Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barrett M107 article in Wired
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
coolgrafix
Thought this was topical...
WearzManySkins
IIRC there is a .416 caliber sniper rifle that the Ballistics "Palm Pilot" also took into account the rotation of the earth for the final firing solution.

Biggest built "sniper/hunting" rifle I have fired was a custom built .375 H & H Magnum, optimized of open county Elk hunting, it did not kick, it shoved one's shoulder.

To fire more than one round to test out reloads, I had a vest with a shooting pad, recoil pad on the butt shock, and a sand bag between my vest and the rifle butt stock. Even then 40 rounds left a bruise, and no the reloads being test fired were not standard ones, they were "Hot". Excellent reloads for 500+ yard shots at a elk with knockdown at that range.

Firing one of the Barrett's is not high on my list of things to shoot. grinbig.gif

WMS
jago668
Well there is also the 25mm one you could "play" with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_XM109
or
http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,1463..._XM109,,00.html
lunchbox311
QUOTE (jago668 @ Mar 5 2008, 03:13 PM) *

Too bad Ronnie Barrett will not sell the 109 to the general public. Apparently he decided since it would be considered a Destructive Device by the BATFE that he would just not sell it. Despite it only being a $200.00 tax stamp.

At least that is how it is here in the USA.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Firing one of the Barrett's is not high on my list of things to shoot.

The M107 is supposed to have about as much kick as a shotgun from what I have read/seen. So odds are that .375 H & H Magnum kicks more than the Barrett 107.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (lunchbox311 @ Mar 5 2008, 05:49 PM) *
The M107 is supposed to have about as much kick as a shotgun from what I have read/seen. So odds are that .375 H & H Magnum kicks more than the Barrett 107.

The OP link is a description of a M 107 being fired, does not sound like a shotgun. grinbig.gif His description says it "Shoved" him backward, not a kick.

But in years past I had a 10 gauge 36 in barrel, 3.5 inch magnum goose gun I hunted with. grinbig.gif Great for knocking down Greater Canadian geese. Back in the days a lead shot.

Luck to you if you get to fire one.

WMS
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (jago668 @ Mar 5 2008, 02:13 PM) *

..uhhh, yeah. Where's Raygun to stat this one out?

...also like the Equipment Guide on Military.Com. Consider this site bookmarked.
Crusher Bob
The stats for the assault cannon more or less match up if you want to use something already in the books.
Cadmus
Ah yes I love the smell of overkill in the morning,

Its one of those things that well, most avrage runners just don't need hehehe, I mean sure you could shoot through that car, core that armored bank truck and then tear out a guys chest and still hit the soda can you were aiming at...But who needs that realy?

now if we can mount it on some roto drones that changes everything and I need three vegm.gif
Adarael
IIRC there is a .416 caliber sniper rifle that the Ballistics "Palm Pilot" also took into account the rotation of the earth for the final firing solution.

Skinz, you're thinking of the Cheytac Long Range Rifle System, which fires the Cheytac .408 round.
imperialus
QUOTE (lunchbox311 @ Mar 5 2008, 04:49 PM) *
Too bad Ronnie Barrett will not sell the 109 to the general public. Apparently he decided since it would be considered a Destructive Device by the BATFE that he would just not sell it. Despite it only being a $200.00 tax stamp.

At least that is how it is here in the USA.

and chances are if it isn't allowed in the US, it's not going to be allowed anywhere else that isn't a warzone.
jago668
They used to have picks of it up on the barrett website. So I went there to look for a link first, but it is taken down now. So everyone had to make do with the other two. If I remember correctly it was a bit shorter than normal for a .50 cal rifle. Though that is a bit like saying something is smaller than an elephant.
Ed_209a
Barrett semiautos have a very efficient muzzle brake and the entire action moves backwards within the gun. This does a lot to tame the .50 BMG's recoil.

If a .375 H & H Magnum had the same features, the recoil would probably be considered light.

Incidentally, the XM109 has the most effective muzzle brake Barrett has ever designed. Even with it, the recoil is close to the limit of what recoil the US Army is willing to expose soldiers to.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Adarael @ Mar 6 2008, 12:39 AM) *
Skinz, you're thinking of the Cheytac Long Range Rifle System, which fires the Cheytac .408 round.

Opps your are very correct. embarrassed.gif Thanks for posting that.

Wonder how the ballistics of the Cheytac and the Barrett compare in RL shooting situations? Also which has the greatest effective range?

WMS

lunchbox311
Barrett has a .416 rifle though which Warz may have been thinking about. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.416_Barrett Basically it is an alternate chambering for their model 99 rifle. http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_99.aspx
The palm pilot computer is something Barrett is developing to use with ALL of their rifles... it was orginally shown with the 416 I think though.

As far as the recoil sucking, I have seen many videos and read reviews about it being nice. The article fromt eh OP is the first instance I have seen of where it is a horrible hard to handle rifle. Even Barrett's site says it is nice, more of a push than a kick, but good for even a novice.

http://www.barrettrifles.com/faq.aspx

What does .50 caliber recoil feel like?
Much of the recoil in both the .50 BMG and .416 Barrett is reduced by the muzzle brake. The main spring and the barrel springs in the 82A1 reduce the recoil even more. Our large caliber rifles all weigh over 20 pounds which also helps to reduce recoil. While this is a very frequently asked question, even novice shooters do not find the recoil to be objectionable. The "feel" is more of a rapid push than a sharp kick.

Here at work I cannot look at youtube and the like (damn DOD blocking so many sites nyahnyah.gif ) but if you look up the m107 you will find many videos showing the operation and the relative lack of recoil for a weapon that size. Futureweapons did a show on it and showed the guy firing off 10 rounds in less than 10 seconds.... not too shabby. Granted he is an ex Navy Seal, but still it is obviously easy to handle by us mere mortals.

As far as runners not needing something like this.... BS

The US military started using these rifles in Iraq heavily outside of their original Anti Material role in an effort to better deal with entrenched enemies in Urban Combat situations. Enemies in a building behind multiple layers of concrete can seriously deflect or stop smaller rounds making it harder to engage the targets. The .50 BMG will pass through those things with no issue and still have the energy to drop the target.

Runners would have similiar uses for the rifle. That person will not have a safe cover angle when the bullet goes right through the small car they are standing behind. Throw in the radar cyberware and you can shoot through walls without them even suspecting it.... sounds very SR to me. biggrin.gif

The game has the equivilant of the 107 statted in arsenal... the Barrett m121. IIRC it does 9p with -4ap... so better than the standard sniper rifles. Load it with APDS and you have a serious monster. The image in arsenal even shows a picture and it looks similiar.

The M109 would be a good real life representation of an assault cannon. The picture of the Ares Assault Cannon in arsenal even shows it looking like the 109. Assault cannons do 10p -5ap... more than the 107 so I think the scale is correct.

fatal2ty
anybody feel like making stats for this and posting it?

I would, but I'm not very good at weapon creation

I assume it would be pretty high on the availability list and it would definately be illegal, and I doubt you could even get a permit IMO
lunchbox311
QUOTE (fatal2ty @ Mar 6 2008, 10:20 AM) *
anybody feel like making stats for this and posting it?

I would, but I'm not very good at weapon creation

I assume it would be pretty high on the availability list and it would definately be illegal, and I doubt you could even get a permit IMO

As I stated above... they have been stated in the game already.

M107= M121 in arsenal
XM109= Panther Assault Cannon or the Ares equivilant from Arsenal

Ed_209a
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Mar 6 2008, 10:58 AM) *
Wonder how the ballistics of the Cheytac and the Barrett compare in RL shooting situations? Also which has the greatest effective range?

WMS

I believe the .416 Barrett and the Cheytac .408 has an edge over the .50 BMG in extreme range antipersonnel work, but the .50 BMG is better in antimaterial work.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Mar 6 2008, 12:00 PM) *
I believe the .416 Barrett and the Cheytac .408 has an edge over the .50 BMG in extreme range antipersonnel work, but the .50 BMG is better in antimaterial work.

That I can see, for anti material work the 25mm would be much better than the .50 BMG.

The Cheytac was one I have seen on Futureweapons, interesting piece.

But again would like to see the results of a shoot out of the .408 Cheytac and the .416 Barrett in RL shooting. Each company could use their Best Shooter.

What changes would the stats for the .406 Cheytac or .418 Barrett be in SR4 ie increased ranges? increased DV vs non vehicle targets?

WMS
kzt
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Mar 6 2008, 07:12 AM) *
Barrett semiautos have a very efficient muzzle brake and the entire action moves backwards within the gun. This does a lot to tame the .50 BMG's recoil.

It also breaks scopes. The are not typically designed to stand up to the forward movement.
Adarael
What changes would the stats for the .406 Cheytac or .418 Barrett be in SR4 ie increased ranges? increased DV vs non vehicle targets?

My estimation would be increased range at the expense of DV or AP, just off the cuff.
fatal2ty
QUOTE (lunchbox311 @ Mar 6 2008, 01:30 PM) *
As I stated above... they have been stated in the game already.

M107= M121 in arsenal
XM109= Panther Assault Cannon or the Ares equivilant from Arsenal

I don't have Arsenal, I don't like PDFs and i'm waiting for my hard copy still
lunchbox311
QUOTE (fatal2ty @ Mar 6 2008, 03:09 PM) *
I don't have Arsenal, I don't like PDFs and i'm waiting for my hard copy still

OK sorry, I forgot it is not out yet since I got the PDF then printed it out my bad. I am at work so this is all from memory.

The m121 does 9p -4ap IIRC. Same range as any other sniper rifle. I forget the accessories it has, probably a smartlink for one thing though.

Your XM109 will be like the panther from the BBB so 10p -5ap.

Hope this helps. cyber.gif
kzt
QUOTE (lunchbox311 @ Mar 6 2008, 04:50 PM) *
The m121 does 9p -4ap IIRC. Same range as any other sniper rifle.

I'm just shocked that the gun firing HMG bullets does lots more damage than an HMG. sarcastic.gif The insanity of the people writing up the gun rules continues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012