Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skills, Groups and Specialization
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
swirler
Sorry if it's been asked but I couldn't find an answer with search.

Only one specialization is allowed per skill, and specializations are not allowed for skill groups.

okay, but what if you increase an individual skill in a group, which it says you can do.
Say you have the "firearms" group then raise "pistols" by itself. Could you then have a specialization in say "holdouts" or is it still a no?
swirler
ugg this was supposed to be in SR

could I get this thread moved?
sorry
Ranger
The moment you increase an individual skill that is currently in a skill group, the group gets broken. That is, the one skill you increased now has the increased rating, while the other skills of the group retain the former group's rating.

At that point, you can buy specialization for any or all of the skills that were in the group.
ArkonC
Actually, if you have Firearms 4, you can just decide to split the group in Pistols 4, Automatics 4 and Rifles 4, and them buy a specialty for 2 karma...
DireRadiant
Are you asking about at chargen, or after chargen? After chargen you can do whatever you want regarding splitting a skill group and getting a specialization.

During chargen there is some discussion since it isn't entirely and totally explicitly disallowed to break a skill group to get a specialization with BP. In my opinion during chargen it's not intended to allow skill groups to get specializations using BP. Opinions may vary.
DTFarstar
I'm pretty sure what it means there is that you can't take Firearms 3(Pistols) and actually specialize the group. I think you can specialize like normal with a skill group, but I know that once you break the group by increasing one beyond others you can specialize at will.

Chris
Ranger
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Mar 17 2008, 08:34 AM) *
During chargen there is some discussion since it isn't entirely and totally explicitly disallowed to break a skill group to get a specialization with BP. In my opinion during chargen it's not intended to allow skill groups to get specializations using BP. Opinions may vary.

According to the FAQ:

"You can break apart a skill group whenever you want--as long as the GM allows it. We advise against breaking apart skill groups during character creation in order to keep it simple and counter min-maxing. Any time you improve a single skill within a skill group or add a specialization to one of those skills, that skill group no longer exists."

Kind of funny that even the FAQ doesn't definitively state one way or the other, but the advisement concurs with Dire Radiant's opinion.
swirler
ah cool
thanks for the quick reply all. That is kind of what I had assumed but it's always good to hear confirmation from others who have tested it first.
And thanks whichever Mod moved my misplaced thread
embarrassed.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012