Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mobile Medical Shop
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
raverbane
I looked through Arsenal and did a PDF search, as well as a search here but cant find an answer.

Has anyone posted or figured out Arsenal stats for the MMS? ie, the Slots, Threshold and Tool
Jaid
i don't think it's a vehicle mod, anymore than filling up your trunk is a vehicle mod.

it's just a bunch of stuff that you put inside the vehicle.
nathanross
Ill look up the stats in a sec. I usually think of them as fitting in either a Utility Van or larger. If you have ever seen a Snap-on or Mac tool truck thats what I would really expect it to be. Of course with nano-forges (or was it something else?) now you can take your facility on the go. devil.gif
Earlydawn
Yep, I consider the shops to be roughly van-sized.
ArkonC
QUOTE (Earlydawn @ Feb 29 2008, 02:28 AM) *
Yep, I consider the shops to be roughly van-sized.

Yup, that's what I figured, something ambulance sized of maybe a bit bigger...
DocTaotsu
There are various classes of ambulances (ambulancae?). Without getting into unnecessary details they can be roughly broken down into three classes. The smallest of these classes is a passenger van with an extended roof to allow paramedics/emts to shuffle awkwardly while attending to patients.

Anyways the kind of gear you fit into an ambulance is about what I'd consider an "emergency medical" shop. To be fair I think you'd have to choose between "Emergency", "Cybernetic", and "Bioware". But that's more homebrew than actual rules.
ArkonC
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 29 2008, 05:23 AM) *
There are various classes of ambulances (ambulancae?). Without getting into unnecessary details they can be roughly broken down into three classes. The smallest of these classes is a passenger van with an extended roof to allow paramedics/emts to shuffle awkwardly while attending to patients.

Anyways the kind of gear you fit into an ambulance is about what I'd consider an "emergency medical" shop. To be fair I think you'd have to choose between "Emergency", "Cybernetic", and "Bioware". But that's more homebrew than actual rules.

Now, but considering how advanced even medkits are in 2070, I'd say having an OR in a van is perfectly reasonable...
It should be noted that trying surgery while driving is like walking into a Hell's Angels bar and shouting "I hear you guys have really small dicks!", aka a bad idea... wink.gif
DocTaotsu
Well having an OR in your van is more than reasonable, especially with drones. But I think that doing cybernetic/bioware maitenance and repair might be significantly different than stabalizing a patient or doing basic surgery. I erm... have thought about this a lot wink.gif I've got like reams of shit I could type up about what I think medical tech will be like in 60 years. But I'll spare you all for another time and thread.
Kanada Ten
Implant Medic Nanites would be expensive to stock, but I don't see them taking up a lot of space.
DocTaotsu
Well the issue is what exactly do we not use anymore? My rig has 6 pages of stuff that needs to get checked everyday and I'm not sure how much of that would get significantly smaller.

Automated External Defribillator and ProPaq vitals machine: Pretty sure these things would be combined into a roughly dip can sized instrument. That saves a bit of room.

Suction Unit: I'm at a loss as to how this can get much smaller. I'm sure the actual pump could get small as hell but you still need a nice big jug to store all those... juices you pull out of people.

Stretcher: This is a big one. Especially when you need to take into consideration trolls and orks (orks who should be dropping like flies now that they're in their 40's). I'm sure building a lightweight space age stretching isn't a problem, but you'd have to have some sort of mechanical assist to get the damn thing up and into the vehicle. Again, shouldn't be a problem in 60 years. The larger issue is in getting a vehicle large enough to fit someone who's fragging big and tall. You're medical shop basic equipment might fit in a duffle bag but having some place to put a troll patient would pretty much demand that you buy a step van.

Splints, bandages, and other expendables: I'm sure they'll have cooler hacks for these in the future, hell we have them now. Bandages that promote clotting, splints with sensors that feed you live telemetry when you try splint a fracture to slow bleeding, etc etc. With all these doodads though, I'm not sure if they'll exactly get much smaller than they are now. That said I'd love to have a roll of "Smart bandages" that's swarming with medichines and is as easy to work with as duct tape. So maybe all those drawers full of different sized bandages is replaced with a couple rolls of human tape. Hmm.... that actually would be pretty cool.

In general I think that the ambulance is going to stay about the same size and have the same storage space, I just think it's going to have a lot more capacity to perform procedures that have historically been reserved for a hospital setting. Jars of nanopaste drugs would certainly save a lot of room. However, Cybernetics and bioware are specific enough fields that your basic van field hospital isn't going to have the storage room to hold all that, and a bag of chips. IMHO.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 28 2008, 11:35 PM) *
I erm... have thought about this a lot wink.gif I've got like reams of shit I could type up about what I think medical tech will be like in 60 years. But I'll spare you all for another time and thread.

Me too. Of course, since it's a game I felt that things had to be simplified to the point where people who had no medical knowledge could use them. When I wrote the section in Augmentation, my goal was to make something more usable than the medical rules in Man & Machine. Any realism I could wring out of he rules was a plus, but secondarily slaved to my primary goal of making something that could be used in actual games by people who weren't necessarily statisticians or medical professionals.

Suffice it to say that the "Ambulance" is generally considered a Mobile Medical Shop. Meaning that it is a Rating 8 MedKit. I know full well the distinctions between a BLS and an ALS ambulance, as well as the difference between a box rig and an ambulance van - but it's a game that's also for people who don't know what those words mean - movie logic essentially. At a certain point you just have to take a deep breath and let your subject knowledge go in favor of playability.

In general I think that the ambulance is going to stay about the same size and have the same storage space, I just think it's going to have a lot more capacity to perform procedures that have historically been reserved for a hospital setting.

Pretty much. Heck, on doctor's orders I once participated in running a line on a woman's heart in the back of an ambulance sitting on the runway of an airport. Straight bullshit from my perspective, but in the future I imagine that will be more normal.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012