Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with spirit powrs/services
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
Ok I know this has had to have been discussed before but I'm not finding the topic with a search. Can spirit use more then one power at a time, have more then one active at a time. Can a spirit perform more then one service at a time, provide two or more services at the same time? Limiting services to one at a time might fix the Ally sustaining issue.

Reason I wonder is Service is described in RAW as a "single" continuous task. It never comes out and says it under bound spirit powers but seems to imply its a single use ability.
Volarium
I always took it as able to use multiple services at the same time. (Movement+Concealment) for example or even having a spirit attack a group of security guards vs having the spirit attack the group of security guards while using fear etc... Attacking the group would be considered 1 service and having the spirit use a specific power would be an additional service.

Vol
Dashifen
That's the way I run it, too, though I reserve the right to start making pickier spirits should the player(s) start being dicks to them.
Prime Mover
Hmm how about making each power/service exclusive to each other...one movement power at time or one sustaining at a time but still allowed to interact with other powers/services ie movment + concealment is ok but not movement + movement. Sound reasonable/make sense? Just seems like this would be a quick and easy fix for ally sustaining issue if its left out of errata. Also seems to fit with the statement of a single continuous use as service definition.
Dashifen
If a spirit was Movement-ing a character and the mage ordered it to continue Movement-ing that character but add on another one, then that would be a second service, IMO.
Abbandon
good question but i dont have to time read the books and post an opinion. Will try tomorrow.
Blog
I know the way our GM runs spirits are the following. Since its stats are related to force most force 4+ spirits will have a comprehension greater then the average joe. If the spirit is neutral or liking of the mage then your service will get more milage.

Service: Distract/defeat the guards
depending on the above information this can cause the spirit to be throwing spells, using multiple powers etc etc all at the cost of 1 service

Service: Distract/defeat the guards using concealment, fear, etc. This however will cause you to use more then one service as your trying to micromanage a rather intelligent being.

Not sure what RAW allows but we have often used a single spirit to use movement and concealment at the same time. I think we always considered them 'sustainable spells' but without drain/penalties
crizh
Street Magic p94/95 is what your looking for I think.

Ask it to geek the goons in the other room and it will use all of it's powers to do so.

Cost: 1 Service

Ask it to pass you a drink.

No cost.

Of course it could tell you to stick your drink up your cyber-torso..
Magus
I typically GM the spirits as able to have Force = Active powers simultaneously. Same as an Adept can have Magic Rating powers active.
crizh
Street Magic p89.

It's fluff text but the Houngan(?) in question clearly has his spirit using 3 powers simultaneously.
Abbandon
Yeah after reading pg 94-95 of street magic on Spirit Services, I think you should be able to go "Hey Ally spirit sustain all these spells im gonna pass to you until i say you dont have to anymore."

It also said the spells pass along the mental link so that would mean they dont have to be near each other.

Each sustained spell is -2 though so I would only allow it to sustain its F/2 or something....
FriendoftheDork
Hey I have a related question and I don't want to make a new thread since it's probably been asked before (yes my search-fu is weak):

How long can a bound spirit perform one service? For example, if you ask the bound spirit to "protect me with Guard power", how long can it do so before the service is spent?
KurenaiYami
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Mar 8 2008, 03:16 AM) *
Hey I have a related question and I don't want to make a new thread since it's probably been asked before (yes my search-fu is weak):

How long can a bound spirit perform one service? For example, if you ask the bound spirit to "protect me with Guard power", how long can it do so before the service is spent?

I've seen somebody before suggest that the creature charge a service each day (at either dawn or dusk, if memory serves), and that's worked for me so far.

Edit: Though now, in an unrelate thread, I'm finding evidence to the contrary...feel free to disregard this.
Prime Mover
Continued use a power is only counted as one service as per BBB under spririt services.
Prime Mover
Ok I think there was some confusion above, I do allow spirit to use what ever power is needed to fufill a service request and even more then one type of power at a time. What I was thinking strictly for arguments sake was use of only one version of that power/service at a time.

Example: Random fire spirit can only materalize,engulf be sapeint once at a time. Now its fine for him to engulf,confuse and elemental attack all in the same service and perhaps maintain them all during the same IP . By this simple train of thought he could sustain one spell, confuse and engulf an opponent without being a game breaker. Also by the same means that spirit could'nt sustain two spells, be sapient twice or engulf in two places at once. Seems reasonable to me.

This is just a thought I'm not trying to step on Franks toes or argue whats already understood, just option for allowing said services if ya want too without breaking the bank so to speak.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 8 2008, 03:32 PM) *
Continued use a power is only counted as one service as per BBB under spririt services.

Wow. So that means a spirit with only one service can be asked to use Guard or Magical Guard on someone indefinetively? Or at least, until disrupted. Still my GM is gonna have to swallow something large and awful wink.gif
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 8 2008, 03:32 PM) *

Wow. So that means a spirit with only one service can be asked to use Guard or Magical Guard on someone indefinetively? Or at least, until disrupted. Still my GM is gonna have to swallow something large and awful wink.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Mar 8 2008, 12:53 PM) *

strictly speaking, yes. as has been said, many people don't like how that works, and your GM is entirely within his rights to modify how it works.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Jaid @ Mar 8 2008, 10:59 PM) *
strictly speaking, yes. as has been said, many people don't like how that works, and your GM is entirely within his rights to modify how it works.

True, but the GM generally tries to follow the rules and seldom makes changes. In any case, I think the worst abuses can be supressed by the fact that a magician with constant spirit powers will have a hard time passing through wards. The same weakness as Quickening metamagic comes to mind.
Elve
Does an active sprit power (or an active adept pwoer) count as magical for purposes such as passing through wards?
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Elve @ Mar 9 2008, 05:21 PM) *
Does an active sprit power (or an active adept pwoer) count as magical for purposes such as passing through wards?

I was thinking more about the spirit itself... then again nothing prevents the spirit from maintaning the power while beiong far away, right?
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Elve @ Mar 9 2008, 05:21 PM) *

Hmm, good point I'm not sure. And I think spirits doesen't need to be following the PC around to sustain powers on him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012