Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing of the Guard
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Rob Boyle
http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/?p=216

Every runner should know when it's time to cut and run, right?

In a sense, that time has come for me. I've been working on Shadowrun for 10 years now -- half of its lifespan. I started as an editor at FASA, moved on to be assistant SR developer under Mike Mulvihill until FASA closed, took over the line a few months later for FanPro, and then jumped ship with it to Catalyst. I started right before the conversion to Third Edition, and then three years ago led the charge to Fourth Edition. Three editions, three game companies.

I'm not the type of person who sticks with jobs I don't like. In fact, I pretty much refuse to work on anything that I don't gain some sort of personal satisfaction from. No mundane wage slavery for me. So I think it says something about what a fun and interesting job this has been that I've stuck with it for so long. There have been some glitches and low points of course, but overall it's been a very enjoyable experience.

To be blunt, however, I'm burnt out on Shadowrun. I've been burnt out for awhile, actually. It happens. Unfortunately, this is not the type of job that's easy to take a break from -- the deadlines don't stop coming, and I haven't had a backup person who could take over full time. Even though I've been feeling the need to move on, I've also wanted to see Fourth Edition along at least through the core rulebooks. Now that Unwired is off to layout, I feel complete. Especially as that book goes a long way towards dealing with some of the shortcomings we've still faced with the SR4 matrix rules.

So the time has come for me to step aside as lead SR developer. I'll be staying with Catalyst, of course, but I'll be switching gears and taking point on a new game line -- you'll hear more about that in a few months. I'll also still be working on Shadowrun, but in an auxiliary capacity, at least through some of our 20th anniversary stuff -- can't miss that, after all. The very competent Peter Taylor will be taking on the lead SR developer job -- he's been a pleasure to work with since he started as a freelancer and we adopted his Euro Sourcebook project and transformed it into Shadows of Europe. He's been working as an assistant developer for over a year now, and we're pretty excited to have him on board and taking the helm. This switchover has actually been in the works for awhile, so you won't see any changes in the upcoming schedule.

Who knows, I may even have time to do some actual writing for Shadowrun now, rather than always being busy with the editing and dev work.

Before I sign off, let me take the opportunity to say thanks to all of the fans who have stuck with the game over the years, and also to the new players who were drawn in by the revised Fourth Ed. rules. Thanks also to the freelance writers, artists, and editors who I've worked with over the years and who have helped to maintain Shadowrun as a vibrant and explosive universe -- couldn't have done it without you!

So, this won't be the last you hear from me, but this is the last time I get to take the credit and/or blame for Shadowrun smile.gif . I hope it's been as fun and interesting for you as it has been for me.

-- Rob Boyle
Prime Mover
A BIG thanks Rob for feeding our SR addiction and catching all the incoming fire! Best of luck with your future plans. And Gratz to Peter.
Zolhex
notworthy.gif Tis a sad day to see ya go but at least your still gonna be around and if this new game gets your hand in it's development I'm sure it'll be a great game as well.

See Ya around sometime I hope.
Naysayer
Well, all good things and all that jazz...

Thank you for sticking with the franchise, and especially for turning the wheel around on what (to me) was a rapidly sinking ship (actually one that had pretty much submerged and hit bottom...) and coming out on top.
Or, to use some big words, thank you for saving Shadowrun!.
There, I said it.
Good luck to you, and congrats to Peter, always nice to see an enthusiast succeed.
I guess, with him at the helm, the ship is in good hands.

...now to figure out where all those terrible nautical metaphors came from

Velocity219e
So you are one of the people to blame for a 20 year addiction....

well thanks biggrin.gif its been a fabulous diversion for a long long time and although you get paid to work on it (I wish I did sometimes) I for one appreciate the time and effort blah blah smile.gif

thanks again!

Matt
krakjen
Thanks for all your work.
You'll be missed...
Stahlseele
just because you quit shadowrun does not mean you get to quit dumpshock!
maybe start playing shadowrun and get to see your work from the other side of the table?
kinda enjoying the work you have done, reaping the rewards by having fun with the results of your Ideas?
nag the other developers like the rest of us do from time to time? *g*
anyway, you did a good job and if you ain't having fun anymore it's about time to do something else.
if writers/devs don't do that from time to time and stick with something that's no fun anymore, they could end up starting to mess things up.
so have fun with whatever you decide to do . . maybe some of the more hardcore fans of your work will decide to try out the other game, when the figure out who's in charge now ^^
Oh and if by writing you mean Shadowrun NOVELS . . please do, there's not nearly enough of those in my unimportant opinion
Blue eyes
All the best and thank you for all your hard work Rob, good luck with your new projects. Glad to hear your still gonna be involved
to a certain extent in Shadowrun!

Grazt Peter all the best, hang in there!

Thx to both of u for making Shadowrun the best rpg out there! smile.gif

DocTaotsu
*raises his RPG lighter*

WELOVEYOURROBBOYLE!!!

But yeah... thanks for feeding the addiction. Best of luck.
Adarael
I think I speak for many of us when I say you've done a great job, Rob. And I, at least, think that Peter is the only logical choice to take up the reins.

Much luck with whatever new hat you'll be wearing at Catalyst.
Fortune
The King is dead! frown.gif

Long live the King! smile.gif
BookWyrm
Thank you for all your efforts into greating this game, Rob. *raises goblet* May all your endeavours be fruitful, and your doubters silenced. {Elven word for 'Success'}
Cardul
It is sad to see the old guard move on, both in Battletech and, now, in Shadowrun. At least they are staying with the company. And, Rob, I fully agree with the "if you aren't having fun anymore, it is time to move on to something else" reason. I hope to hear cool things coming out under your guiding influence soon. After what you did for Shadowrun, whatever else you come out with will have to be cool!
Chrome Tiger
I know it has been said before, and for very good reason, but thank you for keeping the addiction alive. I cannot wait to see what you churn out in the future.
fistandantilus4.0
Good luck Rob, and enjoy. It must be hard to move on, changing of from something you've done for the last decade. But a change is better than being stuck in something you don't love anymore. Maybe in a few years, it will go back to not being work for you again. Enjoy your play. smile.gif
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Good luck, and thanks for sticking with us!
crash2029
Gaming is my passion. Shadowrun is my chosen vehicle for that passion. I thank you for the fortitude and vision to have directed Shadowrun all these years. I wish you fortune and puissance in your future endeavors. Thank you, Mr. Boyle.
Wounded Ronin
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*runs off like a movie character in a tense scene*
eidolon
Fantastic work, Rob. Best of luck!
apollo124
I got nothing original to say here. Good luck with your next endeavors, and thanks for all the hard work helping shape Shadowrun into the best rpg around!
fulcra
I for one am relieved. You have no idea how hard is having someone named "Rob Boyle" be your Shadowrun GM for eight years and never really be sure if he's living a secret alternate life as the Shadowrun creator. Now I'll be able to rest easy, knowing it was just a coincidence.

To be honest, just between you and me, I was always pretty sure he wasn't cause his grip on the matrix rules was a little shakey. smile.gif

To the Rob Boyle who makes the Shadowrun, I say, fabulous job, nice work, good luck with future products, can't wait to see them.

To the Rob Boyle who is my GM, I say, haha...uh..just kidding about the matrix rules..ha...you're good. Please don't punish me.

Now, if some guy named Peter Taylor tries to break into our Shadowrun group, I'm seriously going to get freaked out.
Moon-Hawk
Hooray! Now you'll have lots of free time to hang around Dumpshock and answer questions. biggrin.gif
What? I can't look for a bright side? wink.gif

In all seriousness, I think Rob has done a great job and I'm looking forward to checking out his new project.
stevebugge
Thanks for all the years of great work on Shadowrun, and I hope your new project brings back a level of fun and excitement to your work.
Shrike30
You've created a game that gives me a great deal of enjoyment, and I'm glad that you found the process rewarding. I'm looking forwards to seeing what this new project is smile.gif
bishop186
I'm a little late on this one and I'm going to be repetitive, but repetition doesn't make it less true:

Thank you, Rob, for all the contributions you made to this wonderful game. I didn't come in until right before 3rd switched to 4th so I'm a bit of a newblood in the SR community but man I can't begin to say how much I appreciate what you've done for the game.

Good luck in whatever you decide to pursue.
Moya
Shadowrun is nerps and always will be in my book chummer. You are in part responsible for some of my fondest gaming memories. As you leave this game I want you to know this. I am better off for you having been there. Thats a legacy.
Triggerz
I've been playing Shadowrun since the 2nd edition came out in... 1992? It's a great game universe with a great community. The 4th edition is immensely fun in so many ways that I'll spare everyone the list. We may bitch and complain about this or that every now and then... because we love the game so passionately!!! But I, for one, would like to thank you for all of your hard work over the years. It's a job well done, sir, and I salute you. I wish you the best in your new endeavors.
Johnny the Bull
Bit delayed, but...

So long Rob, and thanks for all the fish.
Bigity
Ever since 1989 when a young gamer came across a fantastic pic of Dodger, FastJack, and Sally Tsung huddled in an alley alcove taking cover and taking out the orcs across the way while Fastjack 'ran naked' in whatever host he was decking, I've been enthralled by Shadowrun's story and gameplay.

I miss alot of little things, like the shadowtalk in ShadowTech and other supplements, and I'm not completely sold on 4th edition rules (or 3rd for that matter), this game provides me with miles of entertainment, even when I'm just reading old sourcebooks like Universal Brotherhood or the Neo-Anarchists books.

Good luck in your future projects.

Conserve ammo, shoot straight, and never deal with a dragon.
Fortune
QUOTE (Bigity @ May 2 2008, 07:57 AM) *
Ever since 1989 when a young gamer came across a fantastic pic of Dodger, FastJack, and Sally Tsung huddled in an alley alcove taking cover and taking out the orcs across the way while Fastjack 'ran naked' in whatever host he was decking ...

Dude! That pic (Elmore's cover of the SR1 and 2 core rule book), was of Dodger (the guy doing the naked decking with the SMG slung on his shoulder), Sally Tsung (the chick in shorts and a fringed jacket with the Roomsweeper), and Ghost-Who-Walks-Inside (the Amerindian with twin SMGs firing at the orks in the limo).

If you are referring to another pic, can you give me a reference as to where it is located?
Kronk2
Le Roy Est Mort; Via Le Roy!!

Wait who is the new king?? We aren't stuck with Mordred are we? But in all seriousness, NOW WHAT?
Fortune
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ May 8 2008, 10:39 AM) *
Wait who is the new king?

Synner! smile.gif
Mickle5125
Now I'm super late on this, but here goes anyway.

Thanks for the fun times (I haven't had many yet, but I'm new to gaming. No matter, however. Shadowrun reigns supreme in my books).

Good luck on whatever you'll be doing now.

-Mickle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012