Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Down time IPs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WeaverMount
IPs give you more actions. Should this have an impact on how fast you can doing thing besides shoot people in the face? Can a wired 1 mechanic fix a bike in less time; they can think and move faster? Do code-monkey wage saves call up a mage like a meth dealer when they are falling behind dead-line and the 3 IPs from VR just isn't enough? Would hot-drek AAA lawyer ninjas negotiate deals in 4x time. Closing a multi-billion nueyen deal a couple weeks early could literally pay for synaptic-boosters 3 after one deal. Should there be mechanics for this? I like how this as a reflection of how augmentation separates people at a level as fundamental as time.
Ranger
If the action states that it is 1 IP as the interval of an Extended Test, then yes, a character with more IPs would complete it faster. Otherwise, no, you complete the tasks at the same rate as someone with only 1 IP.

At least, by the RAW.
Slymoon
interesting...

So,
a 20IP Extended test interval =/= a 1 min extended test interval when it comes to persons with >1 IP.

Ranger
QUOTE (Slymoon @ Mar 17 2008, 03:29 PM) *
interesting...

So,
a 20IP Extended test interval =/= a 1 min extended test interval when it comes to persons with >1 IP.

That's correct. Someone with more IPs per combat turn would finish the 20 IP Extended Test a lot faster.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Mar 18 2008, 12:05 AM) *
Do code-monkey wage saves call up a mage like a meth dealer when they are falling behind dead-line and the 3 IPs from VR just isn't enough?

As you cannot have more than 4 IPs, calling a normal meth dealer would be enough.
WeaverMount
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Mar 17 2008, 06:44 PM) *
As you cannot have more than 4 IPs, calling a normal meth dealer would be enough.

My understanding is that multiple IP boosters overlap rather than stack. There is no drug that give you +3, for that you would need to get a mage to cast a force 4 improved reflexes.

As for everyone else I here where you are coming from by RAW that most technical task are listed in terms of real time not actions. So by RAW it does help. I'm asking do you think it would help by logic, and benifit a game as fluff.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Mar 18 2008, 01:18 AM) *
My understanding is that multiple IP boosters overlap rather than stack. There is no drug that give you +3, for that you would need to get a mage to cast a force 4 improved reflexes.

Depends on the enhancement.
The major stuff like reflex ware, powers and spells don't stack, but simsense boosters from Augmentation give you a stacking pass in hot sim.
I thought cram works this way, too.
At least that's how we handled combat drugs in my groups.
I'll look up the drug chapter in the BBB.
WeaverMount
I just check some source material and drugs do say +1 IP. So I can see where you are coming from. I don't think they stack personally. It just doesn't make sense to me given the cost in karma/neuyen/essense for getting 4 IP augmentation if you can just have 2 or passes and juice up when you really need it. In the very specific example of VR whole thing is a no go.

Characters possessing a simsense booster boast an
additional extra Initiative Pass when operating in VR (for a maximum
of three Initiative Passes when operating in cold sim and four
Initiative Passes when operating in hot sim).

So do people like wired lawyer ninja and cram'n mechanics?
Rasumichin
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Mar 18 2008, 01:50 AM) *
I just check some source material and drugs do say +1 IP. So I can see where you are coming from. I don't think they stack personally. It just doesn't make sense to me given the cost in karma/neuyen/essense for getting 4 IP augmentation if you can just have 2 or passes and juice up when you really need it.

I see your point.
Personally, i believe that the fact that all initiative-enhancing drugs in the BBB give you 6S unresisted damage after they wear off makes up for that.
So, even if the effects of various drugs would stack (and there's no rule saying they don't), a user taking cram, jazz and kamikaze at the same time would be wrecked by 18S unresisted damage afterwards, rendering this 4 cheap IPs for the really desperate.

I tried to deliberately break this by using timed autoinjectors/toxin removing implants in a theoretical build, but all the stuff in Augmentation either didn't completely filter out the drugs or couldn't be turned off temporarily, i think.
Maybe this is on purpose, maybe i didn't look hard enough and oversaw the ultimate pharmasam build.
WeaverMount
You just hit on the crux of making a really twink juicer! that is so my next so uber I couldn't stomach putting it in front of a GM though exercise!

EDIT: Jazz doesn't do stun it does Disorientation (-2 to everything for 10 minuets)
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Mar 17 2008, 08:50 PM) *
So do people like wired lawyer ninja and cram'n mechanics?

I like the wired lawyer ninja, but basically in the way I like Harvey Birdman or Dr McNinja. I think bonuses to writing legal briefs or building new code would mainly come from AR and from things like cerebral boosters, though. Maybe skillwires. Maybe wired reflexes (or reflex boosters, really) could enable you to object before the other lawyer gets to insinuate something that the jury will be unable to disregard.

(Or, could the use of data filters, futuretech rohypnol, and/or magic enable the jury to actually disregard the previous statement?)

masterofm
Probably having 4 IP's might not help you for negotiation. I mean if you are an auctioneer then it would help you, but I mean no one can generally understand you at that point. Other then that why not?

*edit* Would having 4 IP's actually hurt you for negotiation? Maybe at that point you speak so fast that hardly anyone can understand you.
jago668
Myself it seems that if you had 4 IP you would do stuff in a quarter the normal time. Like changing a tire, seems you could very easily cut down on the time.
b1ffov3rfl0w
I don't think most of that is reflex, though (unless you train to change tires really fast, like a pit crew guy).
jago668
What does reflex have to do with it? You can do anything with those extra IPs. Mages cast spells, there is the take aim action which isn't exactly a "reflex" action, not to mention climbing, etc. Those extra IPs are for whatever you can normally do, the game doesn't limit what actions you get per IP past the first. Every single IP you get is treated exactly the same as the one a guy with only one IP gets. So if it takes a guy with 1 IP, four turns to do something it should only take the guy with 4 IP one turn to do the same thing.
Larsine
There are at least one physical action in RAW that isn't affeceted by how many IP's you have: Running. All humans runa at the same base speed, no matter how many IPs they have.

Lars
jago668
Which makes absolutely no sense.
Larsine
QUOTE (jago668 @ Mar 18 2008, 08:42 AM) *

Remember this is SR4, which does not have to have anything to do with sense. Either it's RAW or it's a house rule.

Lars
jago668
And something either makes sense or it doesn't.
toturi
QUOTE (jago668 @ Mar 18 2008, 03:42 PM) *

It makes absolute sense, if you but choose to see from the game world view. If you are fixated on the real life view, then my advice is to free your mind.
MaxHunter
"there is no spoon" grinbig.gif
Slymoon
well then...

Either convert all extended tests to IP intervals. ie: 1 hour is 1,200 IP intervals, 1 min is 20 IP intervals. So multi IP individuals will be consistantly faster for all extended tests.

Limit extended tests to be 1 test per interval per RAW but call 1IP interval actually 1 turn. ie: you get 1 test at your first IP then get to do something else for the remaining 3 then again 1 test for the next ip. Keeping it all fair to the low IP persons for extended tests.

Or, ignore the inconsistancy, considering that 1 IP interval is usually during combat, and 1 min+ intervals are outside of combat. Combat being what it is drives the adrenaline ya know. grinbig.gif
Leofski
QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Mar 18 2008, 12:18 AM) *

K-10 Cocktail with the beserk canceling drug. Extreme, pricy and a host of side effects, but +3 IPs from drugs ( plus the chance of permenantly going insane, though the unresisted 18s is going to kill your average wage slave so not a huge issue)
DTFarstar
While 1 IP mooks and 4IP ninjas run at the same speed, 4IP ninjas have 6 more potential sprint actions.

Chris
WeaverMount
Ok you got me. I don't consider the drug worse for you than Kamikaze. twirl.gif Also if an average wage slave with 2 body and will would MERELY be in overflow, and with 3s they would even be stable ... assuming they took at most 1 box of damage while juiced.

I'm not sure it if got cleared up, but when I was talking about IPs helping negotiations I wasn't talking about bonus dice, as I was just thinking that 2+ people running at 4 IPs could negotiate faster with each other, cover more ground etc, and close a deal in 1/4 the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012