Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancer questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
clangedinn
I hail from older editions of SR. These little buggers are a bit new to me. After reading over thier section in the rule book it seems that they are pretty much "mage" deckers/riggers. Am i correct in this assumption?

Tell me something on sprites. they seem like spirits pretty much. Can i "summon" a sprite and ahve it drive a drone for me? or will it only assist with that? Are sprites, much like spirits, completely independent entities, or are they truly a program in which the TM can utilize them without any resistence?

In theory could a TM using sprites be decking into the local system, while controling a drone, while keeping the groups communication and ar going and still be able to comprehend what is going on around him? as in do they ahve the downfall that deckers and riggers do of the limp body syndrome?

I am sure i will pop out more questions as I read more and most of these are probably in other threads but none of the TM threads are easy to find nor easy to read for specific data. It all seems like theroycraft in most of the tm thread so sorry if i am reposting already answered questions.
Abbandon
"Tell me something on sprites. they seem like spirits pretty much. Can i "summon" a sprite and ahve it drive a drone for me? or will it only assist with that? Are sprites, much like spirits, completely independent entities, or are they truly a program in which the TM can utilize them without any resistence?"

-summon = compile
-A drone already has a driver called a pilot program, it would be redundant to ask a sprite to take over unless it was a higher rating. But it IS possable. Sprites "helping out" = threading and I would have to reread that section before I could tell you if you can thread a sprite to help a Pilot program(off hand i would say no since the pilot program of the drone is capped by its matrix attributes and stuff)
-Sprites behave exactly as you tell them to but you do roll "drain" called fading that results from threading and compiling and maybe a few other things. Otherwise once they show up they owe you an amount of services that they will do to the best of their abilities.

"In theory could a TM using sprites be decking into the local system, while controling a drone, while keeping the groups communication and ar going and still be able to comprehend what is going on around him? as in do they ahve the downfall that deckers and riggers do of the limp body syndrome? "

-A hacker/techno could be doing that solo without agents/sprites but if they get attacked in a node that are not currently looking at they cant defend against it. With agents or sprites yeah it woul be easy because you can give commands to your agents/sprites
-Hackers/Rigger dont have to go limp and neither do Techno. There is AR where things happen at meat body speeds, and then VR where physical attributes are replaced. You no longer HAVE to use VR to hack, although it can give you bonus's that you need and or extra IP's if you dont have the cyber.

I'd have to reread the techno section to tell when they can use AR and VR. They probably mainly go VR cuz they dont have synap boosters or wired reflexes.
Abbandon
-Hmmm this is iffy. A machine Sprite has the power of Diagnosis. It can make a ratingx2 test and each hit gives +1 to the person using or repairing it... That sounds like a 50/50 argument on whether or not that would apply to a Pilot program... I guess I would allow it...

-Hmmm damn vague rules. Well they said Techno's basically have a organic commlink and sim module. Taking that into an account that means they can have matrix windows open in their field of vision and adjust them any way they like. They can have any simsense signals overlay their normal senses just like anyone else using a commlink+sim mod. Seems like it would be hard to "filter" the signals like non techno can but adjusting the settings on their commlink so they dont have smell or taste or feel spam advertisements but whatever...

Oh yeah..I am trying to find out if AR users suffer a -2 to meat world actions. I think so. If your VR you can make an extreme push to sense with your meat body sense but you are at -6.
clangedinn
Man i need to brush up on matrix rules then. Back when i used to play a decker actualy placed his whole "mind" into the matrix using his deck thereby making him a target due to not know what was going on around tehm same as a rigger entering a drone. So drones can now pilot themselves and shoot guns and all that jazz? If the drone is autonomous what stops any normal joe from using one?

Thank you for the speedy replies. I ahve never played this type of character and am going to hit a con next week and hoping to ahve one built to play there.

It seems like i really need to reread the matrix section as it seems it has changed quite a bit from what i am used to.
Abbandon
Yeah the matrix drastically changed. It has gone mostly wireless now, and people can interact with it without going virtual. Think about wearing a pair of glasses and having a little window inside that displays the matrix as big or tiny as you want in your field of vision but its transparent and see through and you can close the window or bring it up whenever you want. Its kinda like just playing a video game now.

You can still go VR though and even get extra dice or easier tests while doing it but then you are vulnerable to getting hit with Hammer programs that can knock you out cold or even kill you depending on whether or not your running Cold or Hot.

But not all places can be reached wirelessly so now your hacker ass has to go on the runs and get shot at lol.

The only thing stopping people from jacking drones are PAN connection set ups, programs, Agents/Sprites, The rigger. And even with all that you could still hack through it all and get at the drone.
clangedinn
holy cow alot of changes!!!

Ok so i could feasably build a TM that is a hacker/rigger and be decent at both? albet not amazing but at least decent and capable. If I was to go that route would i be looking at a character with no real skill other then rigging or decking or what are the cahnces i can get a decent firearms skill to at least cover my butt.

Arg i hate being stuck at work with no books when my brain starts moving.

Though this new matric will definatly take some getting used to. Though it seems that they are attempting to eliminate that riger/decker are not really on the runs tuff which is awesome as dealing with those character specfically when GMing always took so mcuh time away from the rest of the group.
Abbandon
THey havent tried to eliminate they have tried to bring them more in line with everyone else. Now you can hack stuff while the rest of the team is fighting and neither group has to wait on the other.

Yeah you can be good at both hacking and rigging. Riggers exclusive characters usually have mechanical skills and gunnery skills. If you mix a hacker and rigger together you will usually have to have low or no mechanical skills. I have a cybered up hacker that would probably be a good baseline for you of a mix....

[ Spoiler ]
Abbandon
For the best programs, a commlink, and an R4 agent and your looking at 99k right there..

I took a control rig to help me rig a drone when i want to. If I go VR I get another boost to controlling drones. (but this will make you vulnerable to dumpshock if the drone gets geeked).

I took skillwires to pick up some skills I couldnt take with BP. Activesofts max out at 5 though and you cant spec those skills which makes them worse than real skills. They also cant be boosted with magic. But R3 skills(max at character gen) = 2bp instead of real skills that would cost 12bp. The problem is you can only run so many at a time and those BP's for active softs come out of your gear section.

I didnt take any drones cuz I figure I will be taking everyone elses lol. But modding out drones can be expensive to.
b1ffov3rfl0w
Isn't a rating 4 agent impossible for starting characters (Availability 16 or something)?
Fortune
QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w @ Mar 7 2008, 04:02 PM) *
Isn't a rating 4 agent impossible for starting characters (Availability 16 or something)?

No. A Rating 4 Agent has an Availability of 12.
suppenhuhn
just for clarification a technomancer has to go hot sim VR if using his ability, he has to use a comlink like a normal hacker in order to just go AR. (p. 233 The Living Persona)
Also if you want to go rigging technomancer you should consider spending 1 point of essence for the control rig which is really useful.
ArkonC
QUOTE (suppenhuhn @ Mar 7 2008, 10:47 AM) *
just for clarification a technomancer has to go hot sim VR if using his ability, he has to use a comlink like a normal hacker in order to just go AR. (p. 233 The Living Persona)
Also if you want to go rigging technomancer you should consider spending 1 point of essence for the control rig which is really useful.

Technomancers can do AR, what you are referring to states that they cannot go cold when going full...

QUOTE (BBB p. 233)
Note that when technomancers immerse themselves in full-VR, they are always considered to be running with hot sim (see p. 229).
suppenhuhn
oopsie my bad embarrassed.gif

well nonetheless consider getting cybered a bit as you'll also need a datajack or sthing like that to be able to store information you download.
ArkonC
QUOTE (suppenhuhn @ Mar 7 2008, 11:13 AM) *
oopsie my bad embarrassed.gif

well nonetheless consider getting cybered a bit as you'll also need a datajack or sthing like that to be able to store information you download.

Actually, I think this is also wrong, though I'm eating and I can't be bothered to look it up now... smile.gif
All you need is storage space, you can wirelessly transmit any data on your mind to the storage device...
Not 100% sure about this one though...
suppenhuhn
*cough*
mebbe i'll better don't say anything anymore here wacko.gif

*runs away*
ArkonC
And here it is:
QUOTE (BBB p. 233)
Technomancers have no form of organic storage memory whatsoever, so if they want to download a file, they need to mentally transfer it to a physical storage device.
quentra
Technos are pretty much walking commlinks. They have no real need of a commlink, besides getting around in life, and storage. Also, TMs can't go cold sim VR, if they go VR, then they're running hot. Poor bastards.
ArkonC
QUOTE (quentra @ Mar 7 2008, 02:29 PM) *
Technos are pretty much walking commlinks. They have no real need of a commlink, besides getting around in life, and storage. Also, TMs can't go cold sim VR, if they go VR, then they're running hot. Poor bastards.

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I said...
quentra
Oh, heh. I'm guessing I should read posts before mine...nyahnyah.gif
Malicant
Don't worry too much, on Teh Internets reading is highly overrated. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012