Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some Rules Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nefacio
Hello to all and gratz to whoever did this forum, its awesome.

I used to play a lot of SR3, now Im playing a fresh SR4 campaign, and I decided to try the new class this version comes with... mystic adepts.
Our dear GM let us start with Foci bonds, my first question is which is the total maximum (if there is any) of Force from all Foci that I can might bond with. I know I can have actives number of Foci equal to "logic" score but I want to know which is there is a maximum Foci I can bond with and if appropiate the maximum total Force of the Foci bonded. If this depends on the Magic attribute score, another question for mystic adepts will be if its either the total Magic score or the points destinated to adept powers/Magician.

Second question, concerning adept power "Atributte Boost", what do I need to expend to use it? is it a free action, simple or complex? If Im not glad with the roll, can I re-boost the atributte?

Thx in advance to whoever repply this.

Regards
Nef
Glyph
For foci, the total force of all foci is limited to 5 times the character's Magic attribute at character creation (pg. 85). The maximum number of foci that you can have bound is equal to your Magic attribute (and only one foci can add its Force to any single dice pool) (pg. 191). As far as mystic adepts - the split Magic is used for Magic-based skills for the mage side, and power points for the adept side. For all other purposes, the character's full Magic rating is used (pg. 186-187).

Attribute boost (pg. 187) is a simple action. Once activated, it runs for its duration, then you resist Drain. You can't re-do it, but if you are not glad with the roll, you have the option of spending Edge (to either add exploding Edge dice, or to re-roll the failures).
Abbandon
-pg 85 Foci: The total force of all your foci is capped at magic attribute x5. (Magic Attribute - Power Points = your magic attribute for this according to the sr4 FAQ on shadowrun4.com)

-pg187 boost: simple action to activate. You roll your PP devoted Magic attribute + Boost rating. Later you resist drain = to your boost rating. Sure you could keep casting boost until you get a number you like. Each time you would take a simple action though and each one would cause drain. I would just make you roll for drain before you reactivate it instead of worrying about when the 50 different boost spells you cast to get the one you like will end lol.
ArkonC
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 28 2008, 09:14 AM) *
-pg 85 Foci: The total force of all your foci is capped at magic attribute x5. (Magic Attribute - Power Points = your magic attribute for this according to the sr4 FAQ on shadowrun4.com)

Isn't there an exception for weapon foci on this since adept can bond those?
Abbandon
yes pg85 also says adepts can only bond to weapon foci....

[SR4 FAQ]
Though mystic adepts must split their Magic between Magic-based skills and adept powers, it says that for all other purposes, including the limits of adept powers, the mystic adept uses his full Magic attribute. Does this mean that a mystic adept with Magic 6 who has allocated 2 points to Magic skills and 4 points to adept powers can cast Force 6 spells without flinching?

The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills. This includes: Magic-linked skill tests (Summoning, Spellcasting, Enchanting, etc.), overcasting, and maximum spell Force, for example.

For power points and Magic when used by adept powers, only the points allocated towards adept powers apply. This includes Attribute Boost Tests and the like.

For all other purposes -- i.e., non-Magic-linked skills -- the mystic adept's full Magic attribute is used: pressing through astral barriers, initiation grade limit, Masking metamagic, and so on.

So in the example above, the maximum Force he can cast at is 4, and anything over Force 2 is Physical Drain.

Since mystic adepts can use power foci, do the bonus dice from power foci also apply to any Magic Tests called for by an adept power?

Yes, they would apply to any test that calls for Magic dice.
Abbandon
Hmmm I guess Glyph was right. Your not casting magic so a mystic or adept would use their full magic attribute for determining bonded foci...
ArkonC
Let me clarify, since you seem to miss the point...
6 magic, 4 in Mage, 2 in Adept, so he can bond 20 Force of Foci, but since and adept can normally only bond weapon foci, does those 2 point attributed to the adept side count towards binding weapon foci?
I hope you understand...

EDIT: well, the point is moot it seems...
Abbandon
A mystic adept with magic 4 and pp 2 can bond 30 points worth of foci(6x5). A mystic adept can bound any type of foci he wants. A pure adept could only bond 30 points worth of weapon foci lol.
Nefacio
Thx for the quick answer. Btw I read the FAQ and as I understand from this, concerning to foci a mystic adept will use his full magic atributte. However on boost atributte it says it will roll dices equal to the ones alocatted for adept powers (+ the power level), and it can be increased by power foci, since it uses magic.

Quote:
The Magic points allocated towards Magic-based skills counts for all aspects of those skills. This includes: Magic-linked skill tests (Summoning, Spellcasting, Enchanting, etc.), overcasting, and maximum spell Force, for example.

For power points and Magic when used by adept powers, only the points allocated towards adept powers apply. This includes Attribute Boost Tests and the like.

For all other purposes -- i.e., non-Magic-linked skills -- the mystic adept's full Magic attribute is used: pressing through astral barriers, initiation grade limit, Masking metamagic, and so on.
Nefacio
QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 28 2008, 05:37 AM) *
A mystic adept with magic 4 and pp 2 can bond 30 points worth of foci(6x5). A mystic adept can bound any type of foci he wants. A pure adept could only bond 30 points worth of weapon foci lol.

yeap, totally agree with u, this is the way I understand is meant to be.

btw, Bond to Power Foci is a bit overpowered when used on this way, at least as far as I see it a Mystic Adept with the full Magic atributte expent on Adept powers is better than a normal Physical Adept, since it can bond to weapon and power Foci and gets extra dices on Attribute Boost. This only cost 5 extra BP.
Imo Adepts should be able to bond with Foci that affects their powers. I think there is something on this in Street&Magic, not 100% sure about it.
Falconer
Look at the text under mystic adept. It should ONLY be allowed by players who actually intend to explore their characters mystical side.

There are 2 reasons I've seen so far for this caveat.
!. Limiting abuse of the 'counterspell' skill. Nothing stopping an adept from taking mystic adept just so he can take counterspell as a skill rather than spend PP on it.
2. A mystic adept who has 1 point spent on his 'magic spellcasting'. Is actually 15BP behind a standard adept with the same powers (+5 more for upgrade to mystic adept, and +10 more for upgrade to magic+1 or +25 more for maxing out the rating)

3. A mystic adept with any spellcasting/summoning ability is actually even farther behind the basic adept as he needs to spend BP to raise at least 1 or 2 skills bound to his magic attribute which the normal adept never needs bother about such as starting spells known, summoning, binding, etc. By the time we're done, the mystic adept is 30-40BP behind the straight adept... which is a pretty significant head start.

As much as I've tried to powerbuild the mystic adept... I've found that this is a case where the authors did a very good job of keeping them balanced. Even with a power focus, the mystic adepts dice pool is only about the same as a unboosted starting spellcaster. Even with the power focus has fewer and generally less potent powers than the straight adept. The power focus merely allows for a FEW powers to manage to augment through equipment and be slightly better on those, but they're still fundamentally limited by having fewer powers/power points than the straight adept. Also due to the totalng of the magic attribute future raises and initiations are more costly and the mystic adept tends to advance more slowly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012