Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Security System Rigger
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nightwalker450
This last weekend I went with a friend to assist in some ghost hunting. I was there to show them how to work their new Infrared Camera System. But while sitting there and monitoring these 4 cameras that allow me to see these rooms and hallways better than the people that are actually in them my mind drifted to shadowrun.

In the matrix section it briefly mentions how a rigger could effectively "rig" in the security system. His eyes are the cameras, his touch is the trip sensors, doors, and ultrasound sensors. And I realized by placing a few turrets in here you have a pretty awesome set up for a high tech corp. So here's the questions...

What is the test to "Sense" the building? Does he suffer from trying to view multiple things, or if this building is rigged fully in VR is his perception just the building. A machine mind will just flag the alerts, or could even be spoofed/fooled, but a rigger can react instantly and the fully wired building can't be accessed or spoofed easily with him in it.

Does he take damage for them shooting at cameras? If so how much... I'd only take it as maybe 1 or 2 damage if any at all. Riggers don't take damage for blown tires, or shot out sensors in a vehicle, only actual body damage to the car.

If part of the rigged system are various turrets, it wouldn't require anything for him to make use of the turrets, though he'd be limited by the number he could use, unless I could split a ridiculus gunnery pool amongst 3 or 4 turrets all firing at a wide full burst.

This is of course nothing that a runner could really make use of, but basically this is what Deus had in Arcology. A hard nut to crack, but then again if the teams rigger can find a way to unseat the building rigger... There's some major potential there for mayhem, and control. I'm sure he'd have a rigger cocoon buried somewhere he was doing this from.
Earlydawn
Security Rigging rules are coming in Unwired, presumably with changes and/or alterations. You can still find rules in Rigger 3 that you might be interested in carrying over if you don't want to wait, though. smile.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Mar 3 2008, 02:08 PM) *
What is the test to "Sense" the building? Does he suffer from trying to view multiple things, or if this building is rigged fully in VR is his perception just the building. A machine mind will just flag the alerts, or could even be spoofed/fooled, but a rigger can react instantly and the fully wired building can't be accessed or spoofed easily with him in it.
You can look at biodrones in Augmentation for an idea of how the building's senses would be translated into something the rigger can perceive, however, it all comes down to a sensor test.

But riggers are vulnerable to spoofing and being fooled, just as much so - if not more - than any normal system, through the use of hacking. Once a device is compromised, false data can be fed into the system, including Blackhammer attacks and so on. Obviously, a secure system could be hardwired (both rigged and non) to limit susceptibility, but this is still no more secure than any hardwired security platform.

I'm much more interested in using AR and tiered networks with limited wireless access, to turn every secguard into a sensor suite: have every squad include a sechacker, allowing them to control turrets and read sensors in limited zones; preventing any one group from controlling the entire compound.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012