Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New defensive gernade options
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Prime Mover
I'm no engineer but it would seem if thermal smoke is a common tool for shadowrunners and there foes why would'nt they have developed other anti sensor deployables. Anti ultrasound, somthing that emits noise interference. Anti radar simple small scale chaff deployer. Developed into gernade size packages and causing visual modifiers akin to smoke/fog etc...

Thoughts?
Daier Mune
*shrug* i don't know, why don't we make one right now?

Chaff Grenade
imposes Ultrasound/radar vision penalty of -6
imposes natural and lowlight penalty of -1
no penalty for thermal vision

covers an area of 10m (effected by wind), disperses/falls to the ground within 2 combat turns
$60 each, 10R
jago668
Would make sense. You have emp grenades and that astral smoke grenade thing out of arsenal. So doesn't seem that far fetched to have an anti-radar grenade, and there is a white noise generator in the book already that could be used to foul up ultrasound.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (jago668 @ Mar 8 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Would make sense. You have emp grenades and that astral smoke grenade thing out of arsenal. So doesn't seem that far fetched to have an anti-radar grenade, and there is a white noise generator in the book already that could be used to foul up ultrasound.

Turning white noise generator into a gernade, would it negate ultrasound completely or just impose the -6 penalty same a sense removal?
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Mar 8 2008, 11:58 AM) *
*shrug* i don't know, why don't we make one right now?

Chaff Grenade
imposes Ultrasound/radar vision penalty of -6
imposes natural and lowlight penalty of -1
no penalty for thermal vision

covers an area of 10m (effected by wind), disperses/falls to the ground within 2 combat turns
$60 each, 10R

Would chaff effect ultrasound? Bounce ultra sound signals off of chaff material?
Daier Mune
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 8 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Would chaff effect ultrasound? Bounce ultra sound signals off of chaff material?

ultrasound and radar are both based on sonic pulses so i have to assume that if radar is tripped up by them, then so would ultrasound.
Larme
There is a much better anti-radar tool than a grenade - a regular jammer . Plus, there already *are* one shot jammers, called expendable jammers, in Arsenal. Those will jam radar without spraying chaff and being really obvious even to people not relying on radar sensors.

As for ultrasound, in SR3, white noise generators added a TN penalty to ultrasound vision equal to their rating. And you also had ultrasound emitter/detectors that sensed incoming ultrasound and beamed it back to make it appear that nothing was there. Both were deleted in SR4, and I'm not sure why.

WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Daier Mune @ Mar 8 2008, 11:12 AM) *
ultrasound and radar are both based on sonic pulses so i have to assume that if radar is tripped up by them, then so would ultrasound.

Correction sonic equals sound.

Ultrasound is technically sound.

Radar is RF from very low to very high in frequency.

Chaff would be effective for Radar, but will not get into the specifics due it would not aid in the role playing such.

White Noise would effect ultrasound.

@Larme

I agree with you on the SR3 effects of white noise generators against ultrasound. Why it was removed...me I think the Rigger 3 EW/ECM rules scared/confused most players and GM's. For me I had no real issues with those rules in Rigger 3 except that they were too simple. grinbig.gif

WMS
kzt
Yeah! They didn't even include decent rules for range-gate pull off! Whatever that is..... wink.gif

I keep meaning to buy Artech House's EW 101.....
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (kzt @ Mar 8 2008, 12:05 PM) *
Yeah! They didn't even include decent rules for range-gate pull off! Whatever that is..... wink.gif

I keep meaning to buy Artech House's EW 101.....

grinbig.gif "In God We Trust, All Others We Track, Kill Them All, Let God/Allah/Buddha sort them out"

Damn You KZT,,,,at 103.00 USD, I will now have to save abit, but diffidently sounds interesting.
http://www.artechhouse.com/default.asp?fra...t=NO&State=

In fact alot of their Electronic Warfare books sound interesting, expensive but interesting.

WMS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012