Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC Database
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fatal2ty
has anyone compiled a 4th edition NPC database?
It would be nice to have a big selection of NPCs I could just pull out if something unexpected happens rather than building an NPC "on the fly" or using a premade thats "close enough"

I know theres a bunch in the core books and in the GM screen, and I can always use the ones from campains, but Its nice to have an NPC for any situation
Vegetaman
QUOTE (fatal2ty @ Mar 7 2008, 02:08 PM) *
has anyone compiled a 4th edition NPC database?
It would be nice to have a big selection of NPCs I could just pull out if something unexpected happens rather than building an NPC "on the fly" or using a premade thats "close enough"

I know theres a bunch in the core books and in the GM screen, and I can always use the ones from campains, but Its nice to have an NPC for any situation

You mean sort of like how NSRCG had a bunch of premade archetypes that you could use at a moments notice for SR3 games? Because I used those like mad. And that would rock for SR4.
fatal2ty
QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Mar 7 2008, 04:10 PM) *
You mean sort of like how NSRCG had a bunch of premade archetypes that you could use at a moments notice for SR3 games? Because I used those like mad. And that would rock for SR4.

I didn't play SR3, i tried getting my group involved but they where too into D&D 3.5, but if you mean what I think you mean, then yes
cryptoknight
I can only wish... I had posted about trying to build a bunch of pre-created grunts at one point... but nobody seemed interested.

I was hoping to make a bunch of stock grunts with varying abilities from professional rating 0 to 5 for each one.

Sort of like... Pro rating 0 security guards are your typical shopping mall security guards... never there when you need them, showing up too late to do anything, but taking the already apprehended shoplifters in to call their parents and the real police... up to Pro rating 5 security guards with Deltaware and a Mage/MysticAdept for a Lieutenant.
bofh
I'm starting something like that right now but am still in the creation steps. Mucking with layout and what to show so I can create a proper database backend for it.

Carl
fatal2ty
well, i know it sounds like a lot of work, but it really wouldn't be, anytime you create an NPC for your group, add it to a wiki or post it, then it really just requires someone to organise them and put them all in a pdf file, or if someones ambitious, a searchable web site
DMFubar
I've been tossing around the idea of a contact site, not so much for stats, but a place where you can go to pick contacts during creation, or people for use as NPC's. Basically all it will have is a name, occupation, background/description, and connection rating. Then players can add whatever loyalty they wish to show how close they are to that specific contact. Bad part is that my web design skills are still in development and between work and the campaign I am currently running, time is fairly restricted (though I have a good start on the actual contacts).
bofh
Yep. My idea was a location specific list of runners, contacts, and general NPCs with historical information. So for example, if I'm running in Denver, I'd search for a bartender in Englewood and find "Rocko" with stats and a history page. If something eventful happened, I'd expect the GM to update the history with what the event was and maybe the team involved. Then later if someone else used the character (no matter which type), they'd get a little history and maybe even some mannerisms.

"Rocko - Location Denver/Englewood

History
2058/01/28 - Shadowrunners while trying to evade Knight Errant, shot up Rocko's bar and he took a round."

It wouldn't have to be a lot, but 10 or so entries like that would really round Rocko out.

Carl
Nightwalker450
I like this idea, I think I'm going to keep our groups contacts on our wiki-space, and hopefully my other GM's will help keep it updated.
Nightwalker450
What information do people keep track of with contacts? If its a fixer you probably want his negotiation and charisma. If its a street doc, you obviously want his skills at fixing you up.

I'm thinking for keeping track I'm going to start with a name, occupation, and connection rating... Whenever I need to do a roll for them that I haven't done before I'll make it up on the fly and mark down what I assigned their skills at for that roll. If I ever do a similar roll again I can look back and find the information.

What do other people keep track of for contacts, and when do they figure these out?
bibliophile20
I'll have a bunch of NPCs available for general use fairly soon.
Eyeless Blond
There's a few good ones in the Community Projects forum: thread link
Simon May
The Shadowrun-Wiki has one: http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

But it's not well populated. If people actually put some of their characters up there, it would be a great resource, and it's already set up nicely.
cREbralFIX
QUOTE (bofh @ Mar 7 2008, 04:42 PM) *
Yep. My idea was a location specific list of runners, contacts, and general NPCs with historical information. So for example, if I'm running in Denver, I'd search for a bartender in Englewood and find "Rocko" with stats and a history page. If something eventful happened, I'd expect the GM to update the history with what the event was and maybe the team involved. Then later if someone else used the character (no matter which type), they'd get a little history and maybe even some mannerisms.

"Rocko - Location Denver/Englewood

History
2058/01/28 - Shadowrunners while trying to evade Knight Errant, shot up Rocko's bar and he took a round."

It wouldn't have to be a lot, but 10 or so entries like that would really round Rocko out.

Carl

bofh,

Do you want some development help? Email me the details; I may be able to help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012