Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exotic Pets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BRodda
OK I've checked the BBB and after all this talk about security and such I'm wondering how much some of these paracritters cost. My group had an issue with it not to long ago when our mage wanted a blackberry cat. Our GM sidestepped it by saying no one was able to locate one to buy.

However I can't see what the big deal is about buying a hellhound puppy or two and raising them. Anyone have suggestions?

I'm talking specifically:
Barghest
Hell Hound
Naga
Blackberry cats

and just for giggles stuff that runners and corps might actually have around.
Purebred dogs
purebred cats
Genetically altered hybrid pets (Lizards with fir, cats the size of dogs)
Horses
Pot belled pigs

Any others to add to the list?
Stahlseele
just a question from a cat-fanatic . . you really want a magical cat that can tell you to jump into a river if it ain't happy? O.o
aside from that, those critters should not cost too much . . not much more then todays pure bred races of dogs/cats . . i'd say about 5 to 10k depending on size of critter . . plus the propper accomodations to hold them, and you need a permit of course and all that other gooey stuff
Backgammon
Genetically engineered elephants the size of house cats are more interesting IMO. Worth a lot more money, too and make worthwile extraction targets.
Prime Mover
http://users.mtrx.net/funnypics/content/-r...re_elephant.jpg
Heres your target.

Think theres some costs for chimeric pets in Augmentation but don't have book in front of me right now.

For the rest just do quick google search for exotic pets and compare costs. Imagine anything that could catch building on fire, cause neighbors to jump out the window would require lots of regulation and fees.
BRodda
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Mar 18 2008, 10:46 AM) *
http://users.mtrx.net/funnypics/content/-r...re_elephant.jpg
Heres your target.

Think theres some costs for chimeric pets in Augmentation but don't have book in front of me right now.

For the rest just do quick google search for exotic pets and compare costs. Imagine anything that could catch building on fire, cause neighbors to jump out the window would require lots of regulation and fees.

I think maybe a little smaller on the elephant, but still a good idea.

And I looked at Augmentation quick, they just say 10K+. Not a good measure.

And I'm not sure what the cost multiplier would be for an awakened animal, like the Blackberry cat.
BRodda
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 18 2008, 10:33 AM) *
just a question from a cat-fanatic . . you really want a magical cat that can tell you to jump into a river if it ain't happy? O.o

He reads Winterhawk's web stories to much IMHO.
Rasumichin
Aaah, blackberry cats.
My favourite critter ever.
Like a hypnotoad that purrs.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Mar 18 2008, 03:33 PM) *

Who wouldn't?
They're just adorable.
Okay, there are reported cases that they might sacrifice your life to save their ass, but besides that...

Regarding the prices :
IMHO, in most cases, blackberry cats are smart enough to decide with which metahumans they're gonna live, not the other way around.
We're talking about a mind-controlling spellcaster kitty here.
Plus, PAoE shadowtalk suggested that they're usually strays who just walk up to your place and set up shop there.
Normally, prospective "owners" wouldn't mind that (read : will not be able to resist their mental command).
I'd rather have a player buy them as a connection than shell out nuyen.gif for them.

As far as genetically engineered critters are concerned, they are mentioned in Augmentation, including price suggestions.
However, they differ vastly, as many are sought-after pieces of art, with accordingly variable prices.

BTW, when we're already talking cat-sized elephants, we should not forget koi-sized whales.
I'm gonna use some of them for an aquarium in the next megacorp lobby.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Mar 18 2008, 03:39 PM) *
Genetically engineered elephants the size of house cats are more interesting IMO. Worth a lot more money, too and make worthwile extraction targets.

Sure, but they're hell on the carpeting.
rotfl.gif

I wouldn't want a naga or blackberry cat as a pet...a friend or contact, maybe, but not a pet - it'd be a bit too much like trying to own a slave.
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (BRodda @ Mar 18 2008, 09:57 AM) *
And I'm not sure what the cost multiplier would be for an awakened animal, like the Blackberry cat.

A Blackberry cat costs however much it wants to cost. And, someone will be "willing" to pay that amount.
b1ffov3rfl0w
There is no ethical problem owning a Blackberry cat, because I IZ IN UR BRANE, CONTROLLIN UR THOTS. The lesser Burberry cat, however, can only compel you to dress like a chav.
Cain
Personally, I'd factor it into the Lifestyle costs. As part of, say, a High lifestyle, you can get an exotic pet for nothing extra.
It trolls!
I want a genetically engineered dwarf cow the size of a dog for my morning glass of milk!
Apathy
Couldn't you just milk your dog instead?
Athanatos
Is noone going to mention the Surged Elven Catgirl Ninja??? devil.gif

How about one of those mini-dragons from earthdawn?

I want a gene/magi engineered mini cthulu! devil.gif

Edited to add Ninja to affore mentioned SE Kitty. The Pirate is optional.
Mr. Unpronounceable
She's not a pet, she's a plaything. There's a difference, you know.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w @ Mar 19 2008, 01:57 AM) *
There is no ethical problem owning a Blackberry cat, because I IZ IN UR BRANE, CONTROLLIN UR THOTS. The lesser Burberry cat, however, can only compel you to dress like a chav.

Most cicilized countries and corporate jurisdictions have strict laws prohibiting the ownership of Blackberry LOLcats.
paws2sky
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ Mar 19 2008, 03:21 PM) *
Most cicilized countries and corporate jurisdictions have strict laws prohibiting the ownership of Blackberry LOLcats.

But not ownership by Blackberry LOLcats.
Nor do they ban getting pwnd by them.
Its a harsh double standard.

"INVISIBLE SHADOWRUNNER!"
BRodda
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Mar 19 2008, 03:28 PM) *
But not ownership by Blackberry LOLcats.
Nor do they ban getting pwnd by them.
Its a harsh double standard.

"INVISIBLE SHADOWRUNNER!"

So is "My cat made me do it!" a real defense in court?

Heh...

Shadowrun team hired to off the mysterious leader of the Alley Cat gang. Turns out the REAL ganger leader is thier "mascot" Midnight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012