. He "became human."

2) A different GM decided that he wanted a "darker" SR, so he devised some cyber-psychosis rules. Basically a character had "humanity points" to start with, and cyberware could reduce those points. A reduction in points could result in dissassociative psychotic episodes (ie fugue states) at times of stress and/or rest.

As players, we had several instances (before we worked out the nuances of the system) where the cyber users of the group would wake up soaked in blood or other such situations (the best was in prison on 4 counts of murder, and an additional 2 for killing the arresting officers) after a fugue kicked in during downtime.

What this system ended up doing was creating sammies with high willpower... and that's about it. As players, we didn't much like it, as it took control of our own characters somewhat out of our hands.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Grim Shear
"I wouldn't much mind cutting you up. Really, I wouldn't."
Hida Tsuzua
I've wondered about making a "essence Stress" system in which the stress is relieved though various side effects (from minor quirks to full blown detrachment from the world). I would use essence as the primary stats for tests and the like (Willpower might work but A.) Willpower is powerful enough already and B.) Just because you're willful doesn't mean you can't crack especially to something so metaphysical). If anyone is interested, I'll write it up sometime.
Boondocker
QUOTE (Grimshear wrote)

A reduction in points could result in dissassociative psychotic episodes (ie fugue states) at times of stress and/or rest.

lol... that doesn't exactly restrict the times this could occur. Basically it's any time the GM wants. smile.gif
Ed_209a
Perhaps not an essence attribute, but a social atttribute. One that describes how much you care about your fellow man.

This could be the downfall of the "I have no family or friends, I just kill people" 'runner background. A character like that is already so disassociated from people in general that it only takes a little more for total sociopathy and contempt for his fellow man.

Someone with people close to him will be more anchored in society, despite what his wired reflexes might tell him to the contrary.

This is an attribute that the player & GM would have to agree on, based on the background of the character.

Perhaps...

The Social score runs from 6 (thoroughly grounded in society) to 1 (I don't care enough about people to even hate them. They are insects.)

We might use this like a skill with the target based on the situation and a cyber value derived from how strongly, and how often the cyber "gets in the way"

For example, the cyber value (CV) of wired reflexes with a reflex trigger would have a lower CV than one without, because you are only out or synch with the world the few seconds you need to be. My cyber limb example in a previous post is the same situation.

If you fail your check, perhaps you lose .1 Social. Perhaps if your social score gets below something like 4, each point below is a penalty on all social tests.

Something to think about...
Lindt
Aye, I find essance a slightly, well, strange concept. I was trying to explain it to a new player once, and she was being a wiseass about it. Conversation as follows (roughly)
Me: This is your essance. Its a mesure of how much stuff you have in your body. It will go down when/if you get cyberware. *skip a bit brother...* Ok, cyberware.
Her: Hey, why does a VCR cost so much essance compaired to something like a leg? A VCR is just a little hunk of metal, and this is a 2 foot long major limb. What gives? And what about stuff like pacemakers?
Me: *explains roughtly what a VCR is* Its just got more connections, its trying to replace your brain stem after all.
Her: Ok, but then why does a datajack cost so little, thats connected to your brain too. What about this encphlon thingie, that looks like its REALLY connected. I could get one of those, and new legs to boot! But its still a lot less then that VCR.
Me: *dumbfounded* Umm... well its a mesure of how you think. *gives example of a drone rigger whos checking his mail, balancing his check book, ironing his socks, and doing a brake job on his van, all at once, and is still bored.*
Her: Oh, but the poor person who gets hit by a bus and needs new legs will think differently because of them?
Me: Ok, its a damm game balance thing... sheesh.

Its a reallt sticky issue. I kinda wish they had thought of a slightly different way of doing it from the getgo. *shrugs*
Glyph
I don't like cyberpsychosis, personally. I think cyberware can have all kinds of effects on a person, and that it will depend on both the cyberware and the personality of the person. Someone born and bred in an Ares enclave might have an Essense of less than 1, but still be able to sling beers with the guys, have a girlfriend, and otherwise function normally. A Salish soldier who had to get a hand replaced might have nightmares about the hand detatching itself and strangling him, and be unable to even aproach a girl because his monstrous metal hand makes him feel like a freak.

I think how a character reacts to his/her cyberware should be in the character background, just as any awakened character should put down how that character feels about having magical abilities. However, it should be something the character roleplays, not a set of arbitrary rules. I have run into rules like that, such as Horror Checks in the Ravenloft setting, and to me, they detract from roleplaying. There is too much variation - he could feel superior to the rest of humanity, she could resent these horrible implants that she had to take to keep up with the other runners, he could be a former amputee who is high on life now that he can walk again, she could be a killing machine from the Barrens who doesn't notice any difference because she is already an emotionally crippled psychotic. I prefer the SR Essense rules, because player reactions to their cyberware should be a roleplaying question.
DV8
Christus, people here are talking like they know for a fact what would happen when somebody would go in for extensive invasive cybernetic and neurological surgery.

From a purely psychological point of view, people going in for cybernetic surgery to the extent that's being discussed here, in this thread, will most likely come out with either a strong superiority complex, or an inferiority complex, depending on their view on cyberware.

No matter how you twist and turn the events, getting cyberware installed for any reason, leaves a person altered. Altered people, or people who are different stand out, which goes against the pretend-to-value-individuals-but-be-more-comfortable-among-a-crowd mentality of human beings.

If this, coupled with neurological damages done due to surgery, causes a full blown psychosis is up to the GM to decide. Personally, I like the idea of cyberpsychosis, and I try to implement it in my games, too. I don't do it through rules and regulations, but merely by creating awareness in my players.
annachie
QUOTE (mckay421)
Realistic...

a) games

Realistic has it's place with games, magic etc, but it would be more for internal consistency than anything else.

Does anybody remember that hand transplant last year? (or was it the year before) Any info on that guys feelings etc.
DV8
Anyone thinking that the hand transplant did not affect the patient is deluding himself.

Also, there's a different between a transplant with a prosthesis, and an actual full-fledged, operating hand, with Direct Neural Interfacing.
Turtle
For some info on that "hand transplant"...go here smile.gif

Hand transplant cut off again
White Knight
Well, that is a lot of opinions on the subject. Most come down to "that's just the way I like it" or metaphysics so I can't really argue (and the death squads are still busy). However, I still don't believe it's likely and can't really see much reason for it. The psychology of the individual pre-implantation and their attitudes to cyberware would be the main problems (as explained more eloquently by others above) but still not enough for a blanket disassociation from reality. IMHO, of course.

I still haven't found any examples of cyberpsychosis or similar problems in any Shadowrun product (except regarding cyberzombies which is a different matter). I haven't got all the adventures so I can't read Elven Fire, unfortunately.

On a few other points:
Realistic...

a) games

I actually try to achieve as much realism as possible. On one hand it saves work trying to figure out how things look, happen operate and so forth. On the other I think it makes the fantasy elements more acceptable and prop up the old 'suspension of disbelief' factor. I base this on the Star Wars movie and the Robin of Sherwood series. Briefly, because its OT, Star Wars despite all the wacky, impossible parts always seemed to me more realistic than a lot of other science fiction. I think this is because it has dirt (and other stuff too but dirt is important), dirt is largely absent from most science fiction but it adds a strong subliminal reality to the movie. Anyway, I now always strive for reality, realistic consequences and dirt.

Does anybody remember that hand transplant last year? (or was it the year before) Any info on that guys feelings etc.

I think he forgot to take the immuno-suppressants and the hand fell off (or similar). So his feelings on it may no longer be relevant.
grimshear
QUOTE (Boondocker)
lol... that doesn't exactly restrict the times this could occur. Basically it's any time the GM wants. smile.gif

And that Boodocker is exactly why we, as players, didn't like it that much. It basically came down to GM fiat to screw with us if he felt like it.

Amen to you Glyph. I have had very similar feelings on the issue.

Also, I found that Alternity had an interesting system of cyber-augmentation. The body could support a number of "cyber slots" equal to your "Body" stat. Yes this does mean that "tougher" people can support more cyber, but that's something of the point.

For each slot of cyber past the halfway point, you had to test to see if your body simply rejected the new piece of 'ware. A particular race, the Mechalus/Aleerin coule support significantly more cyber, but that's because they begin their augmentation before birth. They not only support more then normal, but they don't have to make tests to see about rejection.

Under Alternity, only a few pieces of 'ware can produce cyberpsychosis. They are very specific, interlinked (you have to get one before you can get the others), and looked upon as abnormal, even by groups that view full body skeletal replacement as par for the course. Each use of these pieces of 'ware prompts a test to see if you loose a "stability point."

You function normally as you loose "stability points," aside from some RP things like nightmares or slight twitchyness. When you have lost all your points, the character becomes an NPC. No questions asked, they are no longer a playable character.

I like the system because the characters themselves are completely aware of the effects of these systems. It's the "You got WHAT installed? Frag you buddy, I'm outta here!" thing, because if you get these systems and use them, eventually you will go nuts. It's just that simple.

Grim Shear
"Friends and enemies aren't really that different."
Fortune
I dislike the idea of manditory cyberpsychosis because it dictates how a player should play his character.

In my opinion, saying that all low-Essence characters will have cyberpsychosis is like saying all roleplayers will eventually end up like Tom Hanks in Mazes and Monsters. Some might, but some definitely will not. It all depends on the individual in question.
RangerJoe
It might be interesting to assemble a collection of IC/OOC accounts of cyberwear implantation/usage/effects for use as a guide for players and GMs. It could either live on an AH website or in another forum. I would be happy to contribute at least two very different accounts of how chrome changes the life of the implantee (I tend to play fairly well cybered characters).

Any interest?

This just seems like the rational thing to do as psychological issues tend to be treated as roleplaying matters, rather than rules, in SR.
sidekick
Cyber-Psychosis is a roleplayed thing. It can't be a set rule thing because insanity is a highly personal and individual thing.

One guy might have his entire world view redefined by getting a VCR 1. Maybe he likes being a car more then a person. He enjoys the feeling of the open road flying by beneath his wheels, etc etc.

On the other hand, another character shrugs off when she gets Muscle Replacement and Dermal Plating installed. She just views herself stronger and tougher, no big deal. So what if her skin now shrugs off small calibre rounds and she can rip a door of a car, it's nothing to write home about.

It all depends on the character. Now mind you, I generally view that cyber-ware can change your character, if nothing else in little ways. Maybe the character with headmem uses it to record down everything so he doesn't have to use his meat brain to remember it. Or maybe the character with VCR now treats his all items carefully since he knows what it's like to be an 'item'. Cyberware at minimum changes you, but no more then any other thing (ie, learning new abilities/skills, training to improve attributes, etc etc etc)
Turtle
Thing is, I wasn't really asking for set rules for a cyberpsychosis. What irked me is that, in that FAQ, and conversely in the whole new gamesystem, cyberware implantation is shrugged off as mainly a social "stigma", while it was cause for strange disorders of the mind in most of the game setting and flavour I know.

Of course, it is a matter of roleplaying it, that's nothing I would ever deny. Going the same route Ravenloft took with it's horror/terror checks would railroad a character beyond anybody's liking. The thing is that something should be roleplayed. I'm not asking for mass-murdering maniacs...but that example with muscle replacement is a nice one. How would you feel if all of a sudden, shaking your buddy's hand results in broken bones because you're not fine-tuned enough to your 50% more strength? Do you get more cautious? Do you feel more superior all of a sudden? Do you start laughing in a ganger's face when he threatens you with his pellet gun, because you have metal plates implanted under your skin now? Just some roleplaying...and some good, solid hints at what could happen with your psyche when you are more machine than human, except that you won't get into Dante's anymore because you look more like you belong in the new Terminator movie biggrin.gif
Cain
That's all a matter of individual roleplay, and not rules. It's up to the player, with the GM's active encouragement. I wouldn't make any rules saying cyberpsychosis had to be a certain way; I'd just let the players make it up on their own. More fun that way, IMO.
Abstruse
I believe personally that the cyberware you get should affect how your character behaves. Someone with a dual datajack, four slot chipjack, 500MP of headware memory, a CPU, Math SPU, etc. etc. would become more analytical and less emotional in his thinking. Most of his cognative tasks are routed through a computer. Besides, what is decision making if not calculating the odds of one outcome over another? With that sort of cyber, he would be using it a lot to mathematically decide the odds of what decision he's making. "Out of the last 106 times I ate at Tace Bell and got the Grilled Stuffed Burrito, 26 times I didn't like it, 14 times I had no opinion, and 66 times I liked it, therefore I will order it again."

Cybereyes are a big one for me though. Cameras, by their nature, bring a flatness to an image and digital cameras are limited by their pixils -- no matter how good it is, it's still only a bunch of dots being some combination of Red, Green, and Blue. Subconsciously, you'd notice this. You're not looking at someone while you're talking to them, you're looking at a TV with them on it. It's like life is a video game. This leads to a feeling of detachment. As (I believe) Ancient History said, read Hatchetman's story in Cybertechnology.

Basically, the more hardware you get crammed into your body, the less of your natural body is there. I don't care if you got your cyberarm when you wer 16. You had your natural one for sixteen years and your body as well as your brain grew accustomed to it. You're no longer receiving nerve impulses, you're receiving computer commands. Your biochemestry has been thrown off, your nervous system disrupted. This will definately lead to some mental imbalance. That's not your hand pulling the trigger, that's just a machine. Besides, you're not the one doing it, you're just watching a camera.

Don't forget other issues as well. If you have a lot of combat-oriented cyber, odds are you paid for it in blood -- most likely someone else's. No one gets a move-by-wire system so they can catch the train to the MCT building on time. They get it so they can move faster (and therefore shoot faster) than someone else. This indicates a prolonged experience in dealing out pain, misery, and death. This has very severe consequences speaking psychologically.

The Abstruse One
White Knight
QUOTE (Turtle)
cyberware implantation is shrugged off as mainly a social "stigma", while it was cause for strange disorders of the mind in most of the game setting and flavour I know.

What game setting and flavour? Are you referring to Shadowrun or another source of information? I ask as I cannot think of any Shadowrun reference to cyberware causing strange disorders of the mind. The closest is Hatchetman's spiel in Cybertechnology but, while interesting, this does not seem to premeate any edition of Shadowrun to the best of my knowledge.
White Knight
QUOTE (Abstruse)
I believe personally that the cyberware you get should affect how your character behaves.  Someone with a dual datajack, four slot chipjack, 500MP of headware memory, a CPU, Math SPU, etc. etc. would become more analytical and less emotional in his thinking.  Most of his cognative tasks are routed through a computer. 

Not necessarily, I do not believe that anyone has isolated the cause of emotions so they may not even involve the brain. Even if they do, the cyberware may not interfere with that part (or parts). Further, just being able to calculate to several decimal points does not render anyone more rational or emotionless - I'm sure there are people who can do this anyway but how much difference would having that ability closer to hand be than, say, carrying a calulator and notebook around.

Cybereyes are a big one for me though.  Cameras, by their nature, bring a flatness to an image and digital cameras are limited by their pixels -- no matter how good it is, it's still only a bunch of dots being some combination of Red, Green, and Blue.  Subconsciously, you'd notice this.

I actually agree with the cybereye effect. However, the human eye itself uses rods and cones in much the same way as technological pixels. In fact, light itself is quantised so all vision is pixellated at a certain degree of definition. Mere pixellation is not going to be a problem, merely the severity and I would expect superior (beta/delta) quality cyberware to be as good or better than the human eye. The flatness you mention, I believe, would be removed my normal stereoscopic application of two cybereyes in unison.

I don't care if you got your cyberarm when you were 16.  You had your natural one for sixteen years and your body as well as your brain grew accustomed to it.

Studies (that I can't remember the references for at the mo) suggest that the human brain is plastic and will quickly become adapted to new input and output. Immobilised stroke victims have had brain implants that allow them to mentally use a computer (in much the manner of a thought-controlled mouse). The brain changed itself to use this new system (and before anyone jumps on that, by change I meant it chaned shape to be able to use it rther than made a difference to the patient beyond the effects of the stroke and recovery).

You're no longer receiving nerve impulses, you're receiving computer commands.

In order to work properly, this would be indistinguishable. Shadowrun cyberware seems to use the existing infrastructure as much as possible and it will need to interface with natural components too. For this to happen the cyberware is going to have to operate on the same signals (digital pulses made by shifting levels of potassium and sodium salts) or utilise Neural to Binary Convertors at the interface points. Either way, there will be no objective difference.

That's not your hand pulling the trigger, that's just a machine.  Besides, you're not the one doing it, you're just watching a camera.

This would depend on the point of view of the user. There is no major mechanical difference between meat-actuators or microhydraulic-actuators moving the finger that moves the trigger. Any difference will be entirely subjective and so will vary between different people.

If you have a lot of combat-oriented cyber, odds are you paid for it in blood -- most likely someone else's.  No one gets a move-by-wire system so they can catch the train to the MCT building on time.

Well, odds are you paid for it with nuyen. Less obtusely, you are probably getting to you can spill blood, not necessarily because you have before. There are more ways than wetwork to earn money as a Shadowrunner. One person may get move-by-wire because their spinal cord was servered by a cortex bomb and they needed a replacement (Hello, Red Wraith). Another may be a basketball player, or any sport, and needs that edge to be the best. Move-by-Wire does not just mean how many bullets you can put into someone before they notice and the principle extends to all the other pieces of cyberware. Someone manufactures and markets this stuff afterall and the shadows are not big enough market to support it alone.

Not that I disagree with everything you said but there are other factors to bare in mind before saying that something is certain.
D.o.d.d.
This is just giving out the name for the anime Anchient History was talking about WAAAAAAAY up top. The anime was 'AD Police' which was a prequel to 'Bubblegum Crisis'. Both are very good examples of the 'Cyber psychosis' discused here. In fact, it's to the point that by the time BGC happens, cyber mods have fallen by the wayside due to several very publicised incidents of it...

Now back to the previously schedualled thread. wink.gif
MrSandman666
I guess it really depends on how thoughtful your character is. However, I tend to play it that characters think more about their body once they start augmenting it. That's just the way I perceive to be natural. I know I would be totally wasted when I have too many implants. Hell, I even feel detached because of my contacts sometimes! (doesn't happen often, though)
I would imagine that a datajack wouldn't do much to me but cybereyes would be a major factor. Any replacement of bodyparts would be a major issue for me. Add-ons wouldn't be that big of a problem, though I would always find them disturbing. And what would disturb me even more is if somethings wired between my brain and the rest of the body. I couldn't stand the thought of a computer controlling my body, even if it was me controlling the computer. Of course, severity varies greatly, depending on how big of an impact the implant has on my daily life. If I just had some nervous tissue replaced I guess it wouldn't be too much of a problem. However, if I knew that my thaughts where routed through a computer in my brain, I would go totally nuts! Freedom of thaughts is one of the absolute essentials to my life. If I had a mathematics processor sitting there filtering out any calculation I do I wouldn't consider my thoughts my own any more.
However, I think this is a matter of getting used to it. If I lived with it for a few months I would probably still feel strange about it but I would accept it.

(Now that was probably the most useless post in my internet-career ohplease.gif)

And then again I agree whole-heartetly with everyone on the fact that you can't put this into rules. It has to be roleplayed. But I would think it to be quite a challenge for most players. Especially newbies, who still view this like a board game ("roll-players")
schnee
would seem to me to go the wrong way... instead, I like the cyberzombie effect of being increasingly 'disconnected' from the world, in a social sense.

Many psychoses have that very characteristic as a foundation.

Thing is, I wasn't really asking for set rules for a cyberpsychosis. What irked me is that, in that FAQ, and conversely in the whole new gamesystem, cyberware implantation is shrugged off as mainly a social "stigma", while it was cause for strange disorders of the mind in most of the game setting and flavour I know.

Shadowrun has been getting 'lighter' as the cyberpunk genre has been getting left behind in sci-fi literature. IMO it's a bit more sophisticated in some ways, since 'Rock Star' is no longer a character archetype (whoa you're a cool rocker changing the world with your songs fight the POWER). I think there might be a degree of not encouraging power munchkin unstoppable cyber psychos that kill the hell out of anyone they want (OMG he has all this cyber and he's crazy, I'm just roleplaying, I shoot him LOL).

It also may be a degree of cutting all but the essential flavor text from the games to get the page count down so they can sell the books... printing ain't cheap, and it's a competitive game market. I also appreciate the brevity and efficiency of the new layouts, since my Shadowrun books only take up 6" of shelf space and were quite affordable... having full pages for each gun is an 80's relic.

So, like anything else, there are probably a LOT of factors that went into it, and we'll never really know. FWIW, I don't let the lack of canon text stop me from adding it to my characters or my game world...the joy of House Rules.
Turtle
QUOTE (schnee)
... having full pages for each gun is an 80's relic.

Heh...so am I, apparently wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012