Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cermak Blast
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
moosegod
You realize that the old FASA offices were in the Cermak building, right?

I feel like a genius!
Ancient History
Actually, they were across the street. But nice try.
moosegod
Curses. Foiled again.
Kagetenshi
*Gives Moosegod the "almost a genius" hat*

~J
Adam
The building seen in these pictures -- right across the street from the old FASA offices [although they weren't the old FASA offices at the time the pictures were taken. . . ] was the actual blast site: http://www.talkinabout.com/gaming/shadowru...run/cermak.html
Zolhex
What does it matter it was a nuke I'm sure ther was some damage to fasa's building. Unless of course your saying that the shield was so small so as to only enclose the building that was the target?
moosegod
Actually, the description for the Cermak Blast means that FASA's building might still be there. Remember, the blast was really bizarre.
JongWK
Once upon a time, someone asked Mike Mulvihill about the Cermak Blast. It went something like this:

Q: So, does that mean you are all bugs?

MM: Yes we are.

grinbig.gif

BTW: Whatever happened to Mike Mulvihill, Tom Dowd and Paul Hume?
Zolhex
Mr Dowd left went to microsoft although I seem to recall that he has sence moved on from them as well.
thunderchild
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Mr Dowd left went to microsoft although I seem to recall that he has sence moved on from them as well.

Dont be fooled, Satan dosent let you leave...
Cray74
QUOTE (moosegod)
Actually, the description for the Cermak Blast means that FASA's building might still be there. Remember, the blast was really bizarre.

Not really weird. It was normal nuke that went off inside a powerful containment vessel (a high-force barrier spell).
FlakJacket
That must of been one hell of a chunky salsa effect. biggrin.gif
moosegod
Not so much "chunky" as "fine mist" I thinks.
Austere Emancipator
A nuke has a "fine mist" effect even when it goes off on a flat plain. Within a high-force barrier spell, even with a small nuke, everything would instantly reach at least a 6-digit temperature (Celsius) and get enough radiation to blast the individual cells to pieces. Or something like that.
moosegod
Actually, directly under the nuke, you get a total vaporization of just about everything that's not solid steel (think the Peace Dome at Hiroshima.)

I was trying to come up with something funny, and failing.
FlakJacket
It's a nuclear weapon going off. When is that not fun in and of itself?
Austere Emancipator
In real life?

In SR, Nukes certainly are Fun. I was contemplating making rules for them, but then I figured that the Blast rating would suck so bad that the nukes could never do what the do IRL, like immediately setting alight anything flammable (like forests, or clothing) within dozens of kilometers.
moosegod
As a GM, I've used nukes twice (both in my Taiwan campaign). I said "screw the rules" and sank the supercarrier and ruined the section of the city that was targeted.
Austere Emancipator
Screwing the rules is definitely what I'd do anyway. But it would be really cool to get to say "Resist 2,121,320 D+265,165, no Combat Pool, Impact armor applies". That's 500 megaton surface explosion ground zero, explosive effect only.
moosegod
Awwww, be nice.

Let them use the combat pool. vegm.gif
gknoy
QUOTE (moosegod)
Awwww, be nice.

Let them use the combat pool. vegm.gif

Well, trouble with using combat pool is, how many successes does the nuke have? they might claim they can dodge it ;D

As for the vaporization inside the barrier spell -- I imagine that the temperature could have gotten high enough to turn things to plasma, even. w00t! Subatomic destruction and rearrangement. I can just picture the shiny glass-like crater afterwards . . . wink.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (gknoy)
how many successes does the nuke have?

All of them.

~J
Hida Tsuzua
On the subject of nukes, am I the only one with this opinion? Considering that nearly everything alive is more or less instantly killed by a nuke going off along with all the emotions (nearly all negative) involved, a nuke should create at temporary level 10 mana warp at ground zero that lowers off depending on the size of the nuke. Otherwise, astral projecting mages and spirits could hang around at ground zero when it's going off and only go "Why is it so dark?"
Kagetenshi
Considering Ancient History's section on the relationship between nuclear weapons and magic, I'd say you're not the only one.

~J
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Screwing the rules is definitely what I'd do anyway. But it would be really cool to get to say "Resist 2,121,320 D+265,165, no Combat Pool, Impact armor applies". That's 500 megaton surface explosion ground zero, explosive effect only.

(roll - roll - roll) 'Took a light, kids these days...'
Daishi
QUOTE (gknoy)
how many successes does the nuke have?

Well, roll half the power in dice vs. TN 4. So for our example of a 2,121,320 power bomb, that's 1,060,660 dice at TN 4. For an average of about 530330 successes.

Try as I might, I still haven't gotten a combat pool that large. smile.gif
Frag-o Delux
What is that rule? Hand of God. biggrin.gif

It would be cool to have a character with a T-shirt saying "I survived the Cermark Blast and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"

JongWK
I doubt the Hand of God will save you from radiation poisoning devil.gif
Pistons
QUOTE (JongWK)
BTW: Whatever happened to Mike Mulvihill, Tom Dowd and Paul Hume?

Mike's at WizKids.
Traks
In fact, if you aren't in open field when nuke is blasting, you have pretty good chances to survive. Given that you immediately move away after that, out of your cover. Even any moat can save you. Just stay away from collapsing buildings. Most likely you will get some radiation on your pants, but not too high.

Possibly later you will feel more bad effects, like leukemia.
It will depend on dosage on radiation you received and many other things.

Ahh, still having at home those books "What should you do in case of nuclear blast" from USSR times, with lotsa pictures and stuff.
Raptor1033
char: uuuhhh i think this a good time to use my hand of god
GM: alright, you crouched real low behind a rock

sorry, inside joke with my friends ohplease.gif
Moonwolf
IIRC, using the rules in T:W, the Cermak blast ground zero has a background count of 50, based on the rad levels there. That's aspected towards radiation toxics as well, so rituals will go so easily there for them.
moosegod
50!?! rollin.gif vegm.gif devil.gif beret.gif mad.gif question.gif question.gif question.gif ork.gif ork.gif
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (JongWK)
I doubt the Hand of God will save you from radiation poisoning devil.gif

That is why I used the the big grin trying to imply sarcasm. smile.gif

On a side note when my uncle was in Germany in the army they would do nuclear attack senerioes, where when a bell went off they were supposed to find a low point to lay in, head into the on comeing blast, then when it pasted they were to turn 180 degrees and do the same to wait for the return wave. He didn't say what he was to do after that but I remember that because when I was little I was so worried about nuclear attack that when the power went out for no appearent reason I thought it was the EMP wave as the bomb went off and would look for the flash. When we were camping once we were hiking past a giant sink hole and my uncle pointed out that it would be a good place to dive if a bomb went off. Ahhhhhh childhood memories, makes you all numb inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012