Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TAMMU
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wolfhound Jack
Which books have stuff about the facilities or history of TAMMU in it? (or Texas A&M&M depending on your preference)

Or is it just a few references and not much detail?
Fortune
There have mostly just been a few references down through the years. Probably the best source book for stuff from the south, and details on the area around Texas S&M ... A&M&M is Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America.
swirler
Go AGGIES!!
lol
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 20 2008, 06:39 PM) *
There have mostly just been a few references down through the years. Probably the best source book for stuff from the south, and details on the area around Texas S&M ... A&M&M is Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America.

I'll have to dig that up my latest mage character idea involves him being a graduate from Texas A&M&M. I'm glad I saw this thread.
Wolfhound Jack
So far all I've found is a reference in the 3rd edition core book that Texas A&M established its magic program in 2025, and in Neo-Anarchists guide, it just talks about the Chicago program not being as fancy as the ones at Texas A&M and MIT&T (in fact, neither book calls it TAMMU or Texas A&M&M... is that just habit?). There was nothing further in Shadows of North America.
Fortune
Ain't much more than that written about Texas A&M&M itself. Gives you a base to work from though, especially if you know a little about the current University (or are willing to do a little research).

Although I doubt it will be of any further help, you might try Aztlan.
Wolfhound Jack
Somebody told me that there used to be a lot of stuff on the Shadowrun Usenet groups. Are archives of that still around someplace?

I didn't find much else, so I wrote down a few notes.

Texas A&M University
-------------------------
Some folks refer to the school as Texas A&M&M or TAMMU. Unlike MIT&T, neither of these designations are official. However, the nicknames are part of Texas popular culture in regards to the school and do appear in unofficial stickers, logos, and merchandise.

College of Magic, Established 2026
--------------------------------------------------
Dean: Clint A. McTaggert, DMSc (Doctor of Magical Science)

Main Building: Newton Tower
#33 Hermetic Way, College Station, Texas, CAS
(While going northeast on University, turn left just after Loop 2818.)

Lab Buildings
- John Dee Hall
- Maria Sonora Hall

Residence Halls
- Sir Francis Bacon Hall
- St. Germain Hall

Associated Facilities
- Trismegistus Field (practice field and target range)

Corps of Cadets
Almighty M-1
- 2nd Brigade, CAS Army Cadets pursuing degrees in magic and/or an eventual magic oriented MOS

Monster M-2
- 2nd Regiment, CAS Navy/Marine Cadets pursuing degrees in magic and/or an eventual magic oriented MOS

Magnum 44
- 2nd Wing, CAS Air Force Cadets pursuing degrees in magic and/or an eventual magic oriented MOS

Notes
- Awakened spellcaster Cadets, like all Cadets, are also found in other distinctive Corps units such as Fightin' Texas Aggie Band, Parson's Mounted Cavalry, etc.
- By 2070, all Corps units are gender integrated

History
The College of Magic is the 2nd oldest university level magical studies program, and the oldest dedicated hermetic magic school in North America. The college was established at Texas A&M University in 2026, 9 months after the establishment of the magical studies program at UCLA in 2025 (which was the first). By 2028, the University of Chicago, MIT, Oxford, and Edinburgh also established programs. After MIT&T renamed itself in 2026, many students at A&M and elsewhere began unofficially referring to the school as Texas A&M&M or TAMMU.

In 2030, the College of Magic, working with the CAS Army, concluded a four-year study and published the results. What followed were the first CAS Army Field manuals on magical topics; Magic Fortified Squad and Platoon Operations and Tactical Combat Magery. Many of the hard lessons learned about fighting with and against Wizards and Shamans from the early years of the Sixth Age prior to the 2018 Treaty of Denver were covered in these landmark books.

In 2041, the first orichalcum alloy class rings are made available which generally do not hinder spellcasting, and have even been known to positively augment some spells. At first these rings were extremely expensive and were only available to wealthy graduates of the College of Magic or the top 12 students of the class (who would be subsidized by the College of Magic so they could afford their rings). Costs dropped somewhat after the orichalcum rush of 2061 and many graduates have gone back to buy "replacement" rings of the orichalcum alloy. Like all Texas A&M Class Rings, the orichalcum rings are regulated by the Association of Former Students.

Researchers at TAMU and other schools were instrumental in publishing the theorems of 2053, which included the now fundamental concepts of anchoring. The papers and essays of this nearly 30 year study form the basis for the core standard texts found today in libraries and schools all over the world.

General Structure
Student classes fall under the administration of one the several departments.

Classics
- Alchemy (Magical properties of materials)
- Astrology (Diviniation)
- Theurgy (Spirit and astral studies)

Arcane Kinesiology (magical augmentation of the human body and spellcasting control)

Awakened Culture (History, moral philosophy, social topics, and studies into other schools of magical thought)
- The only undergrad Bachelor of Arts programs are found in this Department. All others are Bachelor of Science programs.

Elementalism (air, earth, fire, water & elementals)

Paranatural Biology (Magical creature studies)

There is also The Trismegistus Graduate Program of Magical Science for students seeking an even higher level of magical education.

Thoughts/comments welcome.

(proud son of a grad, class of '62, Corps of Cadets - 1st Lt. US Army Signal Corps, Retired)
Fortune
What kind of other information/detail are you looking for?
Drogos
QUOTE (Wolfhound Jack)
Awakened Culture (History, moral philosophy, social topics, and studies into other schools of magical thought)
- The only undergrad Bachelor of Arts programs are found in this Department. All others are Bachelor of Science programs.

I am so stealing that for my next hermetic. I mean, how useless would a BA in Magical Culture be. That is just AWESOME!!
Wolfhound Jack
QUOTE (Fortune @ Mar 21 2008, 03:27 AM) *
What kind of other information/detail are you looking for?

Originally I had been looking to see how much was already official so that I wouldn't have to come up with stuff. When I didn't find much, I just took what was there (the order of the establishment of the magical universities and the publishing of the 2053 theorems) and ran with it.
Fortune
Well ... nice job. Looks pretty good. smile.gif
hermit
The College of Magic is the 2nd oldest university level magical studies program, and the oldest dedicated hermetic magic school in in the world. The college was established at Texas A&M University in 2026, 9 months after the establishment of the magical studies program at UCLA in 2025 (which was the first)

Changing 'the world' to 'North America' propably would make sense, as stuff from German canon apparently is considered official canon by the authors now (re Nitama in Arsenal and the Urban weapons and all that).

Other than that, nice work. smile.gif
WearzManySkins
Wonder if the Dixie Chicken will still be around in 2070?

Class of '78 here. grinbig.gif

WMS
Wolfhound Jack
QUOTE (hermit)
Changing 'the world' to 'North America' propably would make sense, as stuff from German canon apparently is considered official canon by the authors now (re Nitama in Arsenal and the Urban weapons and all that).

Other than that, nice work. smile.gif

Thanks, good point. Amended.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
Wonder if the Dixie Chicken will still be around in 2070?

Has to be, I bet they even built an add on so there's new wood to carve on. Where else can you dunk your new orichalcum ring? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012