Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headware in cyberlimb
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Boba__fett
Hi everyone,
can we put a headware (like radar sensor[capacity 2]) into a cyberlimb (like a obvious full arm), or this headware can only be install into a cyber skull? Thx
b1ffov3rfl0w
As far as I can tell, there's no reason why you couldn't have any sensor in a handheld version as part of your PAN, connected through your commlink, reading out as a visual overlay in your image link. Assuming, of course, that you have an image link (and why wouldn't you?).

Teulisch
if its not in a cyberskull, then its not headware.

with the radar sensor- treat it with the same penalty for aiming as if you had a single cybereye there. it would be great for mapping your surrounding, but crap for shooting people through walls (which is why you want it). other stuff, its gonna depend on its function. some of the headware, it wouldnt actualy need to be in your head afaik

Larme
There has been a debate on this issue, and I don't think it was resolved. Some people steadfastly insist that headware could only go into a cyberskull, others think they could go in any cyberlimb.

My conception is this: there is absolutely no problem letting a datajack go into an arm, since the arm is already connected to your brain it shouldn't really matter. Same goes for all headware going into limbs.

There IS a problem with eyes and ears though. Eyes and ears have amazingly high capacity. Technically, you could fit a cybershotgun into rating 4 cybereyes. Except that's totally stupid of course. I think the most rational way to deal with that is that, except for eyes and ears, anything with capacity can accept a mod that takes up capacity. Eyes and ears though can only take eye mods and ear mods, otherwise their amazing capacity is just plain wacky.
kanislatrans
QUOTE (Larme @ Mar 18 2008, 08:04 PM) *
Technically, you could fit a cybershotgun into rating 4 cybereyes.

Maybe if I write that really ,really small on my character sheet my GM won't notice ." wobble.gif wobble.gif

'coarse he'll probably catch on if I ever needed to reload

" So tell me again why your character is inserting flechette shells into his behind..." spin.gif twirl.gif
Sponge
Here's the way I see it: A cyberarm doesn't need to be wired to your brain, it just needs to be wired to the nerves in your shoulder (in fact, this can be done today in 2008). Headware, like a datajack, needs to be wired to your brain - that's why it's in your head. I suppose you COULD install it in your cyberarm, for convenience, but you'd still need to run those wires up to your head and connect it to your brain, so it doesn't buy you anything (i.e. you still need to pay the essence).

DS
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Mar 18 2008, 09:25 PM) *
" So tell me again why your character is inserting flechette shells into his behind..."

Good news! -- it's a suppository.

(Really, though, Capacity in a cyberlimb is obviously different from Capacity in a cybereye.
Fortune
As far as I am concerned, you can install headware into a cybertorso or limb, as the capacity is compatible (the skull is considered a limb in Shadowrun). Capacity for Cybereyes and ears are totally separate (and could probably use a different name, but it's too late now).
Cardul
Personally, I operate on the "It depends" mentality. I can see you having things that have non-cyber versions implanted off your brain, and things meant to interact with those implanted that way. So, if your commlink is in your arm, and you implant your datajack in your arm...well, duh..we know what it is there for.(Also think: Robocop had his datajack "spike" where? Yeah..his fist...(and it even doubled as a Cyberspur!)
Jhaiisiin
Radar in an arm wouldn't be much of an issue in my book, but I'd make the person take a little more of an essence hit than normal (0 if in cyberarm, for instance) because of the wiring from the radar to the brain is different from the arm to the brain. Arm inputs != sight/sense inputs.

That said, where's WMS when I need him? Can standard radar work through walls? I didn't think it could because it's a radio reflection that you're reading, and the chances of getting a reflection from something on the other side of a solid surface seems mighty improbable/impossible...

*heads off to look up on wikipedia in the meantime* I'll see what that turns up, just like hearing it from the guys who deal with it on a regular basis instead. smile.gif
DireRadiant
Headware Capacity != Cyberlimb Capacity. Keep that in mind when switching cyberware around from it's "normal" location. The capacity a shotgun uses when implanted in a cyberlimb is not the same capacity unit cybereye mods take up in cybereyes. These are in different sections.

There is an example in Augmentation, p. 38, the single cybereye being located in a location other then the head and the attendant effects. I would follow the same model for a Radar Sensor implanted in a cyberlimb other then the cyberskull.
Larme
PFFFT! We're all idiots, including me. It's right there in the damn book:

QUOTE (p.330 @ "Headware")
Items
that have a Capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs
instead, costing capacity rather than Essence.

This clearly shows that headware with capacity may be installed in all cyberlimbs. If it was limited to cyberskulls only, it would have to say so.

Further proof: both eyeware and earware state that they may take up capacity in eyes and ears only, respectively. Because cybereyes and cyberears provide specific limitations on where they can go, it is reasonable to expect that ALL ware which can only take capacity in a particular kind of implant would state the same. Since headware says simply "cyberlimbs," without restriction to cyberskulls or anything else, it can go in all cyberlimbs.

It doesn't cost more, it doesn't take up more essence, there are no penalties... It just plugs right the hell in. The RAW says so.
Fortune
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Mar 20 2008, 07:41 AM) *
Headware Capacity != Cyberlimb Capacity.

Yes, actually it is. The skull, like the torso, is considered to be a limb under the SR4 rules. As such, skull capacity is quite literally the same as Cyberlimb capacity. Note that there is no 'headware capacity', merely cybereye, cyberear, and cyberlimb capacities.
pbangarth
It is reasonable to assume that pieces of cyberware, no matter what kind, can be put into a cyberlimb if they fit. What is less reasonable is to assume that one's brain can handle the input from sensors in the hands/arms/legs/feet that millions of years of evolution tells it should be in the head. The wonky movements alone should cause nausea.

Now, if you walked around like the 'child eater' in Pan's Labyrinth, with your hands up to your face, maybe it wouldn't matter, but otherwise there should be some kind of modifier.
b1ffov3rfl0w
Makes sense. Well done.
Boba__fett
Thx for your answer.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 19 2008, 07:39 PM) *
Yes, actually it is. The skull, like the torso, is considered to be a limb under the SR4 rules. As such, skull capacity is quite literally the same as Cyberlimb capacity. Note that there is no 'headware capacity', merely cybereye, cyberear, and cyberlimb capacities.

Well, so I what I wrote was technically true, but meaningless. smile.gif

I should have done is
Cybereye Capacity != Cyberlimb Capacity
Cyberear Capacity != Cyberlimb Capacity
Cybereye Capacity != Cyberear Capacity
Nightwalker450
This revelation that there are only three types of capacities, makes me want to finally add a cyber section to my character sheets. Since I only need to differentiate Cybereye, Cyberear, and Cyberlimb it'll make it less convoluted. Everything is more or less recommended locations, but not required.
Fortune
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Mar 22 2008, 01:59 AM) *
I should have done is
Cybereye Capacity != Cyberlimb Capacity
Cyberear Capacity != Cyberlimb Capacity
Cybereye Capacity != Cyberear Capacity

Only if you didn't want me to comment. biggrin.gif
cREbralFIX
I see no reason why "headware" has to be located in the head...except for the interface, of course.

There is something called "wireless" as well as "running cable".

You'd think the game designers would have thought of that. Datajack + belt mounted comp and you're golden.

In fact, it seems sort of silly to have headware. Since the hardware changes so fast, you'd be out of date by the time you healed up. Externally mounted (or cyber mounted) devices make much more sense. It's easy to upgrade and replace...hookup to the datajack and go.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (cREbralFIX @ Mar 21 2008, 11:42 AM) *
I see no reason why "headware" has to be located in the head...except for the interface, of course.

There is something called "wireless" as well as "running cable".

You'd think the game designers would have thought of that. Datajack + belt mounted comp and you're golden.

In fact, it seems sort of silly to have headware. Since the hardware changes so fast, you'd be out of date by the time you healed up. Externally mounted (or cyber mounted) devices make much more sense. It's easy to upgrade and replace...hookup to the datajack and go.

Or get it in a cyberhand and you can upgrade to whatever the latest wiz piece of gear is out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012